Management Dorion’s worst moves

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Right, I should have said it looked bad to many, not all. I don't recall anyone looking at that trade at the time and thinking we'd for sure be getting a top 10 pick and Norris would blossom into what he has, but I'm sure somebody out there did given even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I think most that saw that deal as fair or good saw it that way because they had a more pessimistic view of Karlsson's value (which also has come true, at least for now) rather than an optimistic view of the return. My point though was that no matter how you viewed the trade at the time with the exception of what I assume is the minority who both saw Karlsson as steeply declining and saw future greatness in Norris and a top 10 pick, you've probably seen your perception of the trade improve significantly since the day it happened.

now now don't be condescending....you need to be careful....people get infracted for that

why so hyperbolic?

there's a few people around here that saw

the possibility that Karlsson would decline
the possibility that SJ would decline
that Norris might turn in to a player (and that he might be better than say Bowers)
that Tierney is actually an NHL player
that DeMelo with opportunity might blossom in to a player

you are right, my perspective of the trade has improved, but probably not as much as most because I wasn't starting from so far back

side note....I was looking for something in the josh Norris thread....some of the takes starting on page 1 are pretty funny

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yup but not in my top 3.
That's fair, I think it's pretty close in value to the Burrows trade though for example, probably in the 3rd to 5th worst for me if we were to superimpose it on actual Dorion moves.

I likely can't and don't really care to try and convince you to change your mind, but Burrows probably had more of a positive impact in his 35 games (playoffs included) in year one than Boedker did in both his seasons, and I really don't care for Burrows...

Contextually, it made far more sense to go after Burrows than it did to go after Boedker too, at least imo, but Burrows is a far more polarizing player, some people just dislike him which is understandably given his past.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That's fair, I think it's pretty close in value to the Burrows trade though for example, probably in the 3rd to 5th worst for me if we were to superimpose it on actual Dorion moves.

I likely can't and don't really care to try and convince you to change your mind, but Burrows probably had more of a positive impact in his 35 games (playoffs included) in year one than Boedker did in both his seasons, and I really don't care for Burrows...

Contextually, it made far more sense to go after Burrows than it did to go after Boedker too, at least imo, but Burrows is a far more polarizing player, some people just dislike him which is understandably given his past.
I just disliked Burrows before the trade. I dislike his slurs towards homosexuals and blacks(allegedly).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
now now don't be condescending....you need to be careful....people get infracted for that

why so hyperbolic?

that Norris might turn in to a player (and that he might be better than say Bowers)

you are right, my perspective of the trade has improved, but probably not as much as most because I wasn't starting from so far back

side note....I was looking for something in the josh Norris thread....some of the takes starting on page 1 are pretty funny

There was no intent to be condescending, sorry if you took it that way.

Lots of people were iffy on Karlsson going forward, that one was probably split 50/50

Some people thought SJ were going to decline fast enough for us to take advantage, but the most I recall seeing was people positing that they might just miss the playoffs, then anything can happen with the lottery.

Norris being a player was not an uncommon opinion, though lots were disappointed in him. I think a lot saw him toping out as a 3rd liner, lots of tools but hadn't shown the tool box at that point. Certainly there was some overreaction in the immediate fallout of the trade though.

Tierney was a roster player on a strong team, so not sure why you brought up that point.

DeMelo is an interesting one, because he wasn't all that young (25), wasn't qualified either. Not sure what the story is there, because the offer he eventually took was a little more than what his QO would have been. I don't recall anyone targeting him Jul 1st when he was available for free, so idk why they'd see him as a valuable piece in the trade 2 months later.

You missed Balcers btw, who was the piece that seemed to be most universally approved of, not that people were stoked about him, but I don't think anyone was upset about him.

Reactions: bert and JD1

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
1. Hoffman out. I can’t believe MD had to pretend to sound excited for Boedker.

2. Zibby out. Terrible trade but there was no way EM was going to give Zibby $5.35 x5 a few years ago.

3. Colin White - Zibby’s $5.35 x5 doesn't look so bad vs White’s $4.75 x6.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

why so hyperbolic?

I wanted to ‘agree’ with this post. It was such a we-need-to-wait-and-see trade, that had some very clever conditions on the picks.

It’s not surprising that the trade looks good for us, it’s only a surprise HOW good it looks now.

I was done with EK after his locker room feud season (captain of the team killed the room) so I didn’t have the emotional attachment at the time of the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->