Don Cherry

FiveForDrawingBlood

May 25, 2010
How would you rate the Coaching skills of Don Cherry?

What I heard about the man is that he was a really poor coach, the reason why the Bruins (Arguably one of the top 3-5 teams on paper all-time) were not a dynasty. In my opinion, they should have won a minimum of 4 cups (MINIMUM) in the Orr's years.

Of course, many Boston's fans will argus that he has the best winning percentage all-time for coachs (or is it second best?) but then again, he only coached the Bruins powerhouse and he was never offered another job in the NHL afterwards.

So, would you say he was brutal (My oppinion) average, good or great?

Also, just for fun, to whom would you compare him in today's NHL?

He was a good fit for that goon era back in the '70s. But today's NHL he lags behind. I wouldn't have him in my top 20 coaches all time

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
During Cherry's fives years as Boston coach, the team's rank in penalty minutes were:

1974-75: 6th.
1975-76: 6th.
1976-77: 9th.
1977-78: 7th.
1978-79: 6th.

Goons? Hardly. Possessing players capable of beating you up? Yep.

The 77-78 team was especially good when 11 goons scored 20+ goals.

This remains the all time NHL goal goons scoring record.

Last edited:

FiveForDrawingBlood

May 25, 2010
The Bruins of the Cherry era were not a goon team.

Did anybody say his teams were a goon team? Learn to read before replying. I said he was a good fit during the goon era of mid-70s. He was a hard nosed guy who knew what he was doing in such an era. But Cherry had no concept of implementing hockey systems. He was a man on man coach. As the '70s faded into the Gretzky lead offensive '80s the game started to change. As did his coaching record. He can't even coach successfully at the CHL level today. As shown by his record coaching with his Ice Dogs.

During the rough and tough era of hockey he was a good coach. But in today's high speed - high skill team implemented systems? No, he doesn't know what he is doing. Overall, no he is not one of the better coaches to coach in game

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Did anybody say his teams were a goon team? Learn to read before replying. I said he was a good fit during the goon era of mid-70s. He was a hard nosed guy who knew what he was doing in such an era. But Cherry had no concept of implementing hockey systems. He was a man on man coach. As the '70s faded into the Gretzky lead offensive '80s the game started to change. As did his coaching record. He can't even coach successfully at the CHL level today. As shown by his record coaching with his Ice Dogs.

During the rough and tough era of hockey he was a good coach. But in today's high speed - high skill team implemented systems? No, he doesn't know what he is doing. Overall, no he is not one of the better coaches to coach in game

He coached his last NHL game in 1980 so I don't know how a comparison between the two time periods could be made. While I don't know what his record would have been like in the 80's I think Cherry is smart enough to have adjusted with the times.

One thing a person should never do is underestimate another person and too many people underestimate Cherry in too many areas. He knows more about the contemporary game than most and I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Don Cherry was a player/coach. When he quit playing, he became a lesser being.

Also, it's hard to imagine how hard it was in the minors in those days. "Slapshot", if anything, underplays it. Cherry was a career minor leaguer in those days. He played on, in that environment, for fifteen years after his only NHL game. That's amazing.

When your coach is someone who did it the hard way his whole career and still wants to come to the rink every day, it's inspirational. He is a link to hockey's storied past.

Amazing guy.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
He had Mike Milbury on his team. As we all know, everything Milbury touches turns to *****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad