Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Caps the nastiest team in the league?

I mean, I’ll spot you Tom Wilson (who’s suspended). But they’re big and physical but I wouldn’t say many are nasty
Actually without Wilson the Caps are a pretty soft team.

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Seems as though Don Cherrys arguments are a LITTLE inconsistent, I hope they didnt forget to change his adult diaper and warm his milk before bed at the old folks home

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
That was a solid coach's corner.
  • Halloween bat suit.
  • Compared McDavid's explosiveness or "wreckless" style to Pavel Bure with highlight package.
  • Showed the Matheson hit and mentioned Pettersson.
  • Other stuff, ...

*Cherry was wearing a coat with bat imprints (dark knight style ), he wasn't dressed as a bat.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Shocked he didn't mention the best 4th, err 3rd line in hockey of Martin-Czizikas-Clutterbuck after the Kings defenstration.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think the "don't make a guy look bad when playing hockey" argument is a slippery slope (duh).

Just minutes before he said it he had shown a montage of McDavid making a fool of his opponents. But that was just him showcasing McDavids greatness and I doubt he would defend the guy throwing him to the ice for having been made a fool of.

Nah, being consistent is not Dons strong suit. Not even his suits are.

Reactions: RegDunlop

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Just minutes before he said it he had shown a montage of McDavid making a fool of his opponents. But that was just him showcasing McDavids greatness and I doubt he would defend the guy throwing him to the ice for having been made a fool of.

Nah, being consistent is not Dons strong suit. Not even his suits are.
The distinction that some of you are missing is that Pettersson is a rookie and shouldn't be showing up a veteran. I don't agree with Cherry in this particular case but that's what this is about.

Reactions: RegDunlop

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The distinction that some of you are missing is that Pettersson is a rookie and shouldn't be showing up a veteran. I don't agree with Cherry in this particular case but that's what this is about.
A veteran should now better then letting a rookie showing him up. Trying to injure the rookie looks bad. There is a lot of legit ways to hurt a rookie that make you look like the seasoned veteran sending a message. This was not one of them.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
*Cherry was wearing a coat with bat imprints (dark knight style ), he wasn't dressed as a bat.

He was dressed up like the worst Halloween candy that the cheapest aholes in the neighborhood shelled out - these nasty tasting toffee 'kisses' that no self respecting kid ate, not even the dog got them, straight into the garbage.

blackAndOrangeKisses.jpg

Reactions: Canuck16

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
I think Don was a bit misunderstood there. I don't think he was trying to say Pettersson should not embarrass Matheson like some are implying. I think what he was trying to say is that if you show up a player like that he, especially a veteran, is going to get mad and physical. The hit was dirty but Pettersson should have been more aware that Matheson was incoming and not put himself in that position. I know people don't like victim blaming, but I do think Pettersson needs to be more careful as even with suspensions the NHL is physical and this will continue to happen especially since the hit was very much in the grey area.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
That was a solid coach's corner.
  • Halloween bat suit.
  • Compared McDavid's explosiveness or "wreckless" style to Pavel Bure with highlight package.
  • Showed the Matheson hit and mentioned Pettersson.
  • Other stuff, ...

Are you trying to hide the possibility that Don Cherry is Batman? Maybe have to start tailing Don on his geriatric adventures?

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I think Don was a bit misunderstood there. I don't think he was trying to say Pettersson should not embarrass Matheson like some are implying. I think what he was trying to say is that if you show up a player like that he, especially a veteran, is going to get mad and physical. The hit was dirty but Pettersson should have been more aware that Matheson was incoming and not put himself in that position. I know people don't like victim blaming, but I do think Pettersson needs to be more careful as even with suspensions the NHL is physical and this will continue to happen especially since the hit was very much in the grey area.
Pettersson was perfectly OK with the hit, though.

It was the stupid WWE move afterwards that was both moronic and unnecessary.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

The play that Pettersson apparently "showed up" Matheson was such a nothing play, though. He spun with the puck and then passed it behind the net. If that's considered showing up a player, what did Don think of McDavid's goal in his rookie year against Columbus? He even celebrated with a knee down, fist pump after. Was that showing up the veterans on Columbus, or perhaps it was okay because he's Canadian. Notice that Don had to mention that Pettersson was Swedish ["Maybe in the ice follies in Sweden.." was the line]. In fact I just looked up the Coach's Corner from when McDavid was injured in his rookie year and Cherry is going nuts about how the Philly d-men purposely hurt McDavid.

Obviously Don is still living in the past and no one should take what he says seriously at this point. He's entertainment value, that's it. Different than a guy like Skip Bayless, though, because I think Bayless gives his hot takes to get noticed while Don is genuine in his thoughts. If he ran a team they would be a bunch of good Canadian boys with a few goons sprinkled in to police things.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
The play that Pettersson apparently "showed up" Matheson was such a nothing play, though. He spun with the puck and then passed it behind the net. If that's considered showing up a player, what did Don think of McDavid's goal in his rookie year against Columbus? He even celebrated with a knee down, fist pump after. Was that showing up the veterans on Columbus, or perhaps it was okay because he's Canadian. Notice that Don had to mention that Pettersson was Swedish ["Maybe in the ice follies in Sweden.." was the line]. In fact I just looked up the Coach's Corner from when McDavid was injured in his rookie year and Cherry is going nuts about how the Philly d-men purposely hurt McDavid.

Obviously Don is still living in the past and no one should take what he says seriously at this point. He's entertainment value, that's it. Different than a guy like Skip Bayless, though, because I think Bayless gives his hot takes to get noticed while Don is genuine in his thoughts. If he ran a team they would be a bunch of good Canadian boys with a few goons sprinkled in to police things.

But you omit the fact that he praised Patrick Laine (a Finn) in the same segment yesterday, which removes a bit of credibility from your "Canadian" argument.

Reactions: PanthersPens62
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad