Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2017/2018 Playoffs Edition

byrone12

Aug 2, 2005
Having listened to him since about 1980 - I've heard it. He usually just says French guys - by which he means French Canadian or Quebecois, always pejoratively and with a not so subtle inference that they are not Canadian - i.e. when the COC picked Jean-Luc Brassard to carry the flag in Nagano he said "They picked some French guy, some ski guy that nobody knows ...". Or on visors "Most of the guys who wear them are Europeans and French guys".

You quote “Frenchies”, he never said that

You’re making it up

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Wow. Accidentally tripped onto this thread to see what was up with Hockey Night in Canada and instead got a political conversation.

I guess it is popular to trumpet 'diversity' as long as we aren't talking about diverse opinions.

The guy has been a bit of an anachronism for decades - but it doesn't make his opinions or tastes less valid than anyone else's.

I can only speak for myself - but I don't find it really difficult to separate an entertainer from his (apparent) politics - unless he is actively waving them in my face trying to get me to change my own.

Just enjoy the entertainment, learn a bit about hockey, leave your rants at home for people who are looking for a fight.

That's exactly what Cherry does with all his ridiculous grandstanding. This is a guy who used what's ostensibly a hockey show to argue that Canadians should have been dying over in Iraq.

The other thing is that Cherry obviously has very little insight into modern hockey, no more than most knowledgeable fans do. This was exemplified by his last disastrous attempt to own, manage, and coach a junior team. He's a dinosaur who doesn't understand modern systems, training, deployment patterns, and so on.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Why shouldn't people call that racist? It's pretty much racist when people from Italy are welcomed in (because they look like you) but people from say Sri Lanka are not because they don't. What else should I call that? If you don't like people who don't look like you, then stop inviting them to your country. You have this perception that people are begging to get into Canada...I think you should go see many developing countries where Canada literally advertises itself to come.

Nice try, kiddo. Your ignorance is astounding. Since everything is seems to be racist to you, I'm going to go ahead and call you racist. Just because you have some sort of white guilt, doesn't mean you can be a racist. Which apparently, by your definition, you are.

Do you think Italians were always welcome in Canada? They immigrated here en masse and were definitely descriminated against. You saying "people from Italy are welcomed in because they look like you", undermines the struggles my parents and grandparents had when they immigrated here. It undermines the fact that they couldn't get jobs because of thier nationality and were told things like "why are you eating worms", in reference to them eating spaghetti.

In fact, being born here, I have also been descriminated against despite "looking like you" (whatever that means. You're no different than Cherry, IMO. Disgusting). Let alone the fact that people always ask me if I'm Italian, despite "looking like you".

I went to a wedding in Northern Canada for my ex-girlfriend's cousin. (Funny enough, it was Sturgeon Falls, which was mentioned by the poster you quoted). I was berated by the father of the bride, for being Italian despite "looking like you". He was livid and I thought there was going to be a fight but I just walked away. I've also been told that maybe I should look for a job in an Italian restaurant when applying for a job in a not-Italian restaurant. I don't even want to get into the countless insults slung at me for my culture. It doesn't bother me but it happens.

The point is, as much as you want it to be, the issue isn't so black and white (pun intended). It has to do with culture not skin colour. Canadians want people here that will embrace Canadian culture, just like any other country wants from their immigrants. It takes many years for cultures to establish themselves in a new country. The Italians did it, as did the West Indians. We are seeing it now with the Chinese and East Indians.

I guess there are just some things school, tumblr, and your bullshit identity politics, can't teach you. Hopefully you'll grow up one day and realize there is a real world out there.

Last edited:

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Don Cherry became very excited this weekend when his doctor told him he was "going senile".

Apparently, he's always wanted to visit Egypt.

Reactions: Leafblooded

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
I stopped watching coach's corner a few years ago. Whenever it comes on, I just throw it on mute and go check the scoreboard, see how my fantasy team is doing so far that night, etc.

It seemed like every time CC came on, Cherry would start talking about a human interest story involving organized sport or often times, from the military and good on him for raising awareness for the causes he does or honoring those who deserve it but I just got so tired of watching an elderly man cry on a regular basis, which seemed like every week even though I know it wasn't.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Nice try, kiddo. Your ignorance is astounding. Since everything is seems to be racist to you, I'm going to go ahead and call you racist. Just because you have some sort of white guilt, doesn't mean you can be a racist. Which apparently, by your definition, you are.

Do you think Italians were always welcome in Canada? They immigrated here en masse and were definitely descriminated against. You saying "people from Italy are welcomed in because they look like you", undermines the struggles my parents and grandparents had when they immigrated here. It undermines the fact that they couldn't get jobs because of thier nationality and were told things like "why are you eating worms", in reference to them eating spaghetti.

In fact, being born here, I have also been descriminated against despite "looking like you" (whatever that means. You're no different than Cherry, IMO. Disgusting). Let alone the fact that people always ask me if I'm Italian, despite "looking like you".

I went to a wedding in Northern Canada for my ex-girlfriend's cousin. (Funny enough, it was Sturgeon Falls, which was mentioned by the poster you quoted). I was berated by the father of the bride, for being Italian despite "looking like you". He was livid and I thought there was going to be a fight but I just walked away. I've also been told that maybe I should look for a job in an Italian restaurant when applying for a job in a not-Italian restaurant. I don't even want to get into the countless insults slung at me for my culture. It doesn't bother me but it happens.

The point is, as much as you want it to be, the issue isn't so black and white (pun intended). It has to do with culture not skin colour. Canadians want people here that will embrace Canadian culture, just like any other country wants from their immigrants. It takes many years for cultures to establish themselves in a new country. The Italians did it, as did the West Indians. We are seeing it now with the Chinese and East Indians.

I guess there are just some things school, tumblr, and your bull**** identity politics, can't teach you. Hopefully you'll grow up one day and realize there is a real world out there.

While I can appreciate you pointing out the fallacy of his arguments, the line about internet arguing and special olympics comes to mind.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
"Countless insults slung at me for my culture."

I must be one of the lucky Italians who doesn't get discriminated against.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
"Countless insults slung at me for my culture."

I must be one of the lucky Italians who doesn't get discriminated against.

The point the poster made was about incoming cultures adapting to Canadian cultures rather than deforming them or misrepresenting what it is in order to serve their wants.

And I think moreover, to highlight the historical reality that previous immigrant populations had to endure their own biases and the biases of the resident culture until subsequent generations could be regarded as fully assimilated Canadians. Contrast that to certain present immigrant populations attempting to deform the resident culture into their own at the expense of the resident culture and you have a grave reality that some are either hideously and opportunistically aware of, or, wilfully ignorant of.

Your present (Italian) experience is the direct result of other (Italian) experiences endured by men like my (Italian) grandfather. Before he opened up a restaurant and became a respected member of his community, he endured all kinds of ignorance, worked terrible jobs, learned the language, raised a family to love Canada even as they loved their Italian heritage. There was no false attribution that the country that took him in and allowed him to have a better life than the land he loved was somehow at the same time beautiful and terrible. Sure, he commented on other culture's food as "not the best" noting it lacked "essencha" (His best attempt at his favourite English word, essential) ingredients...And there were a lot of grumbles about "big-shots" with respect to individuals he'd encounter, but he never, never, never, EVER lost sight of the privilege it was to be Canadian.

He would have cried in disbelief and gratitude for a society as welcoming as this in light of what welcomed him. But he endured because that was (and is) the right thing to do. And at he end of efforts like his, other lucky Italians to come aren't discriminated against.

You're entirely missing the point of the post and the side of the thread the poster commented on.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012

Hear. Hear!

More's the irony...The poster in question actually ignored my point that my (Italian) grandfather WASN'T "welcomed" by all the community at large and went entirely opposite to my representation that (as you also noted) when that wave of Italians came, they endured all sorts of unfounded prejudice.

It's as though opinions like the poster you corrected, and those of his ilk, either cannot or will not represent the other elements of an argument, in that, like fitting preferred facts to preformed conclusions, the truth isn't of any concern if it means confounding their wants.

Well said, PR. Well said.

Reactions: PickleRick

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada

I guess there are just some things school, tumblr, and your bull**** identity politics, can't teach you. Hopefully you'll grow up one day and realize there is a real world out there.

Sorry, man. All I can think about when I see your posts is this display of autism.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Hear. Hear!

More's the irony...The poster in question actually ignored my point that my (Italian) grandfather WASN'T "welcomed" by all the community at large and went entirely opposite to my representation that (as you also noted) when that wave of Italians came, they endured all sorts of unfounded prejudice.

It's as though opinions like the poster you corrected, and those of his ilk, either cannot or will not represent the other elements of an argument, in that, like fitting preferred facts to preformed conclusions, the truth isn't of any concern if it means confounding their wants.

Well said, PR. Well said.

Every culture/people can be (and has been) racist to everyone else. Any group who claims otherwise are the actual racists (like, you know, the "social justice"-obsessed left).

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Surprisingly cheerful tribute for Gord Downie.

And wtf is with the Canny Westjet and that walk. He has absolutely no clue and you could see Ron trying to talk over him to get it right.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Coaches Corner makes HNIC. Its better than the games most Saturday Nights. Cherry is amazingly knowledgeable and is by far along with Ron MacLean the stars of HNIC.

MacLean is a star, and he's also Cherry's babysitter. Cherry's best days are long behind him and he's an embarrassment now.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What was up with Cherry's left side of his face last night (Toronto @ Ottawa)? Looked like a giant tumour or something.

I really don't think much of the guy but I have to give props to an 80 something year old man still givin'er like he does and hopes he is healthy...

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I stopped watching coach's corner a few years ago. Whenever it comes on, I just throw it on mute and go check the scoreboard, see how my fantasy team is doing so far that night, etc.

It seemed like every time CC came on, Cherry would start talking about a human interest story involving organized sport or often times, from the military and good on him for raising awareness for the causes he does or honoring those who deserve it but I just got so tired of watching an elderly man cry on a regular basis, which seemed like every week even though I know it wasn't.

i sincerely applaud you.

thank you for not watching if it is something that does not appeal to you.

there is nothing worse then all these hypocrites who whine and cry and cry and whine and female dog about cherry and say things about him that are FAR worse then anything he has ever said. if they hate him so much why do they watch him so obediently?

at least you recognize what you don't like and don't try to patronize others for it.

for example i can not stand ron maclean. other then coach's corner i will never watch anything that involves him, rather then watching his idiocy and constantly complaining about it i simply don't watch.

i wish the cherry haters would grow up and do the same.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I wish he would retire, he has not be relevant in over a decade. Time to bring some younger talent in to replace the old fart.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I'm as European as they come and I love Grapes, as do most other Europeans. Nobody needs you people getting offended on their behalf. I can guarantee you most Russians appreciate a guy who speaks his mind as opposed to the neutered commentary that's so common in North American sports.

Thank you!

Putin himself would probably say the same thing, man did he cause an uproar in the states when he stopped playing "The Game"

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Most people here take Cherry too seriously.

At the end of the day Cherry is nothing more than an entertainer, and a very good one at that. Love him or hate him, there’s no denying his success as a performer.

Cherry obviously believes what he speaks, but it’s also obvious that he purposely exaggerates the ‘narrow minded old-timer’ thing. Cherry’s no dummy. It’s his shtick. He’s crafted an image for himself and plays the part to perfection.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad