Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2017/2018 Playoffs Edition

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Don calling for Ottawa to move to Quebec.

I don't think it's a good idea. Neither city is a hockey town.

You may be a few beers into the night but he didn't call for Ottawa to move to Quebec.

He said they aren't drawing in Kanata... which they aren't. He said they need to build a downtown stadium.... which they might. But if they don't.... they should move to Quebec.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Don Cherry has never said a good thing about the Ottawa Senators and he never will.

His segment last night is taking two things he doesn't like - Québec and the Ottawa Senators - and packaging them together to tease both sides, he bundles up two things he has no respect for and couples them together to come up with something that disrespects both sides like any small minded bully would do - typical Don Cherry stuff.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Don calling for Ottawa to move to Quebec.

I don't think it's a good idea. Neither city is a hockey town.

Uneducated statement. Quebec had one of the best league attendances while finishing dead last 5 years in a row.

But I would never want the Nords back by sacrificing the Sens. We need more Canadian teams, not exchanging the ones we have.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Don Cherry has never said a good thing about the Ottawa Senators and he never will.

His segment last night is taking two things he doesn't like - Québec and the Ottawa Senators - and packaging them together to tease both sides, he bundles up two things he has no respect for and couples them together to come up with something that disrespects both sides like any small minded bully would do - typical Don Cherry stuff.

How are the following disrespectful:

- highlighting Ottawa isn't filling the arena in Kanata... which it isn't so 100% factual
- advocating for a new rink in downtown Ottawa which might help
- and then suggesting that if they can't build it... or fill the one they have... that the team moves to Quebec... note that he didn't say move to Louisiana

?

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

Dear Ron MacLean,
Dear Coach's Corner,
I'm writing in order...

For someone to explain
To my niece the distinction
Between these mandatory pre-game group rites of submission...

And the rallies at Nuremberg,
Specifically the function
The ritual serves in conjunction...

With what everybody knows
Is in the end a kid's game.
I'm just appealing to your sense of fair play...

When I say she's puzzled by
This incessant pressure for her to not defy
Collective will and yellow-ribboned lapels,
As the soldiers inexplicably repel...

Down from the arena rafters.
If it not so insane,
They'll be grounds for screaming laughter.

Dear Ron MacLean,
I wouldn't bother with these questions
If I didn't sense some spiritual connection.

We may not be the same,
But it's not like we're from different planets.
We both love this game so much we can hardly f***ing stand it.

Alberta-born and Prairie-raised,
Ain't a sheet of ice north of Fargo I ain't played.
Penhold to the Gatineau,
Every fond memory of childhood that I know...

Is somehow connected
To the culture of
This game; I just can't let it go.

I guess it comes down to
What kind of world you want to live in.
If diversity is disagreement,
Disagreement is treason.

Well, you'll be surprised if we find ourselves reaping...

A strange and bitter fruit
That sad old man beside you
Keeps feeding to young minds as virtue.

It takes a village to raise a child,
A flag to raze the children,
Till they're nothing more than ballasts for fulfilling...

A madman's dream
Of a paradise.
Complexity,
Reduced to black and white.

How do I
Protect her from
This cult of death?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
AH HAH, FROMUMUH PLAYED FROMUH UH CALGARY, AND HE PLAYED UHH EH EH COME FROM MOOSE JAW (and he played for moose jaw) THIS GUY IS eh-JUST A LITTLE WEE GUY ALL YOU LITTLE GUYS, THAT DON'T THINK YOU CAN PLAY, LOOK AT THE SIZE OF EM, GOT DOZE MAGIC HANDS YA JUST KEEP WORKING HARD

Don on Brayden Point

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I love Cherry but no way is Andersson the MVP or even a top 10 goalie.
Cherry said Andersen was MVP, not Anderson and I think he's right, Andersen was avg or even bad in October, but he won 2nd star for November, so Cherry has some validity to his statement for recent play.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Cherry said Andersen was MVP, not Anderson and I think he's right, Andersen was avg or even bad in October, but he won 2nd star for November, so Cherry has some validity to his statement for recent play.

I know who it was (maybe phone autocorrected?) but no he wasn't right and there was no validity at all.

I love Cherry but Andersen isn't in the top 20, probably not top 50, for MVP this year.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I know who it was (maybe phone autocorrected?) but no he wasn't right and there was no validity at all.

I love Cherry but Andersen isn't in the top 20, probably not top 50, for MVP this year.
NHL.com ranks Andersen #7 in the top 25, personally I think that's too high, but he should be in the top 20.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
NHL.com ranks Andersen #7 in the top 25, personally I think that's too high, but he should be in the top 20.

21st in GAA (take out the PTers and he moves up to 17th) 15th is sv % (up to 12). I know stats aren't everything but tough to put him even in the top 10 of goalies this year and if he is he is at the tail end of that group.

Put all the skaters ahead of him as well (at the least 1 of TB guys, Schwartz, Schiefle, Gaudreau, Kessel, McDavid, Tavares, Kopitar) and that seems to put him at 15th with the most favorable of views towards him.

Top 20 is a big stretch, top 7 is crazy, top is insane, but that's ok Cherry is still right 95% of the time so i will give him a pass here.

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
The day he retires they will have to find an even bigger leafs homer...which i dont think is possible.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
The day he retires they will have to find an even bigger leafs homer...which i dont think is possible.

He was born in Kingston, Ontario during a time when the only other Canadian team to root for was...Montreal.

And the day he retires, "they" will have to find an even bigger Bruins-Leafs homer, because that's the order of his loyalty. Like the conditions surrounding his completely reasonable love of Toronto given his birthplace makes sense, his accomplishments as the head of a Bobby Orr led Boston Bruins club define his primary allegiance...Something he notes several times a year, every year, since he's been on HNIC.

Always thought being a "homer" meant unconditional support and uncritical support for a certain club...Cherry has always called the Leafs out, be they player or management, on what he feels was scorn-worthy. Every broadcaster's a fan of one team of another...It's clear listening to Ken Daniels that he loves the Red Wings. It's clear listening to Hughson he doesn't love Toronto. And as a Leafs fan, I enjoy hearing Daniels call a Wings game, much more than I enjoy watching a Hughson called Leafs game.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
How are the following disrespectful:

- highlighting Ottawa isn't filling the arena in Kanata... which it isn't so 100% factual
- advocating for a new rink in downtown Ottawa which might help
- and then suggesting that if they can't build it... or fill the one they have... that the team moves to Quebec... note that he didn't say move to Louisiana

?
You'd get crowds of at least equal size in New Orleans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->