Don't Trade for Expensive Rentals!

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Was fine standing pat last year
Was blown away by Stastny trade
Never expected him to stay
Would not undo that trade
This year I look at the roster and say "now you know what it takes to get there"

And stand pat*

*I'm fine with tossing a cheap, experienced soldier forward in the press box for injury fill ins on the 4th line.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
But what's one cup worth though?

While I agree there are obvious blunders that should be avoided, I can't say that all of these even when the team fails to win the cup are in that category.
Personally? It gave me about a 3 year window of not caring if the Bruins won a single game all year. Hard to quantify that I guess!

As for the Nash deal, you won’t find too many fans that cried over losing Spooner or Belesky. The first meh, who cares.

If a team has a window to win sell your soul to make it happen. I’d rather win 3 cups in a decade and go through a 5 year window of sucking afterwards than watching a team flounder for 5 decades never even getting a sniff at the chance

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The Pens literally won two cups because of the Kessel trade. Curious that it wasn't mentioned.

Only one team can win each year. I'd like to see what the winners did at the deadlines to see how it looks. My point is that sometimes it works and is a massive reason why a team wins.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Personally? It gave me about a 3 year window of not caring if the Bruins won a single game all year. Hard to quantify that I guess!

As for the Nash deal, you won’t find too many fans that cried over losing Spooner or Belesky. The first meh, who cares.

If a team has a window to win sell your soul to make it happen. I’d rather win 3 cups in a decade and go through a 5 year window of sucking afterwards than watching a team flounder for 5 decades never even getting a sniff at the chance
You also have to be willing to accept that those deals are no guarantee of anything.

You could make those bold moves and come up empty like LA did in 2015 getting Sekeras at the tdl and then Lucic in the draft.

Not much separates teams today.

Those dead may push you over but they may do nothing.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I didn’t realize they playoffs were over yet. But they’re welcome to hang their “Second Round Participants” banner now if they’d like to.

This site loves pushing its goal posts.

"Oh yeah, well beating the president's trophy winners in 4 games isn't good enough."

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
The Pens literally won two cups because of the Kessel trade. Curious that it wasn't mentioned.

Only one team can win each year. I'd like to see what the winners did at the deadlines to see how it looks. My point is that sometimes it works and is a massive reason why a team wins.

Kessel wasn't a rental nor was he acquired at the TDL.

Reactions: kladorf2005

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Why is it that these observations always fail to see the easy stat? There can only be one Cup winner so therefore, by necessity, the vast majority of deadline deals will have been of no consequence.

A ton of failed examples within a model that must necessarily produce at least 15 failures is not in itself damning evidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZzZz

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Kessel wasn't a rental nor was he acquired at the TDL.

True, he was not a rental. But he was acquired midseason for a cup run, which is kind of the purpose of the trade deadline.

Makes sense why he wasn't mentioned though. However, my point remains.

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
Why is it that these observations always fail to miss the easy stat?

There can only be one Cup winner so therefore, by necessity, the vast majority of deadline deals will have been of no consequence.

Similar to how every year we get to hear about how 15 teams are just a bunch of chokers.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
True, he was not a rental. But he was acquired midseason for a cup run, which is kind of the purpose of the trade deadline.

He was actually acquired in the offseason but yeah there are similarities but it's not totally in the spirit of this thread.

Last edited:

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
This site loves pushing its goal posts.

"Oh yeah, well beating the president's trophy winners in 4 games isn't good enough."
The Jackets may very well win the cup, or make the conference finals. In either of these cases, trading assets for rentals would have proven to be a good decision. It’s just a bit premature to suggest that it was “worth it” when the initial post has done more than enough to prove that most of the time, trading assets for rentals does not lead to the success that the team is looking for.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I am strictly against rental. Especially ones where you give up a first. The Muzzin deal this year was very solid for both teams though and Muzzin was a huge add for us. Good thing is we get him next year too

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Rentals aren’t just on the TDL, take my KINGS for example....
We traded
13th Overall
Martin Jones
Colin Miller
For
Milan lucic
Who walked at the end of the season and we lost out on Barzal or Connor.
Jones almost led the shorks to the cup.
Miller is putting up points with VGK..

This was a F&$king terrible trade that still stings..
As does the Ben Bishop for Erik Cernak trade!

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

No he wasn't. Kessel was acquired during the offseason, not midseason. You're right that he wasn't a rental though.

Reactions: kladorf2005

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I didn’t realize they playoffs were over yet. But they’re welcome to hang their “Second Round Participants” banner now if they’d like to.

Lets be clear eyed. Columbus was desperate to win ONE series. They couldn't lose their best two players as UFA's that refused any attempt to keep them and miss the playoffs. The damage to the franchise would have been deep. Now, they have at bare minimum given their fan base something to cheer about and a reason to wait for them to retool the team. That's if they dont win another game and lose all the ufa's.

They have accomplished what they needed to. It was a massive victory

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
That just isn't true. You can derail a team by bringing in a player like that just as easily as improve them at all. The Shattenkirk trade. He was never comfortable with the Capitals and said that. He bumped John Carlson off the power play that was already performing well. That upset numerous long tenured players in the locker room.

The TDL acquisition can say two things. That management believes in the team's chances and is willing to spend for them or that management doesn't trust them and thinks they need more. Shattenkirk was the latter. Marion Hossa was the former.
To be fair, that person mentioned only forwards. And forwards are easier to add into the mix than D.

The way these things seem to happen in the NHL is it looks like there is a GM doing his job and a coach left to put it on the ice, rather than a partnership. The Shattenkirk situation seems like a case of not filling a need, but making a big glitzy add just to add a weapon. Kind of like his next stop around the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad