Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Every episode can be summed up the same. This is Don Cherry and much of the NHLs take on suspensions. Credit to Down Goes Brown _sub MarchanD for pronger and its up to date.
4093950458_03e4645497_o.gif

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Back in the day big hits were considered hard hitting hockey and part of the game and most hockey fans loved it including myself. It was part of the intimidation factor and of knowing that you had to be careful when you were on the ice playing against guys like Stevens.

Not that I wish players get injured, but I do miss that aspect of hockey when it was grittier and dirtier and rivalries were much more passionate and heated than it is now when alot of what fueled and made great rivalries between teams has been drastically watered down or has disappeared.
You miss all the blatantly dirty hits and injuries?

No wonder you like Cherry :thumbd:

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Every episode can be summed up the same. This is Don Cherry and much of the NHLs take on suspensions. Credit to Down Goes Brown _sub MarchanD for pronger and its up to date.
4093950458_03e4645497_o.gif

This is without a doubt one of the funniest hockey related things I've ever seen!!
I want to make a poster and hang it!
Thanks!

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Yup. You missed the point. I'm glad your enjoying soccer on ice. It's not nearly the game it once was.
Soccer on ice? Oh, because soccer is the most popular sport in the world and hockey is the most popular sport on ice in the world. Unless that's figure skating. :dunno:

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Soccer on ice? Oh, because soccer is the most popular sport in the world and hockey is the most popular sport on ice in the world. Unless that's figure skating. :dunno:
You're right the game is much closer to figure skating then it is soccer, currently.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
You're right the game is much closer to figure skating then it is soccer, currently.
Agreed. While all three sports have goalies defending nets from game objects, soccer goalies retain an old school stand-up style while both hockey and figure skating goalies play a hybrid butterfly style aided by gains in equipment size and technology.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Watching him criticize celebrations reminded me of when he criticized Hertl's 4 goal game against the Rangers. It's one thing to have class, but what the NHL needs is more personality and I think we're starting to see some. I say celebrate all you want. If the other team doesn't like it, than they shouldn't let you score. Now if you act like an asshole than that's one thing (Like going over to the opponents bench and showboating Happy Gilmore style or something), but looking at the clips from Matthews, he did nothing wrong. Also, that's Don Cherry criticizing players because of nationality again. We as a human race are so concerned with racism and nationalism I think we've forgotten the true nature of those words.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Caps the nastiest team in the league?

I mean, I’ll spot you Tom Wilson (who’s suspended). But they’re big and physical but I wouldn’t say many are nasty

Yeah I was surprised by that comment too. Washington doesn't strike me as "Nasty". Maybe in the context of hard hitting, sure, but that's hockey.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
He was giving a big compliment to Washington.

And the way they played Toronto, it was well deserved.

Definitely Toronto's physically toughest opponent so far.

Reactions: Flamer12

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
He was giving a big compliment to Washington.

And the way they played Toronto, it was well deserved.

Definitely Toronto's physically toughest opponent so far.
Oh, I understand he was giving them a compliment in his own way.

They're a physical team, but I wouldn't say nasty is a good descriptor. Heck, they've got a few too many soft Euros for Cherry to really mean that.

Tom Wilson in the lineup does change things a bit, but this Caps roster isn't built to get nasty. I would say there are a few teams in their division who have as much grit (or more).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad