Don Cherry urges NHL to support possible move of Predators to Hamilton

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Regardless of what Cherry thinks this is a good idea.

You really think 3 teams in Ontario is a good idea?

After all, Hamilton just splits the difference between Toronto and Buffalo.

Is this some conspiracy to further make Eastern Conference teams have less travel than their Western Counterparts.

Of course the NHL should not be in places like Vegas or KC, but Hamilton?

Hamilton, Ontario?

Certainly not before bringing back the NHL to Winnipeg, right?

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
You really think 3 teams in Ontario is a good idea?

After all, Hamilton just splits the difference between Toronto and Buffalo.

Is this some conspiracy to further make Eastern Conference teams have less travel than their Western Counterparts.

Of course the NHL should not be in places like Vegas or KC, but Hamilton?

Hamilton, Ontario?

Certainly not before bringing back the NHL to Winnipeg, right?

Hamilton wouldn't go to the eastern conference; it would stay in the central division in the Western Conference. Hense TO, Buf, and Ott would rarely play the Ham.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
Supposedly JB bought land in East Cambridge.

East Cambridge right off of the 401 is the perfect place for an new Ontario team. It will draw people from Hamilton, Oakville, Guelph, Cambridge, London, Brampton, Etobicoke, Missassauga (which I never can spell), Burlington, and from the small towns to the north. You simply can't get Maple Leaf tickets unless you're connected, and when I lived in Toronto some of my friends were Sabres fans and drove down to Buffalo because that was the only game they could buy tickets for.

The team might have to be named after Ontario or "Golden Horseshoe" (heck, there's Golden State) in that case.

Oddly, it might be for the new Ontario team's benefit if they stay in the Western Conference so that they get to play the cool Western teams that Ontarionians don't get to see so much. If I still lived in Toronto you'd bet I'd make the hour drive to watch The Golden Horseshoe Crackberries play Calgary or Dallas.

GSC2k2*

Supposedly JB bought land in East Cambridge.

East Cambridge right off of the 401 is the perfect place for an new Ontario team. It will draw people from Hamilton, Oakville, Guelph, Cambridge, London, Brampton, Etobicoke, Missassauga (which I never can spell), Burlington, and from the small towns to the north. You simply can't get Maple Leaf tickets unless you're connected, and when I lived in Toronto some of my friends were Sabres fans and drove down to Buffalo because that was the only game they could buy tickets for.

The team might have to be named after Ontario or "Golden Horseshoe" (heck, there's Golden State) in that case.

Oddly, it might be for the new Ontario team's benefit if they stay in the Western Conference so that they get to play the cool Western teams that Ontarionians don't get to see so much. If I still lived in Toronto you'd bet I'd make the hour drive to watch The Golden Horseshoe Crackberries play Calgary or Dallas.
Balsillie bought no land. The public company for which he is CEO bought land.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Balsillie bought no land. The public company for which he is CEO bought land.

Thank you for mentioning that. People keep pointing to that as some "sure sign" of his intentions, but I'd imagine that RIM stakeholders would have plenty to say if he was using their money to buy land for NHL arenas, no matter how rabid of hockey fans they are. Jim Balsillie did not buy the land. Research in Motion did. Now, could he "buy" the land from the company down the road? Possibly, but even then there'd be a few people that would likely raise some red flags.

GSC2k2*

Thank you for mentioning that. People keep pointing to that as some "sure sign" of his intentions, but I'd imagine that RIM stakeholders would have plenty to say if he was using their money to buy land for NHL arenas, no matter how rabid of hockey fans they are. Jim Balsillie did not buy the land. Research in Motion did. Now, could he "buy" the land from the company down the road? Possibly, but even then there'd be a few people that would likely raise some red flags.
More to the point, if he was going to do so, he would have had a numbered company buy the land for himself in the first place. Why bother using RIM?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad