Don't sleep on the Wild

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Goldeneye, Sep 11, 2019 at 5:54 PM.

1. HBK27

HBK27 Registered User

They're in the top 16 in The Athletic's pre-season preview, which is saying something, as it's a very good, detailed analysis. Definitely caught my attention that they're ahead of the 17-20 teams (Jets, Flyers, Canadiens & Islanders) as I've been expecting them to appear every day this week in one of those spots.

So, probably looking at a 50/50 shot of making the playoffs and as we saw this past Spring, anything can happen once you get in.

That being said, that is one hell of a tough division and the teams they were chasing (at least Dallas and Colorado, possibly Chicago) got better while only Winnipeg really got worse, so it's tough to be too optimistic on them...but I'll keep an open mind once the preview comes out (tomorrow?), as they seem to see an upside that many non-Wild fans probably don't.

2. Nharris31

Nharris31 Registered User

Defense who’s top 4 would you rather have
    Minnesota’s Chicago’s or Winnipeg’s?

3. serp

serp Registered User

Thats a tough division and the Wild have one of the oldest rosters in the league with multiple of their older guys having major injury history as well . They'd have to stay healthy for the season and even then i just don't see it. None of the signed prospects are all that great either . Some good NCAA and european prospects still overseas but those won't make an impact this year.

I think they'll stay competetive for most of the season but fall just short of the playoffs in the end similar to last season. The teams core needs an overhaul imho.

What the Wild could really use though is a high draft pick and rebuild the team around that guy together with Dumba und Donato and maybe Fiala (?) . The Suter/Koivu/Parise core has run its course . It didn't go very far in the playoffs but they made a the playoffs 6 years in a row . Now their old core is around 35 and some of the guys the Wild hoped would step up and take over from them just didn't.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 11:16 PM
  4. Devil Dancer

Devil Dancer Registered User

Meh, bubble playoff team with no real chance to contend for the Cup. I like BB a lot, but this roster isn't going to get him to the promised land.

kerrabria likes this.
  5. Monsieur Gustave H

Monsieur Gustave H Coming Home

They've had the same core for half a dozen years, they're deservedly slept on.

6. Nharris31

Didn’t know Coyle,Niederreiter and Granlund we’re still on the roster.

7. serp

serp Registered User

Big part of the core of the Wild is still Suter / Parise and Koivu . Obviously the guys you mentioned didn't pan out to take over from those and got traded but that doesn't mean a new core is already in place that could take over from the aging vets.

8. Machinehead

Machinehead ★★★YNWA★★★

Professor
    The unintentional humor of the thread title is 10/10

Ryan Michaels likes this.
  9. BlueMed

BlueMed Registered User

I'm straight up hibernating on the wild. Get it?

Nsjohnson and kerrabria like this.
  10. Nharris31

You or I for that matter have know idea how Donato,Fiala, Greenway, Jee or Kunin going to be this year.

11. Falco Lombardi

Falco Lombardi The Diamond of HFWF

Aren't you the guy that went around the other Central Division boards last year asking what everyone thought of your team and getting upset when most picked them 6th or 7th telling us how your guys would prove us wrong last year?

They're not. That's part of your problem. Charlie Coyle was fantastic in Boston. Nino Niederreiter fit in great with Carolina. Granlund was traded for a guy, who if everything goes right for, might become as good as Granlund.

Your best forwards are 36 year old Mikko Koivu (coming off a torn ACL), 35 year old Zach Parise (hasn't played a full season in over half a decade), 34 year old Eric Staal (scored only half as many goals as he did the year before) 32 year old Mats Zuccarello (not exactly the beacon of health), etc.

You see a trend there? Lot of old guys who can't reasonably be expected to trend upward. For comparison's sake, the Stanley Cup Champs in your division have exactly 2 forwards at the same age or older as your best forwards but they're both bottom six guys playing lesser minutes.

I'll give you that it's a very solid top 4 defense (though not one I would rank above Nashville, St. Louis, or Dallas) and honestly I think the only team with a goalie I trust less than Dubnyk is Colorado and that's only because Grubauer hasn't really had much time to establish himself as a starter. You could argue Crawford, but I'd take Lehner over Dub, and trying to argue Binnington when he's got that big shiny chalice thing.....yeah no.

Minnesota is mediocre and I will quite comfortably hit the snooze button on them....again.

12. serp

serp Registered User

Donato is the only guy i consider a wildcard to have a really good year. The rest doesn't look that promising to me. Some of those guys have been in the league for quite a while and have not exactly taken the league by storm. I do not think thats a core the Wild can and should build around .

The Wild i consider one of the teams in dire need of a high draft pick . Now i don't know or even think that they will be bad enough for that but they sure as hell could use young top end talent .

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 12:21 AM
  13. Nharris31

To bad they they will never be lucky enough to get high draft pick. Look how lucky Winnipeg, Chicago and Dallas got. For example Dallas Misses the playoffs moves up in draft lottery picks third Winnipeg misses playoffs moves up in draft lottery pick picks 2nd. Chicago misses the playoffs moves up in the draft lottery picks third. Wild miss the playoffs moves down in the draft lottery.

14. pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo Registered User

Home Page:
    There is no team I hate more than the Wild given their consistent mediocrity and their fan base consistently defending it.

Hopefully Kaprizov comes over and becomes their Panarin.

Gaborik was literally my favorite winger throughout the 2000s so I hate to talk trash on the Wild.

15. BlueDream

BlueDream Registered User

How can you tell someone to not sleep on a team when their owner himself fired the GM after one year because his moves were so weird? Not even their ownership believes in this team right now.

In the polls section I believe they were just voted near the bottom 5 in the NHL when ranking Cup contenders. Now, I don’t agree they’re that bad. They’re better than the worst teams in the league for sure.

But they are not a threat at all.

16. KCC

KCC Registered User

Bubble team possibly and a team who has never been able to put it all together. That won't change again this year.

17. Goldeneye

Goldeneye Hockey Bettor

Never said they're a cup contender. And i agree, they likely won't be again. This was more directed to the people already counting them out of the playoff race while using the "missed the playoffs, old!" arguments. Honestly, i've seen way more people not even mentioning them, instead of saying they're a bubble team.

Bubble is fine and i agree with it.

And be surprised again? Mediocre teams shouldn't be hitting 100 pts seasons, like they did twice in the last 3 years with a very similar roster.

That's a weird assumption. If the owner didn't believe in his team why not just let a GM run rampage and make them bad? He wanted a quick change because he still believes they can be a playoff team. Plus, genuinely didn't agree with how the previous GM handled his everyday tasks, that much i heard. Nothing to do with giving up on the players.

Well, considering the Wild were in a playoff spot before Koivu and Dumba suffered season-ending injuries, how about better health being a reason?

Also some of the guys that they have acquired in the last ~6-7 months will be more comfortable being there from day 1 of camp and find their spots. Guy like Fiala had a tough time getting going late in the year.

Who said it was unintentional? :D

Didn't know that, well that's nice to see.

Machinehead likes this.
  18. hockeyguru

hockeyguru Registered User

the team is in perpetual mediocrity and is among one of the most irrelevant teams in the league.

19. StanleyCup55

StanleyCup55 Registered User

Most likely the Wild won't do squat this year but I think the Central will NOT be as good as everyone thinks in 2019-20.

Nashville will be very good
    Dallas looks to be primed for a great year but we'll see how it all pans out
    Colorado should be good but still has holes
    St. Louis will drop off big coming off their Cup win
    Winnipeg is definitely taking a step back
    Not sure why all the hype on Chicago this year. They have Kane and Toes, that's about it. They did shore up some holes but are getting old and beaten up. They may start well but won't last.

Even if the Wild somehow won the division this year they would get bounced in the first or second round and you could say that about this team for the past 10 years. This team needs a guy that can bury it. They certainly have potential to improve a lot with the young guys who will have a lot more ice time this year but we will see how Greenway, Ek, Kunin and company do. Will be fun to watch and hope they can turn the corner and this team can finally get some excitement (goal scoring) going. It's been tough to watch this boring team for all of us for a damn long time.

20. CanadianPensFan1

CanadianPensFan1 Registered User

Nah, just have Uncle Gary in your pocket .. like the Pens do.

21. Beauner

Beauner Registered User

me:
    [​IMG]

yikes

Hrkac Circus likes this.
  22. Coffey Filter

Coffey Filter not a homer

Wild are very good at putting me to sleep.

23. Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11 Go Vegan Sponsor

Same as every year, they can finish anywhere from 3-5 in the division and make the playoffs, but they're not really a threat. Nobody has the Wild circled on their calendar and until they actually challenge for the division and/or make a deep run, it will continue to be this way.

24. TheGoldenGod

TheGoldenGod 5 Star Man

I've been to 4 games (2 of them in the playoffs) and from what I've seen, the atmosphere and fanbase are great. With that said, that franchise needs a make over in the worst way - roster, uniforms, that christmas color scheme, etc. And say what you want about Parise/Suter, it seems that franchise has lacked real star power for the longest time. It's freaking Minnesota. They should be one of the premier NHL markets in the US. If they were competitive this year, it wouldn't even surprise me but they're not winning anything until they hit the reset button on that roster and build something new.

25. Falco Lombardi

Falco Lombardi The Diamond of HFWF

And what happened since then? The roster got worse, the best players got older and injured and the vast majority of the division got better.

But aside from that, I don't get the premise of the argument being made with this whole thread.

"Don't sleep on the Wild, even though I admit they're probably not a cup contending team, they could easily be a bubble team and finish 9th"

I mean.....okay but I don't know that that's something I'd want to hang my hat on, especially considering what the Wild have been for seemingly ever.