Don't use the Carter is unmotivated and partying line this year

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
6. Jeff Carter, F, Los Angeles Kings -- Carter is the perfect example of how one player can make a major impact on a team. It wasn't like he lit things up when he joined the Kings last year (six goals in 16 regular season games), but it allowed guys to return to their natural spot in the lineup. It also gave opposing teams one more weapon to think about. It's possible he starts the season at center if Anze Kopitar misses time (although Kopitar looked pretty good at practice on Thursday) and GM Dean Lombardi sees a maturing player in great shape.

"He's never been in this kind of shape in his entire career," Lombardi said Thursday. "He's one of our top-conditioned guys, I don't think anybody would have said that about him before … We forget that when these kids break in at 18,19 years old, they're very young. What you're seeing is a guy becoming a real pro. That's certainly what strikes me the most."

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Carter got owned by Bolland, but it's Bolland..... I like Carter better at wing.

It lets Carter do what he does best, Shoot the puck.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
6. Jeff Carter, F, Los Angeles Kings -- Carter is the perfect example of how one player can make a major impact on a team. It wasn't like he lit things up when he joined the Kings last year (six goals in 16 regular season games), but it allowed guys to return to their natural spot in the lineup. It also gave opposing teams one more weapon to think about. It's possible he starts the season at center if Anze Kopitar misses time (although Kopitar looked pretty good at practice on Thursday) and GM Dean Lombardi sees a maturing player in great shape.

"He's never been in this kind of shape in his entire career," Lombardi said Thursday. "He's one of our top-conditioned guys, I don't think anybody would have said that about him before … We forget that when these kids break in at 18,19 years old, they're very young. What you're seeing is a guy becoming a real pro. That's certainly what strikes me the most."

Certainly when he was shown with his shirt off on his day with the cup he wasn't carrying much body at all. He was in excellent shape, without question.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Carter got owned by Bolland, but it's Bolland..... I like Carter better at wing.

It lets Carter do what he does best, Shoot the puck.

God yeah. Bolland was low-key awesome yesterday. Carter got wrecked at center.

Carter at center reminds me a little of Stoll: shoot first guy, shouldnt' really be the puck carrier. Can't wait till we can get him back at wing.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I thought Carter played well, was motivated, and had decent fight in him a long the boards. I think Richards was the most unspectacular King last night. Didn't really seem to be playing hard and was fumbling the puck around constantly. The ice was bad, but the Hawks played through it, he couldn't put it together. I was impressed by Carter though.

The whole team needs a kick in the ass, and I am sure Sutter will have them ready for the Avalanche. It is nice to have some extra time to correct this while other teams are playing double headers today.

Nefarious

Classless Doty
Jun 27, 2006
King's Landing
It was the first game, so I'm not reading too much into it. However, it is a shortened season so they need to get their $hit together asap. Everything was out of sync.

Perhaps the team should pretend their playing a playoff game. That's when Brown and Richards really shine.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
SC celebration opening day. an afternoon game. exactly what i expected, i put nothing in it except a few concerns, which i completely expect to be handled by Sutter and his staff quickly.

HUGE concern when it comes to Quick. He showed it last Monday on the televised practice. I've seen it in the different video segments. And it was obvious yesterday. JQ is not 100% yet. If he was just cleared medically within the past week, then he hasn't had the chance to do much for prep work. He looks slow post to post so far and he doesn't look as sharp as we've grown used to. He was having rebound issues yesterday and his glove hand looks a bit slow.

He needs time I think for conditioning, strength and flexibility to return. My guess is due to the back surgery he wasn't and hasn't been able to his usual offseason regime.

This is the chance for Bernier to prove his worth. Show his skills and show the league he has the ability to be a #1. While doing this it allows the staff to get JQ worked back up, without potentially getting injured. If anything he's going to pull or tweak a groin, trying to do what he knows what he can do but isn't quite up to Quick speed.

2- Kopitar and the O lines. I expect him back within the next two games. once he is back then the lines go back to normal and then we've got our horse down the middle. Carter back to the wing and DB back to LW. All will return to normal then.

3- Willie. Once again (even though it was game) it shows how vital 33 is to the LA D corp. DD may be the big name with the big contract and making car tire commercials. But the LA D is completely reliant on having 33 back there on the second pairing. I said it last year and i will say it again now. When he retires the team NEEDS to offer him some type of coaching - consultant position to help develop LA's kids. He is such a steadying and calming force back there.

We need 33 back asap, but not until he can play without hurting himself and missing additional time.

Yesterdays D lines looked horrible. The #2 line of Amart and VV just doesn't work. To much indecision and youth out there at one time for me. The #3 of Greene and DD44 is the opposite of the #2 combo. Go back to what worked last season with one PMD, with one stay at home guy. Looked like the matching may of had more to do with having a left and right hand shot on each pair. Line them up and play how the D corp has played for months - 1 PMD and 1 SaH guy.

Kings will have plenty of time on the road to start. This gives them and the staff more time to rally together and get things on track in this short season.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
SC celebration opening day. an afternoon game. exactly what i expected, i put nothing in it except a few concerns, which i completely expect to be handled by Sutter and his staff quickly.

HUGE concern when it comes to Quick. He showed it last Monday on the televised practice. I've seen it in the different video segments. And it was obvious yesterday. JQ is not 100% yet. If he was just cleared medically within the past week, then he hasn't had the chance to do much for prep work. He looks slow post to post so far and he doesn't look as sharp as we've grown used to. He was having rebound issues yesterday and his glove hand looks a bit slow.

He needs time I think for conditioning, strength and flexibility to return. My guess is due to the back surgery he wasn't and hasn't been able to his usual offseason regime.

This is the chance for Bernier to prove his worth. Show his skills and show the league he has the ability to be a #1. While doing this it allows the staff to get JQ worked back up, without potentially getting injured. If anything he's going to pull or tweak a groin, trying to do what he knows what he can do but isn't quite up to Quick speed.

2- Kopitar and the O lines. I expect him back within the next two games. once he is back then the lines go back to normal and then we've got our horse down the middle. Carter back to the wing and DB back to LW. All will return to normal then.

3- Willie. Once again (even though it was game) it shows how vital 33 is to the LA D corp. DD may be the big name with the big contract and making car tire commercials. But the LA D is completely reliant on having 33 back there on the second pairing. I said it last year and i will say it again now. When he retires the team NEEDS to offer him some type of coaching - consultant position to help develop LA's kids. He is such a steadying and calming force back there.

We need 33 back asap, but not until he can play without hurting himself and missing additional time.

Yesterdays D lines looked horrible. The #2 line of Amart and VV just doesn't work. To much indecision and youth out there at one time for me. The #3 of Greene and DD44 is the opposite of the #2 combo. Go back to what worked last season with one PMD, with one stay at home guy. Looked like the matching may of had more to do with having a left and right hand shot on each pair. Line them up and play how the D corp has played for months - 1 PMD and 1 SaH guy.

Kings will have plenty of time on the road to start. This gives them and the staff more time to rally together and get things on track in this short season.

If Gagne stays in the top six like people want, Brown stays at RW, Penner comes out of the top six.

Last edited:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The whole team needs a kick in the ass, and I am sure Sutter will have them ready for the Avalanche. It is nice to have some extra time to correct this while other teams are playing double headers today.

You have no idea how lucky the Kings are that they were off today. I was watching some of the other games last night and one of the analysts mentioned that he recalled coming back in Jan after a spring injury and how no matter how many practices he had with his teammates, nothing replacates a real game. He said by the third period, eveyr mucsle, esp his thighs were burning and he was out of breath. He said it took about 4 games to get back to where he felt good. I watched about 6 games on and off and that's what I saw, missed passes, bad timing, poor play. Except for Tampa bay and Florida, who both looked good anbd Columbus (good for Bob, stood tall and got the W over Rinne ina shootout. Another Flyers blunder giving up on a very young goalie who has a lot of promise)

The Flyers weren't so lucky, 2 games less than 24 hours apart and 2nd one on te road today in Buffalo. The had little left by the time the 3rd period started, heavy legs, tired muscles and looked gassed/ They are now 0-2 with a strong possibility of being 0-4 by Friday . Tues is the Devils, who usually beat them and Thursday is the Rangers who always beat them. It doesn't get a whole lot easier. They ahve 7 games in 11 days . When your defense is terrinble and too many of your forwards don't know how to win board battles or defend their zone, it turns out badly.

Kings need to win Tuesday because Thursday is Edmonton and all those kids...

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I love how 6 goals in 16 games isn't lighting it up. It's a 31 goal pace. It's not Carter's best numbers, but it's not terrible either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad