Don't Trade for Expensive Rentals!

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I didn't mind the Nash trade. He could have been better, but we also dumped some of Beleskey's contract which was great. Spooner had no future here, Lindgren + 1st for effectively Nash was fine by me. A little rich, but he was the top fish.

We had a chance to win last year but we desperately needed top-6 help. Unfortunately he got injured and wasn't great but I don't put Sweeney at fault for that. He had to make a big move, he made one without giving up too much.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
(borderline: Grabner for 2nd+Rykov)

Decided to include this one too - because of the stuff I have heard about Rykov as a prospect - but it should be acknowledged that this is a borderline case for an expensive rental. As a reward for the young team for a great season, the Devils added speed to what was already a lightning quick team. For two decent future assets, they received exactly zero playoff points, got bounced in the first round, and then the rental left in the summer. Worth it?

Verdict: fail. Whoever is likely to go against Tampa this April should take notes.

One problem is that you're looking at this like "Stanley Cup or bust" and that's not always the case with rental trades. Back in the day, a lot of teams didn't turn a profit until they got in a few home playoff games. As much as we like to think all the owners are altruistic and don't care about profit, I think we've seen that sort of pressure cause GMs to make certain moves.

The 2017-18 Devils barely made the playoffs. Part of being a GM is managing egos and personalities. After a good first half, the team was still in a playoff spot but fading (Jesper Bratt hit the wall, Marcus Johansson was out with a concussion). Our annual west coast road trip was after the trade deadline. While Grabner didn't mesh for the most part, he did have a couple good games down the stretch. I was fully prepared for that road trip to sink our playoff hopes (at Nashville/Vegas/LA/Anaheim/San Jose/Pittsburgh), but the team went 5-2.

If the Devils missed the playoffs, perhaps some voters would have felt compelled to shift their ballots towards Nathan MacKinnon instead of Taylor Hall? If you're Hall, you might still be sitting today with the stigma of never having made the playoffs, no Hart Trophy, and some bitterness towards the organization for not at least trying to make the playoffs. Meanwhile he's entering the final year of his contract. So while the Grabner trade didn't provide that immediate value, perhaps there'll be some residual effect in the Devils attempting to extend Hall.

As much as we all like draft picks, realistically how many 2nd rounders really pan out? Rykov is a nice darkhorse prospect, but I'm not losing sleep over that. The Rangers did what they should have done and collected assets. But I think it would have been a poor strategy for the Devils to have sat on their hands and been like "Welp, we're not really a Cup contender, so why bother? Oh by the way Taylor, let's talk contract."

And the bolded part hasn't aged well.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Value of late 1st's is wildly overrated on this site. Yes they are still very good assets but they might end up bringing next to zero impact to the team when all is said and done. A rental practically always provides an impact of some extent.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Teams will always do this. A GM in a win or bust situation is always going to try to improve. If you don't win, you get fired and the picks are none of your concern. At least you try to improve your team and go out swinging if you're going to be fired anyway.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
We have been burnt twice on rentals in Winnipeg two years in a row.

Stastny and Hayes were a waste of a first rounder and walk for nothing.

That's the because you got the consolation prize rentals.

But based on the garbage proposals I was seeing from Jets fans in the Stone thread, you guys don't seem to understand the value of a good rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad