Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
It’s hilarious to me that the NHL Awards thread is full of squawking and hand ringing that Bergeron didn’t win the Selke and this one is full of arguments about who should have won other than Sweeney :laugh:

Last edited:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Well in bold is just flat out wrong. They could of signed Tavares and he was considering Boston quite a bit.

"While Toronto was heavily favored to sign the free agent heading into last offseason, the Bruins made quite the push to land the 28-year-old. That effort was not lost on Tavares, who despite opting to sign with his hometown team, told NHL.com’s Mike Zeisberger that he considered a move to the Black and Gold “quite a bit.”

Read more at: Maple Leafs’ John Tavares Considered Bruins ‘Quite A Bit’ In Free Agency"

I guess this makes me part of the pile on goon sqaud. Proud member since 5 minutes ago.

I'm glad they didn't get Tavares as I'm not a big fan of top heavy superstar salaries

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I personally wasn't on board when Sweeney was nominated.
I certainly wasn't on board the way Sweeney handled Julien.
I was ok with the firing of Julien, not the way it was handled.
I was won over this year after seeing all the draft,trades,depth and acquisitions coming into fruition. The way the team came together.
Sweeney built quite the team. It's nice to see him rewarded by his peers. Now I'm confident his work will continue to evolve and successfully makes the Bruins into a well balanced team that other teams will copy for years to come. While we lead the way.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I personally wasn't on board when Sweeney was nominated.
I certainly wasn't on board the way Sweeney handled Julien.
I was ok with the firing of Julien, not the way it was handled.
I was won over this year after seeing all the draft,trades,depth and acquisitions coming into fruition. The way the team came together.
Sweeney built quite the team. It's nice to see him rewarded by his peers. Now I'm confident his work will continue to evolve and successfully makes the Bruins into a well balanced team that other teams will copy for years to come. While we lead the way.

See this is why I read here. Well done.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It’s hilarious to me that the NHL Awards thread is full of squawking and hand ringing that Bergeron didn’t win the Selke and this one is full of arguments about who should have won other than Sweeney :laugh:

I was watching with my 16 yr old son and we thought they got a few of the awards wrong to be honest.

I love ROR, but Patrice is on another level imo. My conspiracy theory is that they don’t want him to win a 5th and break the tie with Gainey.

I thought Vaz was a good choice for the Vezina, until my son pointed out that, except for wins, he didn’t lead in any of the traditional categories. Both Bishop and Lehner had lower GAA’s and better Save %’s and Vaz didn’t play in that many more games. I think he got it because the other two platooned with goalies who also had excellent stats and they took points away for team defense?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
And a #1 D Man.

I know it's easier said than done, but....I think if Charlie's your #1, it aint gonna quite cut it. If Charlie's your #2....you're golden.

I don't want to get too off topic here so if you want to continue this, we could go to the McAvoy thread but i think Charlie showed that when healthy, he is a legitimate #1 defenseman. He is arguably the teams #1 already and they made it to the finals.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I don't want to get too off topic here so if you want to continue this, we could go to the McAvoy thread but i think Charlie showed that when healthy, he is a legitimate #1 defenseman. He is arguably the teams #1 already and they made it to the finals.
I don't think it's even arguable at this point. He led the team in TOI in the playoffs and in my book that's the clearest measure of who a team's number 1 D is.

Reactions: Spooner st

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I was watching with my 16 yr old son and we thought they got a few of the awards wrong to be honest.

I love ROR, but Patrice is on another level imo. My conspiracy theory is that they don’t want him to win a 5th and break the tie with Gainey.

I thought Vaz was a good choice for the Vezina, until my son pointed out that, except for wins, he didn’t lead in any of the traditional categories. Both Bishop and Lehner had lower GAA’s and better Save %’s and Vaz didn’t play in that many more games. I think he got it because the other two platooned with goalies who also had excellent stats and they took points away for team defense?

I didn't watch it, so have nothing constructive to add.

My post was more of an observation that we like to argue the point no matter if "our guy" wins or not.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'm not a big Don Sweeney guy. Like many, I've questioned some of the moves and decisions he's made in the past. That being said, he had a great 2018-19 season, starting with free agency last year. Wagner and Nordstrom were very good, cheap depth signings. I was concerned about giving 5 years to John Moore, but he was absolutely necessary this year, and while some may disagree, I thought he generally played well throughout the season. Saving the best for last is the acquisition of both Coyle and Johansson. If they aren't here, this team loses to Toronto in the 1st round. Those are the exact type of moves you make at the trade deadline. You don't go for the star, overpriced (trade value-wise) player, which is something they've done in the past. You get the best value from depth signings, and that's just what they did. Bravo!

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
I love where this organization is headed. The run they had this year was such a blast and next season should be even better.

As a new GM it takes years to put your mark on the front office. Each season you bring in more people and players that fit your vision. Watching the progression and improvement has been exciting and encouraging. From drafting and development to Pro scouting it is clear as day that he has been able to identify weakness and solve the issues.

Year one he signs FA Beleskey to an over sized contract but in year three he signs Wagner to a team friendly contract.

Year one he finds himself holding 3 first round picks (instead of trading up) and his group was NOT prepared to pick all three. The result has been discussed enough but the point I want to make is that he improved his group and the teams draft readiness appears improved.

Trades as well, in year one he got fleeced by Hextall, year three he fleeced Sherro.

He is learning and improving at every step and the most recent addition, Cage Kelly, is great example and another strong step.

Congratulations Don Sweeney, well deserved recognition.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I love where this organization is headed. The run they had this year was such a blast and next season should be even better.

As a new GM it takes years to put your mark on the front office. Each season you bring in more people and players that fit your vision. Watching the progression and improvement has been exciting and encouraging. From drafting and development to Pro scouting it is clear as day that he has been able to identify weakness and solve the issues.

Year one he signs FA Beleskey to an over sized contract but in year three he signs Wagner to a team friendly contract.

Year one he finds himself holding 3 first round picks (instead of trading up) and his group was NOT prepared to pick all three. The result has been discussed enough but the point I want to make is that he improved his group and the teams draft readiness appears improved.

Trades as well, in year one he got fleeced by Hextall, year three he fleeced Sherro.

He is learning and improving at every step and the most recent addition, Cage Kelly, is great example and another strong step.

Congratulations Don Sweeney, well deserved recognition.
Like the post, also, if not mistaken, Sweeney has added considerably to the scouting team? Dom or someone else may be able to speak better on the subject than I.

DS is pretty much like every GM, has some :huh: moments, then has some/makes some :thumbu: moments too. What I do appreciate is that when he first took over or soon thereafter, he spoke about the importance of stocking up the prospect cupboard which wasn`t overflowing and it hindered the B`s cap flexibility. Look at this year as an example, if some of those kids didn`t or weren`t able to play at the NHL level, not so sure he could have gone out and acquired a Coyle or Mojo.

Looks like this coming year we are likely to see one of say Kuhlman/Cehlarik/Seny/Lauko or maybe a Studsy get some time with the big club (no disrespect to Frederic), now an argument can be made that none of those I just listed are destined for future HOF selection but you still need cost controlled kids to be part of the big club and Sweeney has managed to do this.

This team has employed far worse GM`s, what I appreciate about DS most is he seems to have learned from the Backes/Beleskey mistakes, only big UFA he signed was Moore who just never got going last year but even that signing wasn`t a massive above market pay day

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I continue to hate this offseason for Sweeney and company. Bringing in more dime-a-dozen roster-filler JAGs when we already had a ton of them, failing to move Backes when it looks like everyone else around can move their own cap headaches, no healthy roster turnover and zero to address the obvious gaping hole on the second line. And then we're forcefed BS about Ritchie (etc) being the plan on the second line... And too many people swallowed it up with joy.

Connor Clifton? Great deal. Awesome. That is decent term with a lotta value. Heinen? Market dollars. Short hair, don't care.

The rest of it? Awful.

Reactions: maxl7

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I'm not a big Don Sweeney guy. Like many, I've questioned some of the moves and decisions he's made in the past. That being said, he had a great 2018-19 season, starting with free agency last year. Wagner and Nordstrom were very good, cheap depth signings. I was concerned about giving 5 years to John Moore, but he was absolutely necessary this year, and while some may disagree, I thought he generally played well throughout the season. Saving the best for last is the acquisition of both Coyle and Johansson. If they aren't here, this team loses to Toronto in the 1st round. Those are the exact type of moves you make at the trade deadline. You don't go for the star, overpriced (trade value-wise) player, which is something they've done in the past. You get the best value from depth signings, and that's just what they did. Bravo!

Well Dallas would disagree when they traded a young phenom prospect in Iginla and got Nieuwendyk in return.
Calgary got a star for many years
Dallas got the cup

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Well Dallas would disagree when they traded a young phenom prospect in Iginla and got Nieuwendyk in return.
Calgary got a star for many years
Dallas got the cup

Don't think that's an apples-to-apples comparison. I was talking about trading for star rental players at the deadline. Nieuwendyk was traded in 1995 after holding out, and then immediately signed to a long term deal. Dallas didn't win the cup until 1999, so the trade didn't pay immediate dividends, which is what you need when you pay the cost for a star rental player at the deadline.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I continue to hate this offseason for Sweeney and company. Bringing in more dime-a-dozen roster-filler JAGs when we already had a ton of them, failing to move Backes when it looks like everyone else around can move their own cap headaches, no healthy roster turnover and zero to address the obvious gaping hole on the second line. And then we're forcefed BS about Ritchie (etc) being the plan on the second line... And too many people swallowed it up with joy.

Connor Clifton? Great deal. Awesome. That is decent term with a lotta value. Heinen? Market dollars. Short hair, don't care.

The rest of it? Awful.
I believe the new Jags are replacing the old Jags at least I hope so
Though half the Jags will be in Providence so there's that
Rookies report in 34 days!

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Don't think that's an apples-to-apples comparison. I was talking about trading for star rental players at the deadline. Nieuwendyk was traded in 1995 after holding out, and then immediately signed to a long term deal. Dallas didn't win the cup until 1999, so the trade didn't pay immediate dividends, which is what you need when you pay the cost for a star rental player at the deadline.

I think there are guys like Stone and Duchesne that would have helped are one and half line team. Signing them would have been their mandate if they didn't want just a rental

Last edited:

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
When Sweeney was hired I must say I wasn't happy. As mentioned, I wanted Gorton but no way NY was letting him go.
He surely hasn't done a bad job however signings like Backes and Beleskey that even at the time they signed them I felt as many did that it was a mistake.
Now he's stuck with a finished player who is taking a drain on the cap.
When he got coyle and Johansson I wasn't that excited although they played well in the playoffs I felt they needed a true rwinger first then get coyle and Marcus.
Cassidy took everyone by surprise including Sweeney. I like Cassidy for what he's done
The bruins need to accept imo that even though they went to the finals , the word rebuild should not be taboo but a business reality.
I'm hoping that in spite of the fact that we went to the finals it doesn't cloud their judgement in thinking that all they need is a few tweaks to win the cup.

Reactions: maxl7

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
When Sweeney was hired I must say I wasn't happy. As mentioned, I wanted Gorton but no way NY was letting him go.
He surely hasn't done a bad job however signings like Backes and Beleskey that even at the time they signed them I felt as many did that it was a mistake.
Now he's stuck with a finished player who is taking a drain on the cap.
When he got coyle and Johansson I wasn't that excited although they played well in the playoffs I felt they needed a true rwinger first then get coyle and Marcus.
Cassidy took everyone by surprise including Sweeney. I like Cassidy for what he's done
The bruins need to accept imo that even though they went to the finals , the word rebuild should not be taboo but a business reality.
I'm hoping that in spite of the fact that we went to the finals it doesn't cloud their judgement in thinking that all they need is a few tweaks to win the cup.
Bet you didn’t mind the Belesky deal after the first season. The Backes deal I think everyone was concerned about the term. Other than that, he is in the develop mindset that a lot of GM’s aren’t. He has the advantage of being in a college hockey hotbed. It’s his back yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->