Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
Not blaming anyone simply calling it like I see it...the coverage for non-Leafs teams in Canada by TSN/SN/HNIC is a joke.

To be fair, at least half those teams wouldn’t even exist if not for the salary cap. To even have a franchise they had to handicap Toronto’s ability to spend money on good players.

The least their fans could do is whine a little less.

Reactions: napoleon in rags

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Don ALWAYS harping on player celebrations. :blah: Like seriously can't we let hockey players have a TINY BIT of fun and show their emotions abit? I mean its not like most are going super overboard with their celebrations and most certainly aren't even trash talkers. I just wish Don would stop with this topic already and remember that scoring is exciting and especially when the goal is important, let the players show their excitement rather than act like they're at a funeral or something. :shakehead Its nice to see players get hyped and its usually fun for the fans to see it too.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Great segment & Grapes is far from being "done." He rambles & blabbers because he feels rushed due to the lack of time he is given. He mentioned the lack of time THREE times last night so it is a big issue with him. We got "Bergeron" & a classic "LaLongo". Loved his rant about the goal celly's and how he mocked those who say "Kids just want to express themselves". The end of the rant was perfection......reminded us just to listen to him & nobody else. Grapes is one of a kind & he will be missed on the sad day his segments are no longer a part of HNIC.

#GiveTheManMoreTime

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Great segment & Grapes is far from being "done." He rambles & blabbers because he feels rushed due to the lack of time he is given. He mentioned the lack of time THREE times last night so it is a big issue with him. We got "Bergeron" & a classic "LaLongo". Loved his rant about the goal celly's and how he mocked those who say "Kids just want to express themselves". The end of the rant was perfection......reminded us just to listen to him & nobody else. Grapes is one of a kind & he will be missed on the sad day his segments are no longer a part of HNIC.

#GiveTheManMoreTime

I want to say I agree with everything you said, but I the fact you are perpetuating the "celly" thing requires me to dock points. Bad enough some advertising genius thought to put that in a commercial, there is no need to perpetuate it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I want to say I agree with everything you said, but I the fact you are perpetuating the "celly" thing requires me to dock points. Bad enough some advertising genius thought to put that in a commercial, there is no need to perpetuate it.

This. It got really annoying during the WJC watching TSN streams (for the intermissions stuff).

I also think Don needs to let go off the goal celebration stuff, I really don't think Kuznetsov's annoys other teams unless he does it in front of their bench. When any player does that, I can understand the ranting. I think Lumbus were just really ribbing Kuznetsov for it, they were all smiles about it. I do't think Don quite understands that not everything is a big issue in today's hockey.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Honestly you blow it all up you trade anyone and everyone not including Mcdavid, trying to acquire as many draft picks and prospects and young talents as possible. Then you hope you win the cup before mcdavids 8 years are up. But chances are they will try and and do a hybrid rebuild like Montreal seems to be constantly doing and the oilers will end up like a 1st round or possible second round playoff team for a year or two. Or the same as an islanders situation and boom say goodbye to Mcdavid in 7 more regular seasons (and the odd first round exit)

Just because the first rebuild didn’t work doesn’t mean it’s not the right option. Because it is. In the mean time you treat Mcdavid like a god and defend him any time the media wants to criticize him for even a second. You back door pay him do illegal shit I don’t care but you do what it takes to keep him happy. I know for mcdavid a proud guy like him that is winning but they are not building anything around this group

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
This. It got really annoying during the WJC watching TSN streams (for the intermissions stuff).

I also think Don needs to let go off the goal celebration stuff, I really don't think Kuznetsov's annoys other teams unless he does it in front of their bench. When any player does that, I can understand the ranting. I think Lumbus were just really ribbing Kuznetsov for it, they were all smiles about it. I do't think Don quite understands that not everything is a big issue in today's hockey.

Well it's one thing to put your arms up, maybe even a little jump. A goal like Crosby's in 2010 Olympics is off the charts and nearly anything goes. but the orchestrated celebrations..... seem a bit off putting. Part of the reason celebrations are cool is the spontaneity of them. Kuznetsov's is anything but.

Not sure if you watch much baseball, but heaven forbid a team win a game at home in the 9th or later(I refuse to the term anymore that has been ESPN'd to death). It's all the same: team makes a near full circle around home plate, runner jumps on home plate, circle closes in and team jumps in unison for 5 seconds. I'm not against that celebration per se, just the fact that *every* team does it. It almost seems like it's the officially approved MLB celebration or something.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Blabbering a lot.

I still would like to see a 20-30 minute show where they address issues without too much time constraints.
He used to have a 30 minute show called Grapevine, it was on CHCH back in the late 70's.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
He used to have a 30 minute show called Grapevine, it was on CHCH back in the late 70's.

Yep!

CHCH initially focused on the local scene but scored another coup in the '70s when it stole Toronto Maple Leafs Wednesday night games away from Toronto's CFTO and ran them for 11 years. The station followed up by hiring acerbic ex-Bruins coach Don Cherry (and his dog Blue) to host the sports talk show, Grapevine.

"It was the Grapevine that turned me into what I am, I don't know whether that's good or bad, but I'm so glad I did it," says Cherry, star of Coach's Corner on Hockey Night In Canada.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Yep!

CHCH initially focused on the local scene but scored another coup in the '70s when it stole Toronto Maple Leafs Wednesday night games away from Toronto's CFTO and ran them for 11 years. The station followed up by hiring acerbic ex-Bruins coach Don Cherry (and his dog Blue) to host the sports talk show, Grapevine.

"It was the Grapevine that turned me into what I am, I don't know whether that's good or bad, but I'm so glad I did it," says Cherry, star of Coach's Corner on Hockey Night In Canada.

I used to love catching that show. There was the bartender, and he would have guests on. I forget if it was the classic Canada channel aired some episodes a number of years ago. Saw one with Gretzky after the Kings pulled the miracle on manchester. Holy cow did he look different.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I used to love catching that show. There was the bartender, and he would have guests on. I forget if it was the classic Canada channel aired some episodes a number of years ago. Saw one with Gretzky after the Kings pulled the miracle on manchester. Holy cow did he look different.
I remember that show. He talked about interviewing Joe Frazier, the legendary boxer as one his favorite episodes but you can't find it on you tube. Too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->