Don't Hate the Drake: Drake Batherson selected in 4th round (121)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Always nice to see a player show up for the big games, a nice quality to have. Even Formenton had a good game.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
This sounds like a fun game. I’m going to start keeping a spreadsheet of who I would take instead of the Sens pick and see how it turns out ten years later. This is me with like zero live scouting knowledge and in the later rounds Probably picking random people.

A guy did that for the Habs over the past 5 years and posted about it on the main board. He even developed a software to help him do so. You should check it out, it's really interesting.

He was probably 13 when he posted that

It's only been a day since he posted it so he's probably still 13.

Reactions: Union2017

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Reactions: derriko

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
My only criticism so far is that he allowed himself to make trades. If I did it, I would make every selection based on the real life draft position of the Sens. The main point to me is to see how you would fare given everything equal focusing on the actual draft pick.

I know what you mean although I also understand why he did it. If you (an NHL team) don't particularly want anyone at a pick, you will try to move down. He also made it so that he "lost" every trade value-wise. I think there is merit to his approach as well as the one you would take.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My only criticism so far is that he allowed himself to make trades. If I did it, I would make every selection based on the real life draft position of the Sens. The main point to me is to see how you would fare given everything equal focusing on the actual draft pick.

He also seems to have a mis understanding that his newly appointed chief scout has an impact on trades. Thats not how it works.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This sounds like a fun game. I’m going to start keeping a spreadsheet of who I would take instead of the Sens pick and see how it turns out ten years later. This is me with like zero live scouting knowledge and in the later rounds Probably picking random people.
I like it. A suggestion: let's make a thread and everyone can make their selections for at least the first few rounds on or slightly after draft day. No trades; just players available at the sens pick. Then we're all on the record for the future.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ray Ferraro was talking about Batherson on the radio yesterday. Said he's not going to become Stone (who he really likes btw) but expects him to be a really good player (got the feeling he expects him to be a 2nd liner). Said Batherson surpassed his expectations in all regards; better shot than expected, better IQ, better skater, ect.

Made a comparison of Grabner without the same hands for Formenton, not sure if he fits in as a middle six or a bottom six guy.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ray Ferraro was talking about Batherson on the radio yesterday. Said he's not going to become Stone (who he really likes btw) but expects him to be a really good player (got the feeling he expects him to be a 2nd liner). Said Batherson surpassed his expectations in all regards; better shot than expected, better IQ, better skater, ect.

Made a comparison of Grabner without the same hands for Formenton, not sure if he fits in as a middle six or a bottom six guy.

I like Formenton, he did take a few bad penalties in the tournament, he's very competitive and more dirty then I thought. His speed alone on any line is what we need.

Batherson also has that magic quality to him, like Justin Williams.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I see a more physical, less skilled Mason Raymond in Formenton.

Formenton-Pageau-White has the potential to be a classic third line.

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I don't see Grabner at all. Grabner is pretty soft and I don't think that by his prime that Formenton will have much worse hands than Grabner. I also think Formenton has better vision/passing ability. I see somewhere between Dzingel and Kreider. I think Formenton could be a really unique player. Depending on how much he fills out his frame I could see a bit of a prime Milan Michalek in there, with a bit more meanness. That's pretty exciting if you ask me.

I see a more physical, less skilled Mason Raymond in Formenton.

Formenton-Pageau-White has the potential to be a classic third line.

Again I don't see Raymond other than the speed. Raymond was the definition of a perimeter guy. Formenton goes to the net and mixes it up on almost every shift (perhaps too much at times). One of his best assets is his motor. If he puts in the work to improve certain areas he'll be a beauty 2nd liner.

I do like a Formenton-Pageau-White line as early as next year though. Complete pain in the arse to play against.

Can you tell I'm pretty damn high on Formenton. :thumbu::D

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

I definitely get Grabner vibes from Formenton, albeit more physical. was just thinking about that the other day.
As said above me, Kreider would probably be a good comparison

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't see Grabner at all. Grabner is pretty soft and I don't think that by his prime that Formenton will have much worse hands than Grabner. I also think Formenton has better vision/passing ability. I see somewhere between Dzingel and Kreider. I think Formenton could be a really unique player. Depending on how much he fills out his frame I could see a bit of a prime Milan Michalek in there, with a bit more meanness. That's pretty exciting if you ask me.

Again I don't see Raymond other than the speed. Raymond was the definition of a perimeter guy. Formenton goes to the net and mixes it up on almost every shift (perhaps too much at times). One of his best assets is his motor. If he puts in the work to improve certain areas he'll be a beauty 2nd liner.

I do like a Formenton-Pageau-White line as early as next year though. Complete pain in the arse to play against.

Can you tell I'm pretty damn high on Formenton. :thumbu::D

Ferraro was struggling a bit to come up with a comparable for Formenton, and clearly went to Grabner because of the speed. He likened their ability to use their speed to be disruptive, and commented about using him on the PK (Grabner is a pretty good penalty killer himself)

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
This is an extremely fun video to watch.

I don't see him scoring too, too many goals at the NHL level but he could be a fantastic 2nd liner/fringe 1st line guy. 15-20 goals + 30-40 assists seems like a very realistic expectation for him, imo.

Will take some time before he gets there.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
This is going to be a big forward group if these prospects hit. Tkachuk + Brown + Batherson + Formenton + Chlapik

Reactions: topshelf15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad