Don't look now, Edmonton is 3rd last

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
There is an unhealthy obsession from non-oiler fans about our team in the mains. You guys need to chill out with these threads.

I think we’re just tired of seeing the best player of our generation be wasted away. We want to see what McDavid could do with a real hockey team.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Except there is no such thing as a loser point. Last time I checked, both teams can't lose.

The fallacy exists due to the winning point the OT winner gets. Teams that win in OT actually think they "beat" their opponent, and I find it funny.
What I find funny is that you receive a point just for making it to overtime. 5 on 5 or 3 on 3 makes no difference. You can just sit back and not even try to score a goal, and you get rewarded with a point.

Quef***inpasa?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I think we’re just tired of seeing the best player of our generation be wasted away. We want to see what McDavid could do with a real hockey team.

Thanks for your concern. I guess you'll just have to wait until Edmoton becomes one then. Will give McDavid the team he needs. The tumors in our organization are going to be ripped out soon or later. If McDavid does leave, it better be after the complete obliteration of the upper management that put us in this mess. They most of all must pay for the suffering they have put oiler fans through.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I really thought they'd turn it around enough under Hitchcock to threaten for a wildcard spot. I conclude two things:

1) Hitchcock is done. He needs to just retire or take a management position if he needs to keep hockey in his life.
2) The roster is fatally flawed as currently constituted. (I know this is no revelation to Oilers fans.) But the bad news is that competent management is needed to make the substantial changes needed.

The bright side? At least Edmonton owns their own 1st this season.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I can almost see the first overall pick....feel it

oilers-lottery.png

Wasn't on this site when we got the McDavid pick. So I want to relive this one more time, just to see the unprecedented levels of whining.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
If they draft a good player this year it still doesn't help them very much in the short term. There are structural problems with the team. Even if they get 1st overall again I don't think they are a playoff team next year.​

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Except there is no such thing as a loser point. Last time I checked, both teams can't lose.

The fallacy exists due to the winning point the OT winner gets. Teams that win in OT actually think they "beat" their opponent, and I find it funny.

...and last time I checked, if one team wins, the other team loses -- except in the NHL's warped sense of reality.

And isn't that what overtime is for in sports -- to determine a winner? Football, basketball and baseball don't award anything to the losing team just because they got to overtime.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
IF they win the lottery, you assume RNH is moved for defensive help right?

Say RNH for Pesce?

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I never expected the Oilers to be good last season, I didn't expect them to be good this season, so no surprises.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Says the opposite. It's harder to make the playoffs in the West, because it's so competitive.

In-conference games SHOULD be a wash. Because of the whole overtime-point system then that's not quite true - if one conference plays more overtime games that doesn't mean that conference is better, it just means their games were closer so the ratio of points awarded to games played is disproportionately high...

...but the only real way to evaluate the competitiveness of one conference relative to the other is points earned in cross conference games.

And East is ahead of West on that count by (if my calculator skills didn't fail me)... 444 points to 403.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
What I find funny is that you receive a point just for making it to overtime. 5 on 5 or 3 on 3 makes no difference. You can just sit back and not even try to score a goal, and you get rewarded with a point.

Que****inpasa?

Both teams get rewarded that single point.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
How many bash threads are honestly needed?

There’s like 5 more you could have posted this in.

it's never enough
it's because of Edmonton that a truly genuinely shit team like LA won't be guaranteed a 1st overall pick
so keep'em coming boys!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I can almost see the first overall pick....feel it

oilers-lottery.png

Wasn't on this site when we got the McDavid pick. So I want to relive this one more time, just to see the unprecedented levels of whining.

HF: Lol, Edmonton getting another first overall pick for being the laughing stock of the league over the past decade.
HFOil: HAHAHAHA STOP Whining Noob!!@! AHAHA

Small victories right?

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
...and last time I checked, if one team wins, the other team loses -- except in the NHL's warped sense of reality.

False.

There can be a "winner" without there being a loser.

And isn't that what overtime is for in sports -- to determine a winner?

OT in hockey is NOT there to determine a winner or loser. It's there to hand out an additional point without actually having a loser.

Football, basketball and baseball don't award anything to the losing team just because they got to overtime.

Football and baseball OT / Extra Innings is still played under the same parameters the sport is supposed to be played.

Reactions: bukwas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad