Post-Game Talk: Don't worry folks, Andersen won't play tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Well, as I said, it wasn't my bs. But is this breaking rules? If so, will desist. I really didn't think too much about it, but Tavares, to me, seems sluggish and maybe 1/4 step slower than I remember from last year.

between you and I it's possible, but what I'm thinking is why in the world would that info be available outside his house or his dressing room for that matter

is he unhappy because he isn't playing as well as he'd like, is he just a little miserable because as a new Dad like any new Dad isn't getting enough sleep

is he unhappy because that shiny new truck he bought is a piece of crap...nobody knows if he is or not, with the exception possibly of those people closest to him

then again it could all be BS from a buddy who just wants to sound important

the reason I say that is that there are so many reporters in and around Toronto media who are inside and who have no love for the Leafs would already be spreading a rumour like that in order to sow doubt and dissension.

Do you remember when Simmons said he heard from somebody who knew, that Sundin would never play hockey again because of a hip so torn up that it was done? It cost Simmons access for 4 years, and Sundin played 3 more seasons.

Either way it's nobodies business, not your's, not mine and certainly not you're pals if he's got that big a mouth.

As far as how JT looks, he's actually skating better then last year as he worked hard on it in the off season, he is also according to most of the Toronto media, arrived in camp in the best shape of his career, his numbers are solid all around, in fact career average, no noticeable fall off in the micro stats. Impressions are funny things

Reactions: Confucius

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
ok fine, best offensive team in the division. Smith, Allen, Campbell, Hutchinson, Price, Demko, Markstrom, Hellebuyck, Brossoit, Rittich, and Koskinen have all been better than Andersen and the majority are also cheaper than him. It's not really a good hill to die on that the offense is letting the team down and Andersen is carrying his weight

hockey is not just about offense and goalie. proper team construction implies rounding out the team with best possible offense AND DEFENSE and goalie.

DEFENSE doesn't mean just D-men but a complete buy in from the team to play 2 way hockey. If the 40 million dollar club consisting of 4 players (all forwards and 50% of the cap) isn't going to pull its weight in the offensive category and the 2 way play people jsut blaming the secondary scoring or the goalie is unreasonable and unfair

Reactions: Leafsfan74

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Last year when Hutch won a couple of playoff games for the AVs, and many still called him a bad goalie. Now some claiming he is better than Andy.

Andy has played poorly but he might have a lingering LBI that he is trying to play through. Still half a season for him to get it together.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
hockey is not just about offense and goalie. proper team construction implies rounding out the team with best possible offense AND DEFENSE and goalie.

DEFENSE doesn't mean just D-men but a complete buy in from the team to play 2 way hockey. If the 40 million dollar club consisting of 4 players (all forwards and 50% of the cap) isn't going to pull its weight in the offensive category and the 2 way play people jsut blaming the secondary scoring or the goalie is unreasonable and unfair

The forwards are doing better defensively than previous seasons though. Nylander and JTs line in particular has a goals against rate of like half of what it was last season. And there's no Ceci or Barrie in the D core anymore.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The forwards are doing better defensively than previous seasons though. Nylander and JTs line in particular has a goals against rate of like half of what it was last season. And there's no Ceci or Barrie in the D core anymore.

They are not paid to do "better" they are paid to win games for the Leafs. I am nto interested in participation trophies anymore. They wanted to get paid big and they got paid big. now is the time to deliver. if goalie stinks up then they gotta outscore the problems. if they didn't want to take such responsibility on their shoulders than they should not have asked for heft contracts so the team could have been rounded out a lot better

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
between you and I it's possible, but what I'm thinking is why in the world would that info be available outside his house or his dressing room for that matter

is he unhappy because he isn't playing as well as he'd like, is he just a little miserable because as a new Dad like any new Dad isn't getting enough sleep

is he unhappy because that shiny new truck he bought is a piece of crap...nobody knows if he is or not, with the exception possibly of those people closest to him

the reason I say that is that there are so many reporters in and around Toronto media who are inside and who have no love for the Leafs would already be spreading a rumour like that in order to sow doubt and dissension.

Do you remember when Simmons said he heard from somebody who knew, that Sundin would never play hockey again because of a hip so torn up that it was done? It cost Simmons access for 4 years, and Sundin played 3 more seasons.

Either way it's nobodies business, not your's, not mine and certainly not you're pals if he's got that big a mouth.

As far as how JT looks, he's actually skating better then last year as he worked hard on it in the off season, he is also according to most of the Toronto media, arrived in camp in the best shape of his career, his numbers are solid all around, in fact career average, no noticeable fall off in the micro stats. Impressions are funny things
As you say J T playing at about his career average. Can't really expect more from someone than perform as he always had.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The Leafs are the 2nd best offensive team in the league, and Andersen is the 3rd best goalie just on the Leafs. It's not hard to figure out what part of the team isn't carrying their weight
With the amount of money spent on our top 4 forwards, with so little for everything else, the only thing I’ll ever blame for a loss are those 4 forwards.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
JT is on pace for 20 goals 70 points over 82. Nowhere near his career averages.
His assists are average for his career. His goals are slightly down, if he went on a 6 goal spurt in 4 or 5 games he would be average there as well. Not a big dropoff and can be turned around in a half dozen games much like Willy.

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
Last year when Hutch won a couple of playoff games for the AVs, and many still called him a bad goalie. Now some claiming he is better than Andy.

Andy has played poorly but he might have a lingering LBI that he is trying to play through. Still half a season for him to get it together.
I’m sorry but Freddy has s**t the bed in every big game situation under pressure. Do you not remember Leaf fans ragging on the Sens when they had one of the leagues best offenses and Patrick Lalime couldn’t stop a beach ball when it mattered most?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Andersen does not have the mental fortitude to be the guy to carry them deep in to the playoffs and win a cup. How many times does this need to be proven.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
40 million dollars is tied up in the 4 forwards (i.e. approx 50% of the cap). The offense has to win the games for the Leafs more often than not. You can blame the goalie all day long if you like but the 4 guys together have to score more than other team's offense
Great slogan but letting in almost 2 goals every 11 shots or so will create an offense that wont matter much.

Reactions: Gallagbi

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Here is what I am interested in. Do we, very, sophisiticated Leaf fans, cause, Leaf fans are very sophisticated. Want to rely, on just what we see on the ice. Or like sports detectives, do we want a few more delicate clues.

I didn't post anything, imho, really contentious. But perhaps, all of us ravenous Leaf fans, might like an occasional, clue, that might not be all that available?

All I can say, is I hope to prove in the next day or two, my old friend, Borje Salming who imho, was the best dman, in Leaf history, might saddle up and be an ambassador for a Swedish company, I think he could benefit and at the same time rebrand him.

Which, at the same time, prove, that I am not whistling out of the side of my mouth. Yet at the same time, as you saw, it wasn't really all that contentious.

Nothing like you see out there online these days. And I admitted, my associated definitely swerved, out of the way out of any specifics.

When you get to know ex nhlers and current NHLers, they are really, ultra paranoid about saying anything. Their agents and the NHL have really made an impression there.

I am not Steve Simmons. He clickbaits. Guess he has to . Its his livelihood.

Many of my Leaf big time fans thought signing Tavares was short sighted. I however, thought it was really good.

I didn't see Covid coming. If I did, if Dubas did, and every other GM in the league did. It would probably have meant, a lot different outcome for that contract. Flat cap, is not good for us.

So on closing, I hope to have Borje back out there in the social media in a few days. But I am guilty, bit time of loving the Tavares signing. I followed the guy, since he was 16.

NHL is so fast now. So quick. It is imo, turning against him.

Be ultra cool if NHL gm's could take out derivatives, insurance on some of these Carey Price, Shea Weber, John Tavares signings.

Anyways, I still really like Tavares. Always have.

Guy is like a high level Hyman. Who reached that level way, way before Hyman.

But 11 million? He hit a grandie imo and good for him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’m sorry but Freddy has s**t the bed in every big game situation under pressure. Do you not remember Leaf fans ragging on the Sens when they had one of the leagues best offenses and Patrick Lalime couldn’t stop a beach ball when it mattered most.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Andersen does not have the mental fortitude to be the guy to carry them deep in to the playoffs and win a cup. How many times does this need to be proven.

Agreed but Dubas acquiring a #1 is a longshot. If Andy does have an injury it could explain why he has played poorly lately. If we see another repeat this playoffs, Dubas is going to be roasted because ultimately he hitched his cart to Andy.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Are you referring to Travis "I went to the Jake Gardiner school of headfakes and jimmy shakes" Dermott? That guy is NEVER going to be more than a 3rd pairing D...he always hesitates with the puck...and then does the wrong thing. He brings ZERO offense to the game with questionable defense to boot. At least with Reilly you can say he provides some scoring to help balance his atrocious defensive play. I like every single guy on D except those 2.
I agree with everything. If Muzzin or Brodie get hurt for any length of time, especially in the playoffs, we're in big trouble.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
Would be interesting if the NHL kept records for officials in terms of penalties called, against whom, which players. Would love to do a little digging on Graham Skilliter and crew.

The NHL does keep those records. They keep them confidential. Every referee and linesman is assessed on every game they officiate. The results are indexed, tabulated, and analyzed on an ongoing basis. One of the indices compiled links to uncalled penalties.

Yes, you would love to do a little digging on whatever official you have a current hate for, but you'll have to do it without access to the NHL's databases.

I know of at least three American graduate students, two of them in statistics and maths, who are compiling a database of every flag thrown in the NFL. Perhaps you and your friends could do that for a selection of NHL games?

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Freddy apologists used to drive me nuts but there’s fewer and fewer of them. I wonder why?

I’m not one to bash a player but the guy is a proven loser and hasn’t been able to provide a clutch save literally ever when he needed - he folds every time. He used to at least save it for the playoffs to turn into a choke artist but now he can’t even manage the regular season.

When Jack comes back, I’d be shocked if they didn’t try him out and give him more starts. Really hope to see Freddy get more bench time, maybe some rest and a reset will fix his game.

Reactions: RaptorLeaf13

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
40 million dollars is tied up in the 4 forwards (i.e. approx 50% of the cap). The offense has to win the games for the Leafs more often than not. You can blame the goalie all day long if you like but the 4 guys together have to score more than other team's offense

The leafs have scored 3+ goals 21 times this year - they've lost 4 of those games, and all 4 losses came with Freddy in net.

4 times they have scored 2 goals, and thy went 2-2 in those games, with Freddy in net for both losses.

4 times this year they scored 1 or fewer goals, and lost all 4.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

They usually do, even when Andersen is not doing too hot. Literally the only reason why Andersen has a good looking record the past two years.

However if your goalie is consistently spotting the other team 3 or 4 goals in a game when your defense is playing well enough for the goalie to give up at most 1 or 2, then you have a trash goalie.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Anderson is mentally fragile, he loses focus clearly, that Foudy goal vs Columbus in a game with limited chances is a gift to Columbus and a massive moral blow to the Leafs. Any big pressure game, Anderson is average or worse. As if weak goals that he has let in, were not enough proof of mental weakness then look no further than his body language post goal. He looks depressed, rattled, angry, he looks like a spoiled kid who wants to scream at the team vs looking in the mirror. Dubas should have moved Anderson before the season.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Some of these these guys, the big bucks, really doesn't faze them. If there was a psych test, or a metric, on who is going to go phew, on the big bucks, well, that would be a good psych test.

Course everyone would try to cheat lol.

Andersen was a seventh rounder. Who hit the jackpot, big time.

He is a big, hefty, sorta nervous anxious guy.

I want Curtis Joseph or Ed Belfour please.

Meanwhile, kinda tough to watch this. No goalie, not tickie, no laundry. in the NHL, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->