Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
All good...agree to disagree on this one (although I do see your points). :)

No worries on being hurt just don't like being called out as naive when nothing in my comments suggest as much.

It's all good. I could have used a better word to convey what I meant as I certainly didn't mean to insult you. I just don't get how you can list those purposes and not think all three of them are still parts of the game and always will be.

There is less fighting now and that if fine but I would hate to see it dictated out of the game exactly because it does serve those purposes (except I personally don't care about the entertainment part of it).

It keeps our sport on the edge and lends itself to a particular uniqueness that I like.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Cherry’s mind is just about gone. It’s still nostalgic and I can’t imagibe Saturday’s without him, but man it’s getting hard to listen to him stumble through sentences.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
You guys can nitpick him on some minor pronunciation gaffs but Cherry is still #1 and it's not even close.
699d44e9-457b-4bf8-8871-135af3ee4946.png

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Grapes calling Laine “good Canadian boy” :laugh:

Cherry knows Laine's Finnish.

No one's mistaking Grapes for Wordsworth...He's on air, excited, advanced in years...I'm sure he forgot to qualify "good Canadian boy" with a "like a"...

Laughing at a well-meaning elderly man for imprecision with words...Lord I hate the "information age" sometimes.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

No one's mistaking Grapes for Wordsworth...He's on air, excited, advanced in years...I'm sure he forgot to qualify "good Canadian boy" with a "like a"...

Laughing at a well-meaning elderly man for imprecision with words...Lord I hate the "information age" sometimes.

I’m not vilifying him for it.

I just thought the exchange between him and Ron was funny.

“Look at him not celebrate, good Canadian boy”
“He’s from Finland”
“Whatever”

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

I agree he didn't do it on purpose but at least acknowledge the mistake and don't dismiss it with a "whatever". I was disappointed but not surprised.

Even McLean looked miffed about it.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
I agree he didn't do it on purpose but at least acknowledge the mistake and don't dismiss it with a "whatever". I was disappointed but not surprised.

Even McLean looked miffed about it.

But...it is a "whatever" when considering the source, the intent and the context. The point is, it is dismissible all things considered. Harmless gaffes fall under the "whatever" umbrella. It's what a spirit of charity does. It absorbs the obviously harmless while simultaneously identifying the mistake as a mistake, but a harmless mistake.

And one that doesn't require correction let alone irritation with correction.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Cherry’s mind is just about gone. It’s still nostalgic and I can’t imagibe Saturday’s without him, but man it’s getting hard to listen to him stumble through sentences.
Honestly, Cherry was never that good to begin with unless you are a Leafs and/or Bruins fan. He is senile and makes little sense.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Honestly, Cherry was never that good to begin with unless you are a Leafs and/or Bruins fan. He is senile and makes little sense.

Meh. I don’t put much value into what he says about the national league players. He’s stuck in the old time hockey. I just appreciate the passion he has for the game and the things he’s done for countless members of the world who have passed away. He comes off as he legitimately cares.

I’d miss him leaving HNIC the same I would ron and the same I will bob cole

Reactions: LarryO
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->