GDT: Don Sweeney News Conference - 11:30 AM - NESN Plus, NHLN, SN (Canada) - WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Assuming it's over now, does anyone have a link to a transcript? Couldn't watch at work.

Sweeney was pretty much preaching this.

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He said they would buy at the deadline if it was a player that could help going forward, not adding deadwood. Sweeney said he was not willing to sacrifice young talent for a rental. This got glossed over while people were lighting the torches and sharpening the pitchforks.

A guy like Landeskog is not a rental.

If the B's add at the deadline it won't be an Antoine Vermette. It will be for a player that they feel can help this year and going forward.

A guy like Landeskog is what they need to stay far away from.

Sweeney won't sacrifice young talent for a rental. He'll sacrifice it for a marginally older player with a large cap hit who appears on the downswing like Landeskog.

Much better. :shakehead

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Well Backes supposedly said he was not comfortable playing centre under Julien's system.

Are we now going to see a rejuvenated David or is he the dud that we have witnessed over the past 50+ games?
Where did you read that?
If he wasn't comfortable why did he sign here (other than $$). Kind of **** on Backes' part if that's true. He was signed to be a centre & winger, and he doesn't feel comfortable at C under Julien's system? That makes me think he's not interested in working Defensively.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That's what I got from it as well - lots of fake news happening in this thread. :laugh:

One of my favorite posters here always says people see what they want to see (and I would add hear as well).

I think it's pretty obvious (to me anyway) that Sweeney had some philosophical differences with Clode, but was not going to throw him under the bus (called lying by some here). He came right out and said that he didn't think he was the guy given where the team was. He said he disagreed with some personnel decisions also (guessing Liles for Miller/Morrow was one).

I see a team in transition and not the trainwreck some do (but this goes back to my original statement about seeing what we want to see :laugh:).

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
There are people that are calling out the team for not going full rebuild, but IMO there is a much larger segment of the fan base (maybe not hardcore) that the B's are competing for with the other Boston teams. I'm not sure a full rebuild works in this market? Right or wrong, I think ownership feels that the franchise needs to remain competitive while they attempt to retool.

Somebody alert the mods, Sweeney has hacked Glory's HFB account!!!!!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Where did you read that?
If he wasn't comfortable why did he sign here (other than $$). Kind of **** on Backes' part if that's true. He was signed to be a centre & winger, and he doesn't feel comfortable at C under Julien's system? That makes me think he's not interested in working Defensively.

He said it after the Detroit games where his line got lit up.

He signed here believing he'd be used as a center most of the time. There are quotes from Backes to that effect.

Julien decided to use him exclusively as a winger.

So after 5 consecutive months as a winger in games and practice, he was tossed into the center position (after practicing as a winger earlier that same day). He was a disaster in his own end, and claim afterwards he wasn't familiar enough with the responsibilities of a center-man in Julien's defensive system to play it effectively at that point in time.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
A guy like Landeskog is what they need to stay far away from.

Sweeney won't sacrifice young talent for a rental. He'll sacrifice it for a marginally older player with a large cap hit who appears on the downswing like Landeskog.

Much better. :shakehead

Are we talking about the same Landeskog?

The guy I'm talking about the one that just turned 24 and hasn't even hit his prime yet.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
He said it after the Detroit games where his line got lit up.

He signed here believing he'd be used as a center most of the time. There are quotes from Backes to that effect.

Julien decided to use him exclusively as a winger.

So after 5 consecutive months as a winger in games and practice, he was tossed into the center position (after practicing as a winger earlier that same day). He was a disaster in his own end, and claim afterwards he wasn't familiar enough with the responsibilities of a center-man in Julien's defensive system to play it effectively at that point in time.
ah ok. I read as in he said he didn't want to play C during the season because he wasn't comfortable

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
haha. Please post a quick synopsis... Got to catch some of this parade.

Says he has experience working with Spooner in the A and knows how to motivate him.

League has changed to more of a "developmental" and "teaching" league due to the salary cap.

Told Clode at the outset he wanted to become an NHL HC again.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I kinda like Cassidy's answers to be fair.

"Z was under the weather". That seems fishy.

Ladyfan reported the other night that she could see a bunch of the players had their own water bottles, indicating a cold was working it's way around the locker room. Cassidy seems to be sniffling a lot during his presser too.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Says he has experience working with Spooner in the A and knows how to motivate him.

League has changed to more of a "developmental" and "teaching" league due to the salary cap.

Told Clode at the outset he wanted to become an NHL HC again.

Thanks... I think

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Ladyfan reported the other night that she could see a bunch of the players had their own water bottles, indicating a cold was working it's way around the locker room. Cassidy seems to be sniffling a lot during his presser too.

My wife is a VP at a middle school, and there is a variety of bugs making the rounds. The tinfoil hat people will be disappointed, but Z is probably just sick :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad