Don't count on Fresno getting another hockey team

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
this is a prime example of the distrust between AEG/ASM Global and most Western fanbases that started root 7 years ago and the issues as to how ASM Global views their contracts with each city and venue.... when you hear/see/read a franchise like Calgary getting negative feedback over how the venue is being operated with their tenant owned/operated franchise..... it harkens back to that "business" decision by ASM to let a market like Manchester and its venue go simply because it doesn't fit into their strategy

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Don't count on Fresno getting another hockey team

I wasn't.

Me neither. And it is good to see the NHL is going to follow my dream AHL configuration - all teams in one city. The AHL is next. All teams moving to Milwaukee and being called the Admirals!! On our way!!!

this is a prime example of the distrust between AEG/ASM Global and most Western fanbases that started root 7 years ago and the issues as to how ASM Global views their contracts with each city and venue.... when you hear/see/read a franchise like Calgary getting negative feedback over how the venue is being operated with their tenant owned/operated franchise..... it harkens back to that "business" decision by ASM to let a market like Manchester and its venue go simply because it doesn't fit into their strategy

I do not think there is any distrust between the fanbases and these guys. Most people couldn't name the arena operator if you spotted them the name. Between the teams and the city and these guys? maybe but definitely not the fanbase.

And the "business" decision to let a market like Manchester go? Really? I suppose you have all the financials and business strategy documents from AEG/ASM associated with the operations in Manchester to back up your implied meaning that Manchester did fit into their business strategy.

Get over it. Manchester got a new arena. Portland didn't. Neither have AHL teams and BOTH are completely irrelevant to the topic of fresno. I would bet that the fanbases in California do not even know where Manchester is located or that they even had a team at one time.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I would bet that the fanbases in California do not even know where Manchester is located or that they even had a team at one time.
You got that half right, Tommy. Pretty good chance that at least several dozen Ontario Reign fans know that "Manchester" is a major Avenue (aka, CA-42) running west-to-east in L.A. County, from Playa del Rey just north of LAX thru Westchester (passing Randy's Donuts with its world famous giant donut on the roof) thru Inglewood (passing the iconic Great Western Forum) and finally passing under The 110/Harbor Freeway to its end at Hooper Ave. where the name changes to Firestone Blvd. Been there, done that, finally found the freeway I was looking for. :help:

Reactions: Tommy Hawk

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I think there's no way Vancouver places their AHL affiliate in BC.

The only realistic option to me is buying the ECHL Idaho Steelheads, then perform a franchise swap with the Comets, such that the Steelheads are now in the AHL, and the Comets in the ECHL. The ECHL franchise would be sold off again, and could link up with Buffalo and Rochester further down the road, allowing Cincinnati to hook up with Columbus and Cleveland.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

The only realistic option to me is buying the ECHL Idaho Steelheads, then perform a franchise swap with the Comets, such that the Steelheads are now in the AHL, and the Comets in the ECHL. The ECHL franchise would be sold off again, and could link up with Buffalo and Rochester further down the road, allowing Cincinnati to hook up with Columbus and Cleveland.
Your version of "realistic" is certainly ... something ...

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Where do you get these ideas? The Idaho Steelheads owner didn't sell for Seattle. What in your delusional mind makes you think he'll do it for Vancouver?

And that's besides the point, since the Canucks owner is on the record as saying the only place for the Canucks AHL team besides Utica is in British Columbia, likely Abbotsford or Chilliwack. Canucks owner says Abbotsford one ‘option’ for farm team - Abbotsford News
Forget Abbotsford, Canucks Extend AHL Affiliate Deal With Utica Comets – FVN
The time is right for the Canucks to move their AHL team to Abbotsford | Offside
Canucks owner says Abbotsford one ‘option’ for farm team - Chilliwack Progress

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Just tossing something out there — admittedly with limited knowledge of hockey in the Pacific Northwest. I realize the WinterHawks are the prominent team in Portland but has the city ever been considered for an AHL franchise?

In looking up franchises on HockeyDB, it seems that the last pro hockey played there was in the 1970's (going back to the early part of the last century, there was once a franchise in the precursor of the NHL, which I believe the Patrick family of NHL lore either ran or played for).

Is the city a viable option for an NHL franchise and if not would smaller cities such as Salem or Eugene be options? (can see no evidence of hockey being there in the past).

It would seem from both a geographical and economic standpoint (again, with little knowledge of the hockey communities in that area) that would seem to work for either Seattle or Vancouver to compete with the California franchises.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

Where do you get these ideas? The Idaho Steelheads owner didn't sell for Seattle. What in your delusional mind makes you think he'll do it for Vancouver?

And that's besides the point, since the Canucks owner is on the record as saying the only place for the Canucks AHL team besides Utica is in British Columbia, likely Abbotsford or Chilliwack. Canucks owner says Abbotsford one ‘option’ for farm team - Abbotsford News
Forget Abbotsford, Canucks Extend AHL Affiliate Deal With Utica Comets – FVN
The time is right for the Canucks to move their AHL team to Abbotsford | Offside
Canucks owner says Abbotsford one ‘option’ for farm team - Chilliwack Progress
AHL-ECHL swaps rarely work out for both party's Robert Esche and the management in Utica are smart enough to know that.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
AHL-ECHL swaps rarely work out for both party's Robert Esche and the management in Utica are smart enough to know that.

I was more into it being a horrible location for a AHL team, the fact Vancouver ownership said the only other place for the Canucks AHL team was in BC, Idaho's past refusal with Seattle, etc. But what you're saying just adds on to the absolute ridiculous nature of what Big Z Man is and has said.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Just tossing something out there — admittedly with limited knowledge of hockey in the Pacific Northwest. I realize the WinterHawks are the prominent team in Portland but has the city ever been considered for an AHL franchise?

In looking up franchises on HockeyDB, it seems that the last pro hockey played there was in the 1970's (going back to the early part of the last century, there was once a franchise in the precursor of the NHL, which I believe the Patrick family of NHL lore either ran or played for).

Is the city a viable option for an NHL franchise and if not would smaller cities such as Salem or Eugene be options? (can see no evidence of hockey being there in the past).

It would seem from both a geographical and economic standpoint (again, with little knowledge of the hockey communities in that area) that would seem to work for either Seattle or Vancouver to compete with the California franchises.
realistically, Tony, Vulcan, which has split interests in both Seattle and Portland as to why the Blazers are the focus in Portland and Oregon, overall outside of the NCAA.... THEN all you have to realize is there's a segment of fans who "rebel" against a market, perceived or reality, to them....and now with Paul Allen not the central figure there in Oregon, especially, not so much with the Mariners/Seahawks/Sounders/ and whomever OVG deems NHL Seattle to be....

there is a segment of fans that think Sounders FC VS. Portland Thorns (MLS) IS a rivalry unto itself, but that has basis in the EPL SUCH as Manchester United VS Manchester City as a prime example...

this question more crosses the border discussions of why Eugene, and Kent(Seattle Thunderbirds) are WHL Territory, than ECHL or AHL.... which is more of a Seattle type discussion and why OVG elected to go Palm Springs and why there.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Portland is at the size where it would be awkward to give them the affiliate of a team from a nearby city they're not much smaller than. It is also a big rival of Seattle in their shared sports, so that's a big automatic out.

Salem and Eugene don't have arenas and have doubtful hockey interest. Eugene has a large community rink that was rumored to be looking at joining the NAHL, but that hasn't happened.

The hockey situation in the Pacific Northwest isn't changing any time soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad