Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
27ehc4.jpg

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This team loves stability....don't be surprised if Dominick Saillant takes over....and it will just continue like it was.....

Reactions: dinodebino

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
As a comms guy, I can attest to the fact that Donald was the best in the business. He did his job to a tee. You may not like the way he operated. But he did his job. And he did it well. As an ex-journalist, if I were in his place, I would have done the same thing.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Wasn't this the guy who confronted reporters and made them understand that certain questions are not proper to ask? I remember a few episodes involving him that had to do with behind-the-scenes interventions/ dubious tactics with the media.

I still recall his father, Jacques Beauchamp, a columnist for the defunct Montréal-Matin and with JdM -- the guy's claim to fame was how every prediction he made, he got wrong. I remember how it had become a thing to compare someone to Jacques Beauchamp if you wanted to belittle them. Donald must have taken advantage of his father's many contacts in the hockey world, to secure a living for himself within the Habs. Good for him, not sure he was good for any of us though, lol.

For the record, I believe Donald was Jacques' nephew.

And he had great credentials before coming to the Canadiens organisation.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
This team loves stability....don't be surprised if Dominick Saillant takes over....and it will just continue like it was.....
And if I were Molson, I would want a control freak like Beauchamp. That's the focus of the job.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For the record, I believe Donald was Jacques' nephew.

And he had great credentials before coming to the Canadiens organisation.

I stand corrected, I was under the mistaken impression it was his son. I'll amend my post accordingly, thanks for that.

He may have had great credentials prior to this job but I'd find it extremely surprising if his family ties did not play a role in the opportunities he got.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As a comms guy, I can attest to the fact that Donald was the best in the business. He did his job to a tee. You may not like the way he operated. But he did his job. And he did it well. As an ex-journalist, if I were in his place, I would have done the same thing.

I know a thing or two about that field and would beg to differ with your assessment. From the Habs perspective, he may have been what they value, however, he was a blemished brand ambassador, he was heavily confrontational on minutiae, crossed the line many times over by trying to muzzle the press and their right to ask questions as they see fit, not the ones that Donald directed.

Donald was caught several times within earshot of other reporters taking a reporter to the side and reprimanding him (I believe the incidents that were mentioned involved male reporters), asking him why he asked certain questions during a Habs presser and why he didn't ask what Donald thought was more appropriate.

And then there was that leaked email that came from Donald's department, maybe from Donald himself but certainly under his purview, where the Habs Comm. Dept. asked their broadcasters to cut down on their criticism of the team when they were merely describing what all of us could readily ascertain -- Donald insisted on putting that extra layer of lipstick on his pig with extra gloss to boot. It's one thing to look after the company's good will but quite another when someone makes veiled threats and quite another when one oppresses freedom of the press.

Reactions: ottawa and snakeye

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I know a thing or two about that field and would beg to differ with your assessment. From the Habs perspective, he may have been what they value, however, he was a blemished brand ambassador, he was heavily confrontational on minutiae, crossed the line many times over by trying to muzzle the press and their right to ask questions as they see fit, not the ones that Donald directed.

Donald was caught several times within earshot of other reporters taking a reporter to the side and reprimanding him (I believe the incidents that were mentioned involved male reporters), asking him why he asked certain questions during a Habs presser and why he didn't ask what Donald thought was more appropriate.

And then there was that leaked email that came from Donald's department, maybe from Donald himself but certainly under his purview, where the Habs Comm. Dept. asked their broadcasters to cut down on their criticism of the team when they were merely describing what all of us could readily ascertain -- Donald insisted on putting that extra layer of lipstick on his pig with extra gloss to boot. It's one thing to look after the company's good will but quite another when someone makes veiled threats and quite another when one oppresses freedom of the press.

Let's agree to disagree, my friend. :) He was the best in the business in one of the worst hockey markets.

The Montreal Canadiens model of media control is a model that should be studied in Communications curriculums in universities. But that's just me.

Reactions: Runner77

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I stand corrected, I was under the mistaken impression it was his son. I'll amend my post accordingly, thanks for that.

He may have had great credentials prior to this job but I'd find it extremely surprising if his family ties did not play a role in the opportunities he got.

Maybe. That I couldn't tell. But I can assure you that he came with high recommendations from Hockey Canada, where he had left his mark before that.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
And no, I don't believe things will change. Because his model is the right one in such an organisation. I would probably be less abrasive (he probably got abrasive because of some yuuuuuuuge egos in the media world), but I would control the message as much as he did. That's the nature of the job.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And no, I don't believe things will change. Because his model is the right one in such an organisation. I would probably be less abrasive (he probably got abrasive because of some yuuuuuuuge egos in the media world), but I would control the message as much as he did. That's the nature of the job.

Looking like you've had interaction with the guy, so I respect the experiences that you've had whether direct or not.

I see what you're saying from the Habs' POV. I was merely expressing how he came across to fans from what filtered to us and how he appeared to curtail freedom of the press, which is fundamental. Look at the reactions in this thread, he may have been a capable bulldog for the Habs but he didn't endear the Habs' brand through his questionable methods. Just my 2 cents, I appreciate that you have a different take.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Looking like you've had interaction with the guy, so I respect the experiences that you've had whether direct or not.

I see what you're saying from the Habs' POV. I was merely expressing how he came across to fans from what filtered to us and how he appeared to curtail freedom of the press, which is fundamental. Look at the reactions in this thread, he may have been a capable bulldog for the Habs but he didn't endear the Habs' brand through his questionable methods. Just my 2 cents, I appreciate that you have a different take.

I write this with the upmost respect for your opinion BTW.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
BTW, I believe that Donald is not leaving because he "wants to see more of his family". I believe he's leaving because he can't stand MB and his arrogance. Molson got him the job with the Foundation. But he'll bounce elsewhere. It's just a hunch.

We'll probably learn more in the next coming weeks. With Beauchamp out, I suspect a 'anonymous source' mutiny is on its way.

Donald has some friends in the media circle. The dirt will come out.

I'm buying the popcorn! :popcorn:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Well, if you listen to the organisation's porte-voix Mario Tremblay, changes could shock people. That's what he said tonight at Mario Languesale's show.

The only change that would shock me is MB being fired. I would also be mildly shocked by Sly finally getting the axe,

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
The only change that would shock me is MB being fired. I would also be mildly shocked by Sly finally getting the axe,

The innuendos Tremblay made are a clear reflexion of the internal struggles within the Habs' brass. I don't like Tremblay AT ALL. He's a chickenshit swine. BUT, he's plugged. And I take what he says or let's on very seriously.

He believes Bergevin's country club will be dismantled and that Molson will put him on a very short leash by hiring someone to oversee MB's work.

Out of the blue, he mentioned two names (not a fan of both, BTW): Roy (I heard a rumor from someone while on vacation, blabla) and...Carbonneau. Why the f... would he mention Carbo??? Must be something there. Or at least some stuff to dig out. I know for a fact that Carbo HATES Bergevin. Can't stand him. Not a lot of the Alumni do BTW. That's well known.

He added that ("je parle librement ici", he took the time to say) Bergevin is a control freak, that he's way too present in the team's entourage, that if he wants to coach, he should do it or he should leave the job to his coach. Implying that Julien was being micromanaged. Which would explain a lot of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->