Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

They don't need the retained money to pay Chara's bonuses.

I care about the 4th next year. Danton Heinen was a 4th round pick.

I'm glad they improved, even if it was less than what Sweeney wanted... Hopefully it won't end up being less than what they needed. Time will tell. :crossfing

I would ask, is Heinen the exception or the rule? How many years are we away from a 4th in 2020 contributing? What can and will change to our core in that timeframe?

We’re talking about ~15% chance of playing 100 games career in that slot. I’m okay giving up that to take a shot this year

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Top 5 player in the NHL?? I disagree.

I’m always leary of guys being the big fish in the small pond. Ottawa sucked. Let’s see how Stone does in Vegas before we call him top 5.

I didn’t hear those rumors. The rumor I read was he turned down a 10m per year long term deal from Ottawa. IMO it’s not debatable, we now know what he’s making in Vegas, we know what the equivalent would be here in Boston. I would not pay him that, no chance. Stone is a great player, but not double Bergeron great. 12.5m onnoke player would affect the roster in negative ways.

Yeah my bad, meant to say top5 player 'at his position.'

Fwiw, it was Dom who said he was hearing they (OTT) agreed on price but that Stone wanted it structured so that more of it was payable in bonuses as opposed to salary. Like the Tavares and Kovalchuk deals, only not as extreme. Melnyk couldn't do that because it made the contract lockout proof.

With regard to the actual salary, your numbers are off. According to the cap friendly calculator, a guy making $9.5m in Vegas takes home $6.02m and that same salary in Boston he takes him $5.53m, so the difference amounts to a little under $500k, not $2m. I'd certainly offer him $500k more than Vegas paid him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I would ask, is Heinen the exception or the rule? How many years are we away from a 4th in 2020 contributing? What can and will change to our core in that timeframe?

We’re talking about ~15% chance of playing 100 games career in that slot. I’m okay giving up that to take a shot this year

The conversation wasn't about giving up a 4th to take a chance at the Cup. I would have given up our next two 1st's for a better chance at the Cup. The question/conversation was why give up a 4th to save money when you don't need to. What was the motivation behind that decision? Honestly, I think they could have got Mojo for a 3rd instead of a 2nd and a 4th without the retention.

Obviously none of it is going to break the bank or wreck the future, but a 2nd has value, in the draft and as a trade chip. Maybe they could have got one more piece with that 2nd that would have bumped Backes out of the lineup and really solidified their depth 1-12. Who wouldn't like to see that spot upgraded?

Reactions: Strafer

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I hope this doesn't keep you up at night?
I'm starting to worry about you
Lol, not at all. I had a playoff game to coach last night (which we won) so I watched the B's on DVR and was up late regardless.

Honestly, I'm over it and loving how this team is playing. I just don't like to leave a reply without some sort of comment or like so they know I heard them.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
boston fan here 100% but little worried about upcoming playoffs. Here is my reasons :
1) do not want bruins to play Toronto in first round and it looks like a pretty much guarantee
2) think the bruins would have a better shot being a wild card seed ( first wild card position)
3) do not want to play Toronto because I think the bruins are peeking to early they are playing
there best hockey right now. Need to play there best hockey in april. Also think Cassidy and Sweeney
should start sitting players periodically here namely Bergeron, chara, krejci, marchand, McAvoy, krug,.
They need to be well rested facing the leafs.
4) on to the leafs they are facing some adversity now but lets dig deeper : last season there #3 and #4 centres
were Thomas pleckanic and domenic moore. They have added John Tavares, and Nic Petan who I think will
start with the Marlies and by time playoffs start will be the regular number 4 centre. that is an upgrade from
last season. Also added Muzzin on D which will upgrade there d core from last season with dermott being one
year older with experience under his belt.
5) remember last season the series went 7 games with kadri being suspended for 3 of the games.
6) this season with the additions of Tavares and muzzin and everything else being equal the leafs will beat the bruins
7) the bruins added Coyle and Johansson and have a healthy Carlo as opposed to last season, do not think that
will be enough to overcome what the leafs will throw at them.
8) Toronto's 4th line will consist of Petan, Nick Baptiste, and Trevor Moore come playoff time ( book it) they will be the
talk of the series.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
boston fan here 100% but little worried about upcoming playoffs. Here is my reasons :
1) do not want bruins to play Toronto in first round and it looks like a pretty much guarantee
2) think the bruins would have a better shot being a wild card seed ( first wild card position)
3) do not want to play Toronto because I think the bruins are peeking to early they are playing
there best hockey right now. Need to play there best hockey in april. Also think Cassidy and Sweeney
should start sitting players periodically here namely Bergeron, chara, krejci, marchand, McAvoy, krug,.
4) on to the leafs they are facing some adversity now but lets dig deeper : last season there #3 and #4 centres
were Thomas pleckanic and domenic moore. They have added John Tavares, and Nic Petan who I think will
start with the Marlies and by time playoffs start will be the regular number 4 centre. that is an upgrade from
last season. Also added Muzzin on D which will upgrade there d core from last season with dermott being one
5) remember last season the series went 7 games with kadri being suspended for 3 of the games.
6) this season with the additions of Tavares and muzzin and everything else being equal the leafs will beat the bruins
7) the bruins added Coyle and Johansson and have a healthy Carlo as opposed to last season, do not think that
8) Toronto's 4th line will consist of Petan, Nick Baptiste, and Trevor Moore come playoff time ( book it) they will be the
talk of the series.

Stopped reading after point 2.

All your points are really just a fear of Toronto.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
talk of the series.
All that adds up too is Bruins in six

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
talk of the series.

You lost me at "book it".

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think he forgot to take in the Noel Acciari factor;)

I'm still not convinced that was actually Noel Acciari out there last night wearing the bubble mask and #55 on his back. They swapped his stunt-double out at the end of the game for the real Acciari to do the post-game interview I'm certain of it.

Reactions: TCB and Tmac37

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Is “they are peaking too early” really a reason not to play a team/to worry at all?

If they’re not winning games, that’s a concern. But if they’re going on a tear, it’s “peaking too early”.

Is there like an ideal record of 7-3 over 10 games for people at this time of year? Like what actually would make people with those kind of worries feel good?

It’s not that I think “peaking too early” isn’t a real thing. But it’s a strange thought to somehow be worried about your team playing well when it’s the last quarter of the regular season.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
talk of the series.

Get a grip, dude. Bruins are a good team. I laughed at a lot of this post, but #8 really got me..... You're afraid of a 4th line THAT DOESN'T EVEN EXIST. They play Gauthier and Tyler Ennis there and just started playing recently called up Trevor Moore. Baptiste is still in the minors and Petan has been a healthy scratch since being acquired.....

Toronto is a solid hockey team and I respect the hell out of them. They could definitely beat Boston in a series, just like Boston could definitely beat them. Step back from the ledge though.... Jesus, if you're pissing your trousers over a 4th line that doesn't even exist, I don't know what else to really say.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
All that adds up too is Bruins in six
Hockey is such a great game and the playoffs are unpredictable

Tampa looks like a prohibitive favorite to win the Cup but playing Columbus in round 1 is no lock

The Bruins-Leafs could go either way - I know Boston has their number but I wouldn’t bet my retirement on that series even if both teams healthy and I could triple it just picking the winner.

The 1971 Bruins were invincible. The 2007 Patriots were invincible.

Gretzky Oilers in 1986 looked invincible and a grade B Canadiens team walked away with the Cup.

I wanted Stone he was the perfect on ice fit and next summer if things don’t end well I’ll want Hall somehow.

I’m just glad their must watch again.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Get a grip, dude. Bruins are a good team. I laughed at a lot of this post, but #8 really got me..... You're afraid of a 4th line THAT DOESN'T EVEN EXIST. They play Gauthier and Tyler Ennis there and just started playing recently called up Trevor Moore. Baptiste is still in the minors and Petan has been a healthy scratch since being acquired.....

Toronto is a solid hockey team and I respect the hell out of them. They could definitely beat Boston in a series, just like Boston could definitely beat them. Step back from the ledge though.... Jesus, if you're pissing your trousers over a 4th line that doesn't even exist, I don't know what else to really say.
So much can happen in 6 weeks I’d wait until it’s a known matchup and who is actually playing in the game - injuries can play a huge role.

I’d hope both teams are healthy.

Toronto fans are so over the top to me that a Boston win in a matchup is second only to winning the Cup

I’ve seen Boston and Montreal go back and forth so many times since the mid 80’s it doesn’t matter

The Leafs are another story

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Hockey is such a great game and the playoffs are unpredictable

Tampa looks like a prohibitive favorite to win the Cup but playing Columbus in round 1 is no lock

The Bruins-Leafs could go either way - I know Boston has their number but I wouldn’t bet my retirement on that series even if both teams healthy and I could triple it just picking the winner.

The 1971 Bruins were invincible. The 2007 Patriots were invincible.

Gretzky Oilers in 1986 looked invincible and a grade B Canadiens team walked away with the Cup.

I wanted Stone he was the perfect on ice fit and next summer if things don’t end well I’ll want Hall somehow.

I’m just glad their must watch again.

Columbus is the first round match-up, Id like to see Tampa get, but that isn't a sure thing as the Metro is so tight from the wild card teams too the division winner. I mean right now Pittsburgh is the team on the outside looking in.

Columbus plays a tough physical game and has the scoring and the Bob certainly has the capabilities of stealing a series, but the main thing I'll like if those two teams do meet, is who ever comes out the winner could be worse for wear. ultimately the Bruins may have a lot to say where the Jackets finish as they have to play them 3 times yet and Columbus should be able to build team chemistry and get better and better with each passing day.

Id hate to pick who wins the Metro and where they all fall, as Columbus could end up being the last wild card team or they could end up hosting the first wild card team. The only thing I would bet on with any confidence is that Carolina doesn't get in, but stranger things have happen.

Reactions: DKH

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
talk of the series.
Your thinking way too much man. To be the best you need to beat the best. Toronto isn’t the best.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Columbus is the first round match-up, Id like to see Tampa get, but that isn't a sure thing as the Metro is so tight from the wild card teams too the division winner. I mean right now Pittsburgh is the team on the outside looking in.

Columbus plays a tough physical game and has the scoring and the Bob certainly has the capabilities of stealing a series, but the main thing I'll like if those two teams do meet, is who ever comes out the winner could be worse for wear. ultimately the Bruins may have a lot to say where the Jackets finish as they have to play them 3 times yet and Columbus should be able to build team chemistry and get better and better with each passing day.

Id hate to pick who wins the Metro and where they all fall, as Columbus could end up being the last wild card team or they could end up hosting the first wild card team. The only thing I would bet on with any confidence is that Carolina doesn't get in, but stranger things have happen.

Don't count out the Canes!

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
They are correct in my view

Johansson was right there with Palmieri as far as acquisitions when the Devils got him

His problem is the same that effected Patrice Bergeron his first year back from concussion 64GP/8 goals a shell of self, and most recently the playoff Nash.

The guy suffered a serious concussion

I posted 3 months ago Johansson looked like crap and not the same guy since Marchand hit.

It often takes a year and the 13 games prior to deal he has 12 points split evenly between goals and assists with a whopping 5 at even strength

He’s been out of sight out of mind

He was very good for years as the defensive conscious of a second line with Backstom in Washington

Big big props for whoever in Boston scouting noticed this and recommended it

When healthy he’s a very good 3 zone player - always has - on a second or third line

His hockey IQ is very high

Boston’s Pro Scouting continues to have a Renaissance since the reconstruction last Spring- apparently Sweeney agreed with us and his change are paying him and the Bruins high returns
Yeah he is damaged which is why the price is down. Hopefully your right they picked him up at the right time. Still not completedly sold as a second line solution. Looked good in the first game, second game sprinkled good plays, but that is how I expect him to play. Only looks good here and there but invisible otherwise.

Again not saying he can’t turn it around but there is a higher risk with a guy that had a severe concussion then I would like going into the playoffs. Call it the Nash syndrome I guess

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Is “they are peaking too early” really a reason not to play a team/to worry at all?

If they’re not winning games, that’s a concern. But if they’re going on a tear, it’s “peaking too early”.

Is there like an ideal record of 7-3 over 10 games for people at this time of year? Like what actually would make people with those kind of worries feel good?

It’s not that I think “peaking too early” isn’t a real thing. But it’s a strange thought to somehow be worried about your team playing well when it’s the last quarter of the regular season.
Cliche crap that’s all lol

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
talk of the series.

the only concern you should have with Toronto is if you fly there and have issues with your breathing, the air quality is, well, questionable at best, breath and embrace the Leafs as a 1st round opponent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad