Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Totally disagree.

The most exciting hockey to watch are world showcase events such as Olympics and WHC where fighting is non existent. How much fighting takes place when the playoffs start?

Folks may still like it for the entertainment, I personally don’t, but can’t deny it is no longer needed.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
The most exciting hockey to watch are world showcase events such as Olympics and WHC where fighting is non existent. How much fighting takes place when the playoffs start?

Folks may still like it for the entertainment, I personally don’t, but can’t deny it is no longer needed.
I don't see how you "take it out" if you give out suspensions for fighting, or game misconducts, what will happen at a much quicker pace then it already is, is diving. It will go through the roof. We'll turn into Soccer on Ice.

There are fights in the playoffs, not often, but they exist, and I'd argue that the reason it never happens in WHC and Olympics is because the guys that picked to the team aren't fighters, they just don't know how, but you're never going to ice a team of 18 skarters with that amount of talent in the NHL

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
I don't see how you "take it out" if you give out suspensions for fighting, or game misconducts, what will happen at a much quicker pace then it already is, is diving. It will go through the roof. We'll turn into Soccer on Ice.

There are fights in the playoffs, not often, but they exist, and I'd argue that the reason it never happens in WHC and Olympics is because the guys that picked to the team aren't fighters, they just don't know how, but you're never going to ice a team of 18 skarters with that amount of talent in the NHL
Diving has been part of hockey for a very long time that is nothing new and really wish it was not part of the game (the very reason I find soccer unwatchable).

I never said the NHL should “take it out”, I said it doesn’t serve a purpose. The traditional 4th line goon is no longer a role, a teams 4th line are expected to chip in and contribute to balance out scoring.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
No...what's sad is some fans remain in a cave while the sport evolves.

Is there any lighting in the cave you live in? Not that I really care.

You sound like a real beauty.

If you don't like a sport and the components of it that have made it the greatest game in the history of mankind and you think that people with a self righteous holier then thou attitude that want to change one of the key aspects of the way the game is played just because they have an elitist and haughty attitude, then perhaps you should take a look in the mirror and try to recognize this narrow minded and condescending approach to life.

Supercilious.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
If you don't like a sport and the components of it that have made it the greatest game in the history of mankind and you think that people with a self righteous holier then thou attitude that want to change one of the key aspects of the way the game is played just because they have an elitist and haughty attitude, then perhaps you should take a look in the mirror and try to recognize this narrow minded and condescending approach to life.

or...perhaps I just enjoy hockey played with speed and skill? Made no mention of having a holier than thou attitude or changing anything.

I not once said I did not enjoy fighting or felt it should be thrown out of the game surprised that wasn't more obvious...I very clearly stated I think it is no longer needed and my cave reference was directed at those that can't recognize that the game of hockey has indeed evolved into a more skilled game. Smaller players like Gaudreau, Barzal and Debricant are able to succeed and thrive in today's game when in the past they would never have had a chance.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
So what is this high and almighty reason that necessitates that the greatest sport in the world needs to "evolve"?

Why does anything need to change if it is already the best thing going?

I grew up watching Messier as the dirtiest superstar going with blatant elbows and kicks that should have banned him from playing...with Scott Steven open ice hits that targeted the head every time he destroyed someone (and yes, I cheered along with everyone else). I still remember Hextall hacking down a player with a two handed chop...and was in Vancouver when Bertuzzi assaulted Moore.

These types of events no longer happen...Stevens would be shamed as a dirty player today as would Messier. Fighting is still part of hockey today but the NHL focusing more on punishing head shots and dirty plays makes fighting redundant.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
or...perhaps I just enjoy hockey played with speed and skill? Made no mention of having a holier than thou attitude or changing anything.

I not once said I did not enjoy fighting or felt it should be thrown out of the game surprised that wasn't more obvious...I very clearly stated I think it is no longer needed and my cave reference was directed at those that can't recognize that the game of hockey has indeed evolved into a more skilled game. Smaller players like Gaudreau, Barzal and Debricant are able to succeed and thrive in today's game when in the past they would never have had a chance.

1st bold = same here. but I like speed, skill and full contact hockey.

2nd bold = I love hockey the way it has always been and thus I don't need key components of the game taken away just because a few people don't like it. Who cares about them.

3rd bold = the game of hockey has and will continue to constantly "evolve" and shift within the key elements of the game which include speed, skill and full contact. At certain times within this "evolution" certain elements will become more of a focus and then that will change again. It will ebb and flow throughout time and always will. Hence there is no reason or need to over-react and knee jerk react to changing and eliminating one of the factors that has existed as a part of the game.

If you don't think it should be thrown out of the game then that is great but then I have to say that your "cave" comment makes even less sense.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I grew up watching Messier as the dirtiest superstar going with blatant elbows and kicks that should have banned him from playing...with Scott Steven open ice hits that targeted the head every time he destroyed someone (and yes, I cheered along with everyone else). I still remember Hextall hacking down a player with a two handed chop...and was in Vancouver when Bertuzzi assaulted Moore.

These types of events no longer happen...Stevens would be shamed as a dirty player today as would Messier. Fighting is still part of hockey today but the NHL focusing more on punishing head shots and dirty plays makes fighting redundant.

I call bullpoop on the kicks but yes Messier was dirty.

I highly doubt that Stevens would be shamed as a dirty player because he played the game within the rules at the time.

Not saying you but one thing I have noticed with some people who comment on the way the game was played before and making inane comments like such and such player wouldn't be able to play today is that they don't recognize that these guys are at the top of their profession and their style would be played within the rules now just as they were them.

Fighting will be part of the ebb and flow of the game and players should always be able to help in the maintenance of keeping the dirty crap out of the sport. The league should not be mandating everything little thing similar to how we don't need the government dictating all aspects of our life.

Cheers.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
1st bold = same here. but I like speed, skill and full contact hockey.

Agreed, although full contact is not the same as straight up fighting. I am referring to the players who schedule a scrap mid game.

2nd bold = I love hockey the way it has always been and thus I don't need key components of the game taken away just because a few people don't like it. Who cares about them.

Once again not suggesting we "take it way" I said it serves no purpose, which means it will likely be phased out in time as there is less and less need for players to fight.

3rd bold = the game of hockey has and will continue to constantly "evolve" and shift within the key elements of the game which include speed, skill and full contact.
Hence there is no reason or need to over-react and knee jerk react to changing and eliminating one of the factors that has existed as a part of the game.

So basically what I suggested earlier regarding the game...made no mention of banning it all together.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer

There was absolutely NOTHING exciting about the World Hockey Championships.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
There was absolutely NOTHING exciting about the World Hockey Championships.
OK, but the Olympics (with NHL players) is outstanding hockey and I was referring to the World Cup of Hockey much like the old Canada Cup series...I believe the next one is 2020 to replace the god awful all star game.

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
Yeah, fighting is good for you and the goons play an important role in hockey!

Bob Probert, dead, age 45
Derek Boogard, dead, age 28
Rick Rypien, dead, age 27
Wade Belak, dead, age 35
Steve Montador, dead, age 35
Todd Ewan, dead, age 49

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Agreed, although full contact is not the same as straight up fighting. I am referring to the players who schedule a scrap mid game.

Once again not suggesting we "take it way" I said it serves no purpose, which means it will likely be phased out in time as there is less and less need for players to fight.

Scheduled or staged fights have gone the way of the dodo.

If you think fighting serves no purpose I suppose we've been watching different sports.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Scheduled or staged fights have gone the way of the dodo.

If you think fighting serves no purpose I suppose we've been watching different sports.
Staged fights are very much still around.

What purpose does fighting serve when the game is trending towards speed, skill and scoring?

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Are you really this naive?
Huh? What are you going on about now?

Players still have discussions on fighting ahead of time don't pretend that part of the game is gone there is still the ridiculous "call ahead for a fight" mentality, sure it is less and less but sill very much exists perhaps I am not the naive one.

Fighting in the past has always served 3 purposes:
1. Entertainment - the fans love a good scrap (not denying that) and would argue that the players enjoy it as well
2. Protection - for skilled players or players that don't typically fight. AKA - "answering the bell".
3. Energy - a good fight to get the team going when they are playing like crap.

Funny how when the playoffs roll around or the Olympics are on suddenly entertainment is the scoring and playmaking, there is limited need for protection because players are more afraid of taking a penalty which could cost a team the game and if a team needs a fight to energize them in the playoffs they likely have larger issues that fighting will never fix.

I have made my position clear...fighting serves absolutely no purpose during the game...but made no mention of getting rid of it overnight and still enjoy a hard hitting physical team (Winnipeg one of my faves for this reason).

Feel free to change my find but lay off the insults just trying to have a conversation.

TK

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Huh? What are you going on about now?

Players still have discussions on fighting ahead of time don't pretend that part of the game is gone there is still the ridiculous "call ahead for a fight" mentality, sure it is less and less but sill very much exists perhaps I am not the naive one.

Fighting in the past has always served 3 purposes:
1. Entertainment - the fans love a good scrap (not denying that) and would argue that the players enjoy it as well
2. Protection - for skilled players or players that don't typically fight. AKA - "answering the bell".
3. Energy - a good fight to get the team going when they are playing like crap.

Funny how when the playoffs roll around or the Olympics are on suddenly entertainment is the scoring and playmaking, there is limited need for protection because players are more afraid of taking a penalty which could cost a team the game and if a team needs a fight to energize them in the playoffs they likely have larger issues that fighting will never fix.

I have made my position clear...fighting serves absolutely no purpose during the game...but made no mention of getting rid of it overnight and still enjoy a hard hitting physical team (Winnipeg one of my faves for this reason).

Feel free to change my find but lay off the insults just trying to have a conversation.

TK

I have no interest in trying to change your mind and it hurts me to think that you think I was trying to insult you. I'm sorry for you if you felt that way.

We disagree and might as well leave it at that but I will comment that in respect to the purpose of fighting in the game that you have contradicted yourself, unless entertainment, protection and energy have been dissolved from the game.

As far as I can see those three elements still exist but feel free to believe otherwise.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
I have no interest in trying to change your mind and it hurts me to think that you think I was trying to insult you. I'm sorry for you if you felt that way.

We disagree and might as well leave it at that but I will comment that in respect to the purpose of fighting in the game that you have contradicted yourself, unless entertainment, protection and energy have been dissolved from the game.

As far as I can see those three elements still exist but feel free to believe otherwise.

All good...agree to disagree on this one (although I do see your points). :)

No worries on being hurt just don't like being called out as naive when nothing in my comments suggest as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad