Don't Fear the Reaper... Fear the Bank Collector!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
OK, so I wrote this nice long (surprise!) assessment of everyone's financial status at this early stage, but I couldn't register for some reason and lost the post.

So let me summarize:

Almost everyone is losing money - especially those who spent big to reach contender status. In fact, only the Lightning are scheduled to make a substantial profit this year, which just goes to prove one thing: people in Tampa will pay to see anything!

Some teams are in particularly dire straights:

The Sens and Kings are tied for bigger money losers on the season (not counting playoff and endorsement dollars, of course) with roughly $25-million deficits, but where Mike McEwan's Kings (as the HFNHL's richest team - cash reserves of almost $75-million!) can afford it, the apparently leaderless Sens will be almost $5-milliion in the hole by season's end.

The Coyotes are also flirting with bankruptcy, although their situation is more easily fixed as their actual losses are not bad, they are just working with limited cash reserves.

The Avs are in the most dire predicament, as they are due to go bankrupt sometime in the next week or two if drastic measures are not taken...

And here I thought my Jackets showing a loss of almost $5-million was bad (especially as it leaves me with less than $1-million in the bank!), but it turns out I'm in one of the better loss positions as compared to the rest of the early playoff challengers... just something for us all to think about when it comes time to start negotiating player contracts.

Here's a suggestion - let's all waive one or two high-paid players and let them rot in the minors. If everyone does it, we'll keep parity, and save the league millions! Ah, wait - that would be collusion - we wouldn't want the Player's Association to get a hold of that! ;-)

Last edited:

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Ohio Jones said:
Here's a suggestion - let's all waive one or two high-paid players and let them rot in the minors. If everyone does it, we'll keep parity, and save the league millions! Ih, wait - that would be collusion - we wouldn't want the Player's Association to get a hold of that! ;-)

Especially not now that they have a charismatic leader in Reggie Swingstein! :D

HFNHL Red Wings

Donga said:
Collusion is a university students best friend when in dire need of help. Only effective when not caught.

Luckily you're not in Canada Dion. Especially since 3 of us in this league work for a company that administers Student Loans on behalf of the Canadian Government :-P

In regards to losing money. It's the same old debate. We are now exactly like the NHL, you not only need to make the playoffs to break even and grab a slice of the average annual $165M in HFNHL playoff revenue. In addition we have the potential endorsement money which is net new to the league this year ... well to the teams that chose to participate anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad