Donald Audette

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
How good was he?

I remember reading an article where it was mentioned that he is only 5'6" and the NHL had him billed at 5'8", regardless.

He was traded to MTL in late 2001, and looked really good until his wrist was sliced by a skate.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
He was traded to MTL in late 2001, and looked really good until his wrist was sliced by a skate.

In my mind (fuzzy memory) him and is line was on a nice hot streak and the team was going really well before that injury, but then I look at hockey reference game logs and it was 1 goal 4 assist in 6 game, that era (specially Montreal) was so low scoring.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Slippery player. Here's my favourite audette moment as a hab which also shows how sneaky he could be even later in his career..

On that note, please bring this goal song back for the love of god.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Audette was a great talent and a pure goal scorer on the wing, with a relatively high shooting % as I recall. He broke in with 30 goals in 60 games in his rookie season, which was on par with Pavel Bure, who won the Calder that year. Throughout the ‘90s, he was a consistent offensive leader for Buffalo, despite being hampered by injuries.

The skate injury was awfully scary when I saw it on TV, but thank Heavens he recovered from that.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
He was third on the Sabres depth chart as far as snipers in his first few years in the league (behind Andreychuk and Mogilny) but played a more prominent role when Andreychuk was traded.

He had a good shot and deceptive speed and scored a good chunk of his goals on the PP from what I recalled. Came back to the Sabres for a cup of coffee during the '00-'01 season and then didn't last long after that from what I remember.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I honestly haven't heard his name in about 15 years. One of those players you totally forget.

As others pointed out, he was small, fast, and had a good scoring touch, but was not a great player. Guy you'd like to have on your team for secondary scoring.

Reactions: VanIslander

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Speedy little sniper with great hands and a deadly accurate shot. Closest player in the NHL now would probably be Cam Atkinson.

Audette’s career and legacy were really wrecked by injury. Was on target for 30-40 goals pretty much every year from 1991-2001 but was just constantly hurt. With a healthy career and 7-8 30 goal seasons and 350 career goals he’d probably be a bit better remembered.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Poor man Brière?

He actually reminds me a little more of a Jeff Skinner type. Winger, slippery, real nice hands, great near the paint. Briere was mostly used as a centerman and he was surprisingly chippy for a small "skilled" player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad