Confirmed with Link: Donato to San Jose for a 2021 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I get that he had no place on this roster, but how is that the best deal you can get. A late 3rd next year?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I get that he had no place on this roster, but how is that the best deal you can get. A late 3rd next year?
If he wasn't tied to the Dubnyk deal it's hard to imagine this was the best Guerin could get from anyone. It feels like he blinked by trying to offload Donato early before all the dominoes fell and he risked being stuck with a player that had no place on the roster. I don't like it, but maybe he's got bigger things planned.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
If he wasn't tied to the Dubnyk deal it's hard to imagine this was the best Guerin could get from anyone. It feels like he blinked by trying to offload Donato early before all the dominoes fell and he risked being stuck with a player that had no place on the roster. I don't like it, but maybe he's got bigger things planned.
i kind of get the feeling this was the "sweetener " for the duby trade and it just went down seperately.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
eh, wish it could've been more. Hot take though, I think Donato is severely overrated by Wild fans. I do think the Wild misused him and he deserved more ice time. I just think a lot of Donato lovers ignored his weaknesses.

Unfortunately, he suffered under the log jam of LWs the Wild have.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I said it in the trade thread a few days ago Donato's value wasn't what people thought, and I thought his value straight up was probably a 3rd rounder.

There is plenty of tape on the guy at this point, despite the puck skills, he doesn't have the skating to stick in a top 6 role. With his frame, you either need to be fast or strong on your skates. He's neither.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
A 3rd to basically dump $2 million in payroll is how I look at it. He has a nice shot but he was hard to watch on his skates and along the boards....BG hopefully is looking for that team that again is hard to play against every night. Donato was not a piece that fits that.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm very curious now, with the Donato deal sealed. Lebrun says a Dubnyk deal, "if completed", would be announced later today. Russo wrote in the Donato article that Dubnyk gave the green light over the weekend.

So what's the hold up?

Reactions: Digitalbooya

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
eh, wish it could've been more. Hot take though, I think Donato is severely overrated by Wild fans. I do think the Wild misused him and he deserved more ice time. I just think a lot of Donato lovers ignored his weaknesses.

Unfortunately, he suffered under the log jam of LWs the Wild have.

He got the icetime he earned. Despite the narrative, he got his chances up the lineup and he disappeared every time. He's likely to bounce around the league for a decade on cheap contracts putting up decent scoring numbers from the bottom 6.

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Maybe the league at large just doesn't value Donato the way some folks here do. Shocker, I know....but hear me out. Maybe that's why they're running front offices and we're here commentating on it? Just a thought.
Same as any other day. When GMs confirm our biases they're sensible pragmatists. When they don't they're idiots.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'm very curious now, with the Donato deal sealed. Lebrun says a Dubnyk deal, "if completed", would be announced later today. Russo wrote in the Donato article that Dubnyk gave the green light over the weekend.

So what's the hold up?
Im thinking its what the return/ sweetner would be. With these deals separated, the wild will probably need to give the sharks something

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Im thinking its what the return/ sweetner would be. With these deals separated, the wild will probably need to give the sharks something

Doesn't check out. Donato could have been the sweetener.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Then why are the deals separate? The whole picture isnt clear to any of us. maybe the sharks wanted more than donato as a sweetner so they chose to just not include him

No idea, but hageling over a sweetener is not a reason for the deals to be separate. If the Sharks wanted more they could have had Donato and a mid round pick as the sweetener and sent nothing back.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Slightly light. SJS needs a 3rd line scoring winger and Donato is that, and at a very reasonable price. Maybe BG is being reasonable in order to get Doobs deal done under favorable conditions. We are likely getting at least one contract back....hope it isn't too appalling. Would be weird to get LHS. Winger back...you'd have to ask why bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad