Don't you hate it when you go play pickup hockey and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Agreed. I think shooting at the net when it's lying down is a waste of time and energy. At least with shooting at posts, you have to TRY a little. And it sure helps your accuracy.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i like pushing the net over forward and shooting into the top netting - bottom post doesnt count as in. dont like posts cuz if you dont hit it but it goes in the play stops - the other has more flow and you can work on low shots. sorry jiggs - didnt see you already mentioned that.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
A fun place to play on Long Island is Ice Works, where the Isles practice. They have a half rink that makes for some fun pond hockey. Anyhoo, they have these nets that are basically just 2 columns about 6-8 inches wide going up each post, a five hole column going up 2 feet, and a bar along the ice. It's not a goalie but it's more fun than the shooter tutors. If you miss one of the areas, where there would be a goalie, the shot goes straight to the boards.

Does anybody know the correct name for these things? Or even what I'm talking about?

canadahockeygirl*

After playing pickup yesterday, I came to a conclusion on things I hate during pickup and wanted to rant about.

I absolutely hate it when guys won't shoot on me because I'm a chick or because they think I'm not good enough for them to shoot on so they'll pass around until they give me a lame ass dribbler-- which more than likely goes in since I suck at stopping those because I think too much. I realize every time I put on the pads that pucks will fly at me and may miss a piece of padding, but that's a chance I willingly take. No one is forcing me to stand in the net during pickup. I'm not going to leave the rink in tears because a guy hit me with a puck. I won't break in half, either. It's insulting and it pisses me off. Even if I can't stop the shots, at least don't insult me by not taking one. I'd rather it went in and made me work at stopping it instead of dribbling between my legs.

hipcheck85

Where is Triggrman?
Mar 12, 2002
Nashville / Via NYC
Visit site
canadahockeygirl said:

I absolutely hate it when guys won't shoot on me because I'm a chick or because they think I'm not good enough for them to shoot on so they'll pass around until they give me a lame ass dribbler QUOTE]

We always looking for goalies in our pick up games in Nashville. Just fly down every wednesday. We'll shoot it at ya!!!!

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
It's the unspoken rule here to play "take-back" with only one goalie.

People struggle with it at first but once you get used to it, it's not bad.

canadahockeygirl*

hipcheck85 said:
We always looking for goalies in our pick up games in Nashville. Just fly down every wednesday. We'll shoot it at ya!!!!

Yeah, if it were really cheap to fly down I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I wonder if any other goalies do what I do when they can't make pickup games-- I give my equipment to someone else so there can be a goalie.

bruins4777*

You guys are ALL crazy. I think goalie is without a doubt the most fun position to play. Posts is boring. Goalie is fun. I love playing goalie. You can do so much. You can play your style, reflex, make something new up, etc. Just watch a bunch of hockey and have fun trying to mimic those guys, thats what i do when i'm bored.

I dunno, i play for money so i have the drive to make saves and such. If we only have two people outside of me we either do one on one's or 2 forwards trying to score on me. Or just me and another person they just try to score. IF i make 10 straight saves i get a buck, if they score 5 straight goals they get a buck. Rather fun, especially since i'm up 12 bucks so far this year.

usmhuskies

bruins4777 said:
You guys are ALL crazy. I think goalie is without a doubt the most fun position to play. Posts is boring. Goalie is fun. I love playing goalie. You can do so much. You can play your style, reflex, make something new up, etc. Just watch a bunch of hockey and have fun trying to mimic those guys, thats what i do when i'm bored.

I dunno, i play for money so i have the drive to make saves and such. If we only have two people outside of me we either do one on one's or 2 forwards trying to score on me. Or just me and another person they just try to score. IF i make 10 straight saves i get a buck, if they score 5 straight goals they get a buck. Rather fun, especially since i'm up 12 bucks so far this year.

You need better shooters taking those shots... :)

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
canadahockeygirl said:
Yeah, if it were really cheap to fly down I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I wonder if any other goalies do what I do when they can't make pickup games-- I give my equipment to someone else so there can be a goalie.

I wish people would do that, I wouldn't mind playing goal every once in a while. Shinny often gives the goalie quite a few shots to deal with, and is quite exciting.

BUT I HATE WITH THE TURN THE NET BACKWARDS, dont they understand that the hockey puck is not meant to bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad