Management Don Sweeney V: What do the Bruins do in (what could be) the craziest offseason ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
What’s he got up his sleeve?
upload_2020-10-3_10-17-42.png

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
So I was thinking what if we do our off season shopping mostly in Arizona. The problem is the dollars.

Bruins: OEL, Kessel. One million retention on OEL.

Coyotes: Bjork, Kase, Gryz, Moore for cap purposes. This is a quantity trade but it’s also a lot of decent youth. It’s Also a lot of cap cleared for them which has a lot of value this off season.

Although Kessel isn’t quite what he use be he is a finisher. He’s a rw for Krejci and his contract has two years left on it which lines up with the veterans. OEL I’m not super excited about but his name is our there and certainly linked to us. Thinking we leave 3rd line rw open for Seny.

we would still need to add grit from somewhere though

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
An arm. Time will tell if there is anything else. I am half expecting a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

With all the speculation out there, it looks like the only way for Sweeney to get what he wants is for some other GM to make a bad deal with him. Free agency is hindered by the Cap. Two big ticket players (Rask & Krejci) are signed for this season but could go home after that. Krug wants a lot, may not be worth it, but leaves a big hole offensively. What do you do with a 43 year-old legendary player who still wants to play.

If Sweeney really swings for the fences, what is more likely: Bruins win the Cup or the near future is really bleak?

Reactions: Dr Hook

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
So I was thinking what if we do our off season shopping mostly in Arizona. The problem is the dollars.

Bruins: OEL, Kessel. One million retention on OEL.

Coyotes: Bjork, Kase, Gryz, Moore for cap purposes. This is a quantity trade but it’s also a lot of decent youth. It’s Also a lot of cap cleared for them which has a lot of value this off season.

Although Kessel isn’t quite what he use be he is a finisher. He’s a rw for Krejci and his contract has two years left on it which lines up with the veterans. OEL I’m not super excited about but his name is our there and certainly linked to us. Thinking we leave 3rd line rw open for Seny.

we would still need to add grit from somewhere though

A B-level prospect, a (perhaps arguably) 3RW, a 2nd pair D and a castoff - I don't think that gets it done, frankly. Would you do that?

Eklund mentioned Arizona's possible interest in packaging The Thrill with OEL, and (source aside) it's an interesting concept for discussion.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
With all the speculation out there, it looks like the only way for Sweeney to get what he wants is for some other GM to make a bad deal with him. Free agency is hindered by the Cap. Two big ticket players (Rask & Krejci) are signed for this season but could go home after that. Krug wants a lot, may not be worth it, but leaves a big hole offensively. What do you do with a 43 year-old legendary player who still wants to play.

If Sweeney really swings for the fences, what is more likely: Bruins win the Cup or the near future is really bleak?

Depends on if he connects! I am cynical about it. That said, if what we get is a third line grinder like Chiasson and nothing else pans out, the Bruins are still a playoff team. If he goes big, the question is how big? Krug and Chara should be gone whatever happens, and beyond that, do they move Rask and Krejci to re-tool? This is where it could get gruesome if Sweeney were to whiff on replacing them. Maybe going big for him is making the OEL trade and signing Dadonov. That would be big to me based on what he typically does and it addresses what the team needs without blowing it apart.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Vegas Golden Knights goaltender Robin Lehner has a handshake agreement on a five-year contract extension with a $5 million average annual value, according to an NHL source. Lehner, however, denies that he and the team have an understanding on a new contract ahead of his unrestricted free agency this offseason.
Not sure too many teams are lining up for MAF with two years and 7 million. Must be a buy out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad