Management Dorion’s worst moves

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
In your opinion what are Dorion’s 3 worst moves. Try to separate Melnyk from Dorion and also stick to hockey decisions rather than Dorions issues with public speaking and nervous statements.

1. Alex Burrows

I hated the trade even without the extension. Burrows was a biting, slur saying weasel and I threw up in my mouth when he became a Sen. The extension was so obviously horrible at the time that no excuse can be made. I didn’t even care about the return I just hated this move so much so that I called TSN1200 and let loose to Ian.

2. Condon re-signing

Simply put too much teem, too much money, and too early. This was really dumb and might be #1 if not for my disgust of Burrows.

3. Colin White signing

This one hurts to say because I believe White will be a good player. My issue is that White had no arb rights and was offer sheet exempt. I like the idea of locking him up but this seemed rushed and feels like it was done for show to Chabot and fans rather than a well thought out position.

Honourable mention - Stone handling summer 2018 (hindsight for me).

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
In your opinion what are Dorion’s 3 worst moves. Try to separate Melnyk from Dorion and also stick to hockey decisions rather than Dorions issues with public speaking and nervous statements.

1. Alex Burrows

I hated the trade even without the extension. Burrows was a biting, slur saying weasel and I threw up in my mouth when he became a Sen. The extension was so obviously horrible at the time that no excuse can be made. I didn’t even care about the return I just hated this move so much so that I called TSN1200 and let loose to Ian.

2. Condon re-signing

Simply put too much teem, too much money, and too early. This was really dumb and might be #1 if not for my disgust of Burrows.

3. Colin White signing

This one hurts to say because I believe White will be a good player. My issue is that White had no arb rights and was offer sheet exempt. I like the idea of locking him up but this seemed rushed and feels like it was done for show to Chabot and fans rather than a well thought out position.

None of those are the worst, not even close, yet you missed the most obvious one of all.

The Hoffman trade. Easily his worst move and I bet he would admit to it too.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
1. Mike Hoffman
I get that there were dressing room issues, but a team can't liquidate a player like Hoffman and have nothing to show for it. Once Boedker's contract expires, Dorion will have literally nothing to show for Hoffman, who scored 36 last year and will likely hit 30 this year.

2. Mika Zibanejad.
Zibanejad has become a legit 1C for New York at the age of 26, and all Ottawa has to show for him is Filip Gustavsson (who is trending towards busting), JBD, and the 3rd they got for Ian Cole. They also gave up a 2nd in the Zibanejad trade. I like JBD, but when he looks like the last remaining asset for Zibanejad... that's not a good situation.

3. Matt Duchene
Not much needs to be said here. It was a serious misreading of the situation. Hopefully Abramov, Thomson, and Davidsson pan out, because they're all the team has to show for 4 OA, Bowers, and Turris (who could have returned Girard, Kamenev, and a 2nd if he were traded on his own).

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Missing:

- the first Duchene trade (0bvious)
- Zibanejad trade
- Hoffman trade (his hands were tied but still)
- Zack Smith signing

Good moves:
- Brassard trade (JBD+Gustavsson+Tychonick)
- Dzingel trade (Duclair+2 2nds)
- Karlsson trade (2020 1st, Norris, Balcers, Tierney, Sogaard, 2021 2nd, 2020 3rd)
- Namestnikov trade (hopefully trading him away is good too)
- Condon trade in 2017

I'm probably missing a few

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
1. Mike Hoffman
I get that there were dressing room issues, but a team can't liquidate a player like Hoffman and have nothing to show for it. Once Boedker's contract expires, Dorion will have literally nothing to show for Hoffman, who scored 36 last year and will likely hit 30 this year.

2. Mika Zibanejad.
Zibanejad has become a legit 1C for New York at the age of 26, and all Ottawa has to show for him is Filip Gustavsson (who is trending towards busting), JBD, and the 3rd they got for Ian Cole. They also gave up a 2nd in the Zibanejad trade. I like JBD, but when he looks like the last remaining asset for Zibanejad... that's not a good situation.

3. Matt Duchene
Not much needs to be said here. It was a serious misreading of the situation. Hopefully Abramov, Thomson, and Davidsson pan out, because they're all the team has to show for 4 OA, Bowers, and Turris (who could have returned Girard, Kamenev, and a 2nd if he were traded on his own).
Hoffman in terms of straight numbers is by faaaarrr the worst and looked the worst the second the trade went through. I cant believe that dorion was fooled by boedker though like he simly can not be that ridiculous. I really dont think anyone was taking hoffmans alledged baggage.

the zibajenad trade was ridiculous lol and always will be.

matt Duchene I dont hate. he went for it, we crumbled. should he be held accountable sure the buck has to stop somewhere but at the same time, the biggest mistake was not acquiring Duchene it was assembling karlsson Hoffman chabot Duchene stone dzingle and handing them over to Guy Boucher.

saying that I think hiring Boucher was his worst move.

GOOD THINGS:

Karlsson trade is turning out nice.

flipping a declining brassard for nice little pieces was good

dzingel trade obviously

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

1. Alex Burrows

2. Condon re-signing

3. Colin White signing

How are you forgetting the Hoffman trade? That's easily #1 and its not even close.

Reactions: bert

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Missing:

- the first Duchene trade (0bvious)
- Zibanejad trade
- Hoffman trade (his hands were tied but still)
- Zack Smith signing

Good moves:
- Brassard trade (JBD+Gustavsson+Tychonick)
- Dzingel trade (Duclair+2 2nds)
- Karlsson trade (2020 1st, Norris, Balcers, Tierney, Sogaard, 2021 2nd, 2020 3rd)
- Namestnikov trade (hopefully trading him away is good too)
- Condon trade in 2017

I'm probably missing a few

Nilsson trade was a good one.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

1. Alex Burrows

2. Condon re-signing

3. Colin White signing

That's right, start a best worst thread without any context, great...

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Hoffman was by far the worst.

The first Duchene trade was very bad.

The Zibanejad trade was bad and made worse by the fact that we essentially paid a 2nd rounder for 3m in cash

The Burrows trade was fine. Weak market and he was wise to make some "buyers" moves.

The Smith extension wasn't amazing, but didn't handicap us at all.

The 2nd Duchene trade was ok, as was the Stone trade.

The Brassard trade was very good, as was the Dzingel trade.

The Nilsson trade was a underrated one, too.

The Karlsson trade was a good one.

I liked and still like the Ceci trade.

His minor acquisitions (Gibbons for Siellof, Beaudin for McCormick, Goloubef for Carey, 6th for Wideman) have all been good, imo, although of very little consequence

Not sure I would call that a steal, especially considering we are a budget team and Smith's contract is cheaper than Anisimov's.

No it isn't

Smith was owed 6.5m, Anisimov was owed 5m.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Not sure I would call that a steal, especially considering we are a budget team and Smith's contract is cheaper than Anisimov's.

Anisimov had a SB that was paid out by the Hawks, he's actually cheaper (with a higher caphit) which is an added bonus for the Sens.

I still wouldn't put it in the top three deals mind you, but it's looking good so far.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Low key worst move ever made by Dorion (even though it may not have been his decision) was hiring an asst GM to negotiate contracts and then not even negotiating any. For the money they are probably paying him they could probably staff two more pro scouts, or a few full time analytics guys, or someone to empty the garbages.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The title of the thread should read:

"Dorion and Melnyks worst moves"

We all know about the elephant in the room at this point, but that doesn't absolve PD of responsibility for his moves.

Anyways, back on topic, I think Dorion has made as many good moves as bad moves, it's just too bad some of his worst deals were "big" deals while the deals he's clearly won are (more often than not) minor.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
1. Mike Hoffman

2. Mika Zibanejad.

3. Matt Duchene

Great summary.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Not trading "25 goal scorer" Zack Smith when it was f***ing obvious at the time he was never going to repeat that success.

Reactions: Gesus

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Are we talking with or without the benefit of hindsight?

Either way, I think an honourable mention to re-signing Anderson when he did. A full year before it was needed, unlikely anyone would have been knocking down his door to steal him from us, and backfired spectacularly.

Hoffman deal was bad. Not that he could have gotten full value, obviously that ship sailed before he pulled the trigger, but the decision to take on Boedker made no sense from the get go.

Zibanejad for Brassard was a hockey trade, and while there were ways to rationalize the decision, we overpaid to get Brassard and Brassard wasn't an ideal target by any stretch.

The Duchene deal backfired spectacularly, but I think it only qualifies as a worst move with the benefit of hindsight, while I think the others above were bad both in hindsight and going in. Don't get me wrong, there were warning signs on this one too, but hindsight is really what pushes it over the top.

To me, the last one is Boucher, I think his dull system started the ball rolling on the current apathy which has obviously since been compounded for reasons we don't need to get into. Hiring Boudreau instead would have created far more excitement among the fan base both in terms of getting the best guy available and in terms of the style of play he employs, and I think he's a far superior coach.

For what it's worth, on the positive side:

1. Karlsson trade looks like it is panning out better than anyone could have expected, and it was very close to netting us another 1st (vice the 2nd we get in 2021) had SJ managed to get past the blues. They mishandled the situation about as much as is imaginable imo, but when it comes to the end result, the current perceived value of a top 10 2020 pick, Norris (among AHL scoring leaders at 20 yrs old), Balcers, 2019 2nd (44th OA, i don't like that we subsequently traded it to move up but that's another issue), a 2021 2nd, DeMelo (traded for a 3rd) and Tierney is probably as good as anybody was hoping for at the time. This has the potential to be as good or better than the Yashin trade depending on how things shake out (it will be a long time before we know if any pieces match up to Spezza and Chara).

2. Dzingel for Duclair and two 2nds. I thought this was a great trade when I expected we wouldn't be qualifying Duclair. Duclair is younger and has been better offensively and a more complete player than Dzingel, so landslide win for us.

3. Brassard, Dunn and a 3rd for 22nd OA, Cole, Gustavsson, and 3rd. Great value imo, Not much more to be said.

Reactions: DrEasy and Gesus

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Hoffman not being on OP's list is laughable. I will never understand the urgency to move him out because of a feud with EK, who he had every intention of moving before training camp as well. On top of that, two savvy GM's conspired and stole his lunch money like a couple of 6th graders picking on a 2nd grader.

The Hoffman/EK thing blew over so quickly. All they realistically had to do was come out with a statement to calm the waters saying they are working closely with both parties to understand and resolve the issue, and they'll have no further comment at this time.

Management wise it was a complete failure on every level. I'm terrified for when another difficult situation arises and Dorion craps his pants because he has weak hands and no experience in his front office to lean on. The tear down and asset collection is the gravy part of the rebuild.

Reactions: PM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad