Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
If Mr Sweeney can get rid of Backes without giving up our best prospects and or top picks he should be GM of the decade.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Just want to say Don should maybe he GM of the century after today's signings. I hope Hobbit is next!

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
DS keeps doing an amazing job making excellent signings. I think the culture in the room and the team leaders have something to do with it as well. Every player on the first line is playing for below market value, with a few other key players doing the same. It's pretty clear that a winning culture and the camaraderie that the core has developed among the team has created something special in which players are willing to give up some money in order to be part of a team they believe can keep competing for a Cup.

Reactions: Beapin

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
I love Krug but I would be very careful with the term. I hope it is for five years or less.
5 years versus 7 will increase the cap hit ... to me it’s do we want 5 years of Krug at 7.9-8M cap hit or 7 years at 6.6M cap hit front loaded. Tough call.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Is Don Sweeney the best GM in hockey right now? He obviously won GM of the year last year, as the title says. And how he handles this deadline will obviously decide if wins it again.

But his management as of late have been pretty impressive, Coyle was just what the team needed. Mojo slid in last year and had a great playoff. He signs McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen, & Coyle all for team friendly deals(some more friendly than others).

He seems to have Krug queued up for a team friendly deal as well but who knows.

Is there a better GM in hockey right now?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's kind of funny to look at the breakdown of the roster for which GM was at the helm when each player was acquired. Such a diverse spread.

O'Connell

Bergeron
Krejci

Gorton

Rask
Marchand
Chara

Chiarelli

Miller
Krug
Grzelcyk
Pastrnak
Heinen
Bjork

Sweeney

DeBrusk
Carlo
Kuraly
McAvoy
Backes
Moore
Halak
Kuhlman
Clifton
Kampfer
Nordstrom
Wagner
Coyle
Lindholm

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Not time to panic at all. At all.

That said, you don’t like to see the coach have to call out the goalie on a consistent basis. Or the PP go from unstoppable to putrid. It might be time to try a little new blood here. Can’t accept 1-7 with this much talent.

In the old days, Sinden would have a 1-for-1 swap done by noon tomorrow. When he had his fastball.

Reactions: Strafer

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

That said, you don’t like to see the coach have to call out the goalie on a consistent basis. Or the PP go from unstoppable to putrid. It might be time to try a little new blood here. Can’t accept 1-7 with this much talent.

In the old days, Sinden would have a 1-for-1 swap done by noon tomorrow. When he had his fastball.

Not sure if I agree with this much talent

A this much talent team can score 5 v 5 in todays league

its been 3 years now the Bruins has had this problem...

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

They look stale.

A 1 for 1 trade would shake them up and is 3 years overdue, but I also feel like there are things they should be trying but they aren't...

Shuffling the lineup? Cassidy is so rigid about the first line, about DeBrusk owning the 2nd line... it leaves him very little to play with.

How about a call-up? Frederic has 7 points in his last 4 games and is running guys over every shift. Studnicka leads all rookies in goals and the entire league in shorty's. Cehlarik is a team best point per game player... these guys would play desperate, high-energy hockey. Instead we get Ritchie, Backes and Lindholm at a medium pace. We have a 4th liner on the 3rd line every night. No wonder they're stale.

Reactions: Strafer and Estlin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Team is set up spectacularly today and going forward if you are paying attention

of course if you focus on flip a coin overtones and probably 6 points lost due to coaches challenges

yah they suck

I was concerned how they would do in 2019 and they survived

Reactions: 13Hockey

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Hopefully this skid will kick start Sweeney into actually making a move for a legitimate scoring winger before the deadline, but then again he made out alright last year by waiting, but its a huge gamble to keep rolling the dice close to the deadline.

The Bruins are as good as anyone because parity is here, but if they can find that other scorer, that puts them ahead of everyone.

Kovalchuk would be nice. He's free,will cost no assets and will be cheap,as well as giving the Bruins room for another move.

Reactions: The National

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009
Hopefully this skid will kick start Sweeney into actually making a move for a legitimate scoring winger before the deadline, but then again he made out alright last year by waiting, but its a huge gamble to keep rolling the dice close to the deadline.

The Bruins are as good as anyone because parity is here, but if they can find that other scorer, that puts them ahead of everyone.

Kovalchuk would be nice. He's free,will cost no assets and will be cheap,as well as giving the Bruins room for another move.

I really don't think the B's need a big move. I like the idea of picking up Kovalchuk to see if it works out. If it doesn't, oh well, we didn't lose anything. If it does, we've got an experienced sniper on our hands. Apart from that no-brainer pickup, I think the forward prospect pool is good enough to find solutions in house. We're missing Senyshyn right now, who was finding his game and contributing with the big team before injury. And the other guys in Prov are looking better and better.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I really don't think the B's need a big move. I like the idea of picking up Kovalchuk to see if it works out. If it doesn't, oh well, we didn't lose anything. If it does, we've got an experienced sniper on our hands. Apart from that no-brainer pickup, I think the forward prospect pool is good enough to find solutions in house. We're missing Senyshyn right now, who was finding his game and contributing with the big team before injury. And the other guys in Prov are looking better and better.

the problem is he`s no longer a "sniper"

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I would think if picking up Kovalchuk is a no-brainer, someone would have done it already, no?

Reactions: Saxon Eric

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009
IIRC, Kovalchuk is not subject to the roster freeze due to currently not being under an NHL contract.

I just think that the fact that he is still there makes it a no-brainer to sign him up. If he doesn't work out, we didn't lose any assets. Literally zero risk, so any reward is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad