Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
The last original thought Cherry had about hockey was to tell Bobby Orr to get on the ice in the 74-75 season(Orr's last full season before his cumulative knee injuries basically derailed his career). His distain for Quebec born players is only surpassed by his hatred of European players. He is a clown and when he comes on I switch the channel(usually to the weather channel where at least I learn something useful).
Dear Diary

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
My prediction for Cherry's take on Wilson's and MarchanD's hits respectively:

Wilson: He'll be outraged by the 20 game suspension and say that the victim should have had his head up. He might give Wilson a small shaming shake of the finger and say "you're a multiple repeat offender and need to tone it down just a wee bit... they're out to get you."

MarchanD: Might get a small friendly reminder about waiting for the opponent to drop his gloves first..... but c'mon, a good Canadian kid vs. a European over-exuberantly celebrating a 7-0 goal?... and then taunting the other team too boot?... that team being his beloved Bruins...

He's going to tear Eller apart.
Pretty much

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I've never paid much attention to this clown. But what I just watched shocked me. He literally defended Tom Wilson, who I have no particular venom for, but Wilson deserved that suspension. Don basically said that all other other guys should know when Wilson is on the ice, and didn't act like Wilson had any responsibility. He didn't mention the other player's name, instead calling him 'some Russian or whoever'.

He said this AFTER SHOWING CLIPS OF STEVENS taking people's heads off, like the hit on Kariya (which they showed and Cherry said 'blah blah look up see who's on the ice').

What a ****bag. I like hard hockey. I like borderline hockey. But you can't support playing on the wrong side of that line and blame the guy getting hurt with targeted headshots.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
So Maclean has a grow op somewhere in Argentina?

Haha that segment was funny.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I've never paid much attention to this clown. But what I just watched shocked me. He literally defended Tom Wilson, who I have no particular venom for, but Wilson deserved that suspension. Don basically said that all other other guys should know when Wilson is on the ice, and didn't act like Wilson had any responsibility. He didn't mention the other player's name, instead calling him 'some Russian or whoever'.

He said this AFTER SHOWING CLIPS OF STEVENS taking people's heads off, like the hit on Kariya (which they showed and Cherry said 'blah blah look up see who's on the ice').

What a ****bag. I like hard hockey. I like borderline hockey. But you can't support playing on the wrong side of that line and blame the guy getting hurt with targeted headshots.
You must be new to the sport.

Reactions: Kimota

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I've never paid much attention to this clown. But what I just watched shocked me. He literally defended Tom Wilson, who I have no particular venom for, but Wilson deserved that suspension. Don basically said that all other other guys should know when Wilson is on the ice, and didn't act like Wilson had any responsibility. He said this AFTER SHOWING CLIPS OF STEVENS taking people's heads off, like the hit on Kariya (which they showed and Cherry said 'blah blah look up see who's on the ice').

He said Wilson was stupid to make a hit like that in an exhibition game, didn't complain about the suspension. But also brought up that if a player cuts to the center from that wing, they should be aware of the danger of getting hit.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Its ok for Stevens to headhunt players back in the day ... but taking someone's knee out ... thats sacrilegious. I wonder how all the people with concussions from old school (and new school) hockey feel.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He said Wilson was stupid to make a hit like that in an exhibition game, didn't complain about the suspension. But also brought up that if a player cuts to the center from that wing, they should be aware of the danger of getting hit.
Yet ignoring how disgusting of a hitter Stevens was. Stevens was predatory and threw elbows. There's nothing to respect about him as being physical. Cherry is victim blaming here. Not that it surprises me.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Its ok for Stevens to headhunt players back in the day ... but taking someone's knee out ... thats sacrilegious. I wonder how all the people with concussions from old school (and new school) hockey feel.
Cherry is impressed with the hits, it makes no difference if it's legal/illegal/clean/dirty (that's his perspective). He probably thinks a player who didn't aim or seem to aim to hit someone up high and instead sticks his knee out, is cheap or cowardly - I'm just suggesting what might be his perspective.

Stevens was shown because some of his hits actually injured opposing players and caused concussions. Again, that consequence or result seems lost on old Don.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005

Back in the day big hits were considered hard hitting hockey and part of the game and most hockey fans loved it including myself. It was part of the intimidation factor and of knowing that you had to be careful when you were on the ice playing against guys like Stevens.

Not that I wish players get injured, but I do miss that aspect of hockey when it was grittier and dirtier and rivalries were much more passionate and heated than it is now when alot of what fueled and made great rivalries between teams has been drastically watered down or has disappeared.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Back in the day big hits were considered hard hitting hockey and part of the game and most hockey fans loved it including myself. It was part of the intimidation factor and of knowing that you had to be careful when you were on the ice playing against guys like Stevens.

Not that I wish players get injured, but I do miss that aspect of hockey when it was grittier and dirtier and rivalries were much more passionate and heated than it is now when alot of what fueled and made great rivalries between teams has been drastically watered down or has disappeared.
Amen......and the same goes with the NFL

Reactions: JerseyMike34

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
For those bashing Steven's-

That was how hockey was played then. And the product was 10X better than what it is today.

To those who think he was nothing but a headhunting goon, consider that to do what he did requires a talent that few players had.

Beside the injuries suffered...
He was a BEAUT!

Reactions: Jussi and Kimota

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
What is wrong with saying that?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

I love the hitting part of the game. I do understand the league cracking down in headshots. I wish they would police it more consistently. They penalize one hit and then let the next one go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad