Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2017/2018 Playoffs Edition

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
The one thing consistent about Don Cherry in, probably the last 15 years, is that he's almost always wrong.

He's been a big proponent of fighting in the NHL for decades. More recently however (2011) he savagely criticized former enforcers - "pukes" as he called them - Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan and Jim Thomson for being among the first to claim that fighting during their NHL careers led to mental health and substance abuse problem later in, and after their careers. Now with the deaths of Derek Boogard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak and Todd Ewen and the increased understanding of CTE and it's mental health impacts, it's pretty clear that Cherry was wrong. Unfortunately, many young athletes have paid and continue to pay the price for acceptance of staged fighting and "enforcers" in hockey - for which Cherry has been the loudest voice and biggest proponent for decades.

He was a big time backer of Rob Ford - said he would be the best mayor Toronto had ever seen and ripped his detractors as "pinkos". Ford (as predicted by the pinkos) turned out to be a racists, misogynist populist whose outrageous behaviour should have disqualified him from office. Need we go into how wrong he was about Rob Ford?

He's (not surprisingly) a supporter of Donald Trump - a bigot, misogynist, populist whose outrageous behaviour should have disqualified him from office. I suppose Trumps "America first" nationalistic rhetoric strikes a chord whith Cherry who is an unabashedly nationalistic Canadian. But there is a fine line between patriotism, nationalism and the xenophobic.

Cherry routinely crosses this line with is criticim of Russians, Swedes, "Euros" and "Frenchies", by which he means Quebec players who are apparently not Canadian enough for him. He once said the best thing about the CFL is that it doesn't have any Russians or Swedes. He basically created the "chicken Swede" meme, the idea that only "Frenchies" and Swedes wear visors and that a team with a Swedish captain couldn't win the Stanley Cup. He was wrong about that as well. He has also taken several shots at PK Subban and Evander Kane, but it wouldn't be fair to call these racially motivated.

He was also wrong when the criticized The Tenors - Remigio Pereira - for mangling the words to Oh Canada and inserting "all lives matter to the brave" with Cherry saying "all the left wing wierdos" in the country would be happy with the rendition. He was wrong because most people of all political stripes were offended by the mangling of the national anthem. He was even more wrong because "all lives matter" was actually a conservative media (Fox News talking point) response to the "Black Lives Matter" movement and is not associated with left of centre politics.

Given that he doesn't really get what Black Lives Matter is/was all about, doesn't appreciate cultural diversity in Canada and doesn't even think Francophone Canadians are truly Canadian, it's not surprising that singular and narrow view of what it means to be Canadian, he also doesn't understand or appreciate the issues that black communities and black men in particular face when encountering the police in the United States.

To be fair, many old white men of Don Cherry's generation espouse similar viewpoints (coming from a while male who is not that much younger than Cherry). But as their viewpoints are the product of a different age and no longer reflective of today's culture, most are put out to pasture and not provided national platform to spew their ignorance from. CBC should (metaphorically) take him out and shoot him.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
The one thing consistent about Don Cherry in, probably the last 15 years, is that he's almost always wrong.

He's been a big proponent of fighting in the NHL for decades. More recently however (2011) he savagely criticized former enforcers - "pukes" as he called them - Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan and Jim Thomson for being among the first to claim that fighting during their NHL careers led to mental health and substance abuse problem later in, and after their careers. Now with the deaths of Derek Boogard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak and Todd Ewen and the increased understanding of CTE and it's mental health impacts, it's pretty clear that Cherry was wrong. Unfortunately, many young athletes have paid and continue to pay the price for acceptance of staged fighting and "enforcers" in hockey - for which Cherry has been the loudest voice and biggest proponent for decades.

He was a big time backer of Rob Ford - said he would be the best mayor Toronto had ever seen and ripped his detractors as "pinkos". Ford (as predicted by the pinkos) turned out to be a racists, misogynist populist whose outrageous behaviour should have disqualified him from office. Need we go into how wrong he was about Rob Ford?

He's (not surprisingly) a supporter of Donald Trump - a bigot, misogynist, populist whose outrageous behaviour should have disqualified him from office. I suppose Trumps "America first" nationalistic rhetoric strikes a chord whith Cherry who is an unabashedly nationalistic Canadian. But there is a fine line between patriotism, nationalism and the xenophobic.

Cherry routinely crosses this line with is criticim of Russians, Swedes, "Euros" and "Frenchies", by which he means Quebec players who are apparently not Canadian enough for him. He once said the best thing about the CFL is that it doesn't have any Russians or Swedes. He basically created the "chicken Swede" meme, the idea that only "Frenchies" and Swedes wear visors and that a team with a Swedish captain couldn't win the Stanley Cup. He was wrong about that as well. He has also taken several shots at PK Subban and Evander Kane, but it wouldn't be fair to call these racially motivated.

He was also wrong when the criticized The Tenors - Remigio Pereira - for mangling the words to Oh Canada and inserting "all lives matter to the brave" with Cherry saying "all the left wing wierdos" in the country would be happy with the rendition. He was wrong because most people of all political stripes were offended by the mangling of the national anthem. He was even more wrong because "all lives matter" was actually a conservative media (Fox News talking point) response to the "Black Lives Matter" movement and is not associated with left of centre politics.

Given that he doesn't really get what Black Lives Matter is/was all about, doesn't appreciate cultural diversity in Canada and doesn't even think Francophone Canadians are truly Canadian, it's not surprising that singular and narrow view of what it means to be Canadian, he also doesn't understand or appreciate the issues that black communities and black men in particular face when encountering the police in the United States.

To be fair, many old white men of Don Cherry's generation espouse similar viewpoints (coming from a while male who is not that much younger than Cherry). But as their viewpoints are the product of a different age and no longer reflective of today's culture, most are put out to pasture and not provided national platform to spew their ignorance from. CBC should (metaphorically) take him out and shoot him.
He said Jagr wouldn't amount to anything. Doesn't know how to play.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
He said Jagr wouldn't amount to anything. Doesn't know how to play.

You can see how much Grapes has mellowed since then. That clip was classic Don from the 80's & 90's.

Again, I don't agree with everything he says (& he was clearly wrong about "Yammy Yager") but I still agree with those posters who says he knows a ton about the game itself & by God he is extremely entertaining.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
You can see how much Grapes has mellowed since then. That clip was classic Don from the 80's & 90's.

Yes I know that is his personality. The thing that stands out for me is that he makes predictions on a recurring basis. When he gets them rights he is always sure to point them out. Mentioning predictions from years back in clips. Pointing out that he predicted it. Once in a while it's ok to show you are wrong. With ovechkin I have seen him lighten up on over the years. I understand he does not have a lot of time in the segments though.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
In my "part of the woods"? What part would that be, the wig-wearing, feather-writing, noblesse oblige, English aristocracy checking in from one of several owned plantations, just sailed over from titled lands and castles "part of the woods" that can only fit your abstract? I'm from Toronto. Got married in Ottawa because the French-Canadian side of my family was closer there than Toronto, honeymooned in Quebec City, returned three times since. Used to visit French-speaking family in Sturgeon Falls as a kid...So, I'm not sure - from experience - what you mean when you attempt to state that to be French-Canadian is to detest Cherry's positions on any number of things. You think French-Canadians are so dumb as to not be able to separate Don Cherry's generational short-comings (e.g. cumbersome pronunciation, absence of contemporary socially vanguard politically correct terminology, etc...) and emotional outbursts from the integrity of his content and actions?

Okay, so basically Ontario with a side order of French. So your view of Canada is predominantly that of an English Ontarian. Would I be right to assume that? You are entitled to that view and have a right to display that view publicly , but as I mentioned earlier, Canada's culture varies from region and from background. Secondly, many French Canadians view Don Cherry as a personification of English Canada in general. A loud, obnoxious and holier than thou character, looking down upon the Cretans who are not "of his kind". If Don Cherry hasn't said this bluntly or publicly, he certainly gives that vibe...and what's troubling is that he doesn't try and remove himself from that label or vibe...he tends to just remain silent. What can one conclude from that?

Furthermore, some of his comments are certainly borderline racist. Back in 2004, he said that most NHL players who wear protective visors are “European or French guys,”...in other words implying cowardice. In 2015, MacLean mentioned he’d eaten a seal burger in Newfoundland, and Cherry roasted him, asking if he was a “savage” or “barbarian.” The Inuit community, which has a seal-hunting tradition, wasn't amused at all. In 2003, Cherry launched into a controversial pro-U.S. tirade, slamming Chretien and the Liberals for declining to back Bush’s invasion of Iraq...an invasion that has now been clearly proven was based on a LIE and the cause of the rise of ISIS...which in turn destabilized the Middle East and led to the refugee crisis we're seeing today. Amazing isn't it?

I'm more than happy to provide some elementary school quotes about the Canadian identity from politicians, authors and cultural darlings if that will confirm your bias, but the lived experience of being Canadian doesn't exclude one truth in order to shoe-horn in a concept that is presently fashionably and abstractly preferred amongst some i.e. Don Cherry is a racist of material effect. This to say, what Don Cherry is and what he supports is part of that developing Canadian identity in the same way a tree is a developing entity over gradual time. And you can't exclude the present and future actuality from the plainly understandable once and former and future potentiality. Men like my Great-Grandfather didn't wake up for 60 plus years in the middle of the night screaming from three survived WWI battles and it's horrors, only in the daytime to assure his daughter (my Grandmother) that horrifying as war is that his greatest regret was killing men (i.e. Germans) who could have been his best friend. That man picked shrapnel out of his body for those same 60 plus years...Out of the parts that were whole and out of parts that resembled skin-covered holes. Point out the intolerance and the prejudice in that man and I'll agree with your characterization of Don Cherry.

What exactly has changed about Canada in the past 60 years? The constitution is still the same, the charter of rights still exist and good government is still practiced. The only thing that has changed are faces and technology. There are less people who align with the traditional British ways of yesteryear. Is this a bad thing? Is so, why? And how does that negatively impact Canada? Will any of the things I mentioned earlier change (ie. Good government, Charter of Rights etc.) be threatened if we don't adhere to that culture?

My issue with Don Cherry is the vibe he gives off. If you were giving off a certain vibes to people that you clearly didn't align with, would you not make an attempt to try and void yourself of that vibe? For example, if Don Cherry (and he knows this mind you) gave off a "racist vibe" wouldn't he make an effort or attempt to rid himself of that vibe? He doesn't...which sort of shocked me...originally I was a supporter of Don Cherry to be honest and for the most part I agree with his views on hockey becoming soft, but as more time has elapsed, I've started noticing oddities and hypocrisies. Let's put politics aside, and talk about hockey. Tie Domi and Marty McSorley were lauded by Cherry for being tough hockey players, while European players like Ulf Samuelsson and Tomas Sandstrom who play the same style are termed "dirty".

No, I haven't confused "Canadiana" with Ontario. But you obviously have a prejudice against the role of importance British culture has played in defining a substantial portion of the identity of Canada. Truth of the matter is, you've imported your prejudice into my definition without inquiring if my definition included other elements of the Canadian identity.

I have zero bias against the importance of British culture in Canada. My problem is with British colonialism and the after effects of that British colonialism. I am of Asian descent, and Britain had colonized the territory of my parents for 105 years (1842 to 1947)...it's for another discussion, but I'll be happy to explain why I have issues with it if you ask.

I also didn't say English Canadian culture was the "best culture"...I said, " I don't get this equivocation of cultures. They're not equal. Canada's is better than most." Now...Can you read? Because there's nothing pre-eminent about English Canadian culture in that statement. That's Canada with a capital C and the word "better" doesn't mean "best" in some slap-dash pronouncement. It's a statement bordering on a tautology. If a Canadian living in Canada doesn't in some way shape or form understand it's reasonable to believe his country by objective and subjective analysis is a country and a culture "better than most" than there's a few international polling companies he/she needs to consult and perhaps a few interviews with people waiting to get into the country.

But who is equivocating cultures? And what cultures might I ask I being equaled to that of Canada? And why is it a problem?

You know as much about my online subscriptions as you do my life's experience and my family's history and my apprehension of what it means to be Canadian. I don't know how old you are or how young you are, but the presumption of moral high ground without first approaching the dignity and integrity of the individual is typically a young man's error. It's called hubris and attempting to represent a ratings winning segment on Canada's longest running, most successful program and equating it with something prejudicial is nonsense. Segments on and praise for players like Jordan Tootoo, his obvious affection for Wayne Simmonds and Nazem Kadri or the repeated championing of the AMERICAN developmental system over the years justify Cherry's position from a hockey standpoint. His support for the country and it's values are non-negotiable. His affect and his earned worldview that support such noble causes being drummed as being both acceptable and "racist" is the true cause for alarm, but not for the accused - for the accusers. I disagree...One doesn't have an absolute right to impose incomplete emotional apprehension and convey them as intellectually minded reasons in order to compel unnecessary efforts into investigating non-threatening situations. Don Cherry is no more an "English colonialist" than any other man, woman or child of Scottish or Irish descent, which if you've bothered to pay attention, is in fact what Don Cherry is. If you have no issue with what he honours, then what is your actual, verifiable issue? His criticism of the deformed left? Hell...I'm a former Liberal, and I can no loner recognize the party or the political leaning as I once knew it, that suspicion and confusion doesn't make me racist, it makes me a critically minded individual. Now...In demanding a standard of integrity and consistency from others, do you require encouragement to account for inconsistent positions? Or in the manner you expect others to self-correct, are you going to address your errors and assumptions plainly noted above?

Honouring soldiers doesn't make one racist. You are of the assumption that because he holds a certain political view that I assume he's racist. No, judging from his comments and from his SILENCE, I can see why people call him racist. Do I think Don Cherry is a racist...no. But do I think Don Cherry is a traditionalist who would rather see Canada remain the way it was before Trudeau's immigration changes. Yes.

My issue is the vibe Don Cherry gives off and his silence to rid himself of that vibe, which speaks volumes. If you're okay with people calling your a racist, well what other conclusion should I come too?

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Unfortunately, this whole thing about national anthems, flags and protests has become a massive distraction from the issue that athletes like Colin Kaepernick were trying to raise. The dialog, such as it is, has become all about symbols - flags, soldiers, anthems, respect, nationalism etc., and far too many people are making political mileage with the symbols while denying the real issue.

The problem for black people in America is that in so many cases, the police who are there to protect and serve them, see and treat them as a threat and as adversaries. The causes are many and complex - crime rates, disparities in education, healthcare and opportunities, inadequate or ill concieved police training, the militarization of police weapons and tactics, gerrymandering that denies minorities representative government, etc. Strangely, while crime rates have been dropping for decades, the fear of crime is on the increase (and this is true in Canada as well). However any way you slice it, the effect is that a white person is presumed to have the right to walk or drive down any public street in America without fear of harrassment from the police. A black man knows that he can be stopped, harrassed, arrested, beaten or even shot by the police for being in the "wrong" public place. Thanks to "stand your ground" statues, a white man in Florida can even shoot and kill a young, unarmed black man because he feared a potential threat. There is no liberty and justice for all.

The point Colin Kaepernick was trying to make, was that util the land of the free and the home of the brave included black people, he was going to take a knee during the national anthem. Unfortunately, the message has been lost in all the posturing and pontificating. As a fat, old, wealthy, white man, Don Cherry should just S.T.F.U.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Okay, so basically Ontario with a side order of French. So your view of Canada is predominantly that of an English Ontarian. Would I be right to assume that? You are entitled to that view and have a right to display that view publicly , but as I mentioned earlier, Canada's culture varies from region and from background. Secondly, many French Canadians view Don Cherry as a personification of English Canada in general. A loud, obnoxious and holier than thou character, looking down upon the Cretans who are not "of his kind".

"Basically" isn't your universal relativists' charge card security code. "Basically" doesn't dismiss the cultural cache my family's experience informs me of in an exchange where being Canadian is concerned in a country largely defined by "Ontario with a side order of French". Do you know what it entails for a family like mine who has roots here and in Europe and a presence in both English and French Canada? And the East Coast once upon a time?

And again, an assumption, "So your view of Canada is predominantly that of an English Ontarian." An English-speaking man born in Toronto, yep. But I don't know what the predominant view of English-speaking Ontarians is...And neither do you. You have a supposition, but you don't have an experiential, informed opinion. There's a vast difference of experience amongst English-speaking Ontarians. A Scottish family from Windsor might have an entirely different apprehension than an actual English family from North York. What you're attempting to normalize is your conception of English-speaking (And I presume you mean, "White Ontarians"?) Canadian views which are as varied as individuals may be and the political expression necessarily therein.

As to your secondary caricature re: French Canadians viewing Don Cherry as a personification of English Canada...I'm not sure if you caught the not-so subtle implication from a comment I provided prior to this one, but it conveyed the opposite of what you're saying by personal familial experience, not to mention friendships that remain in Quebec to this day...You're obviously parroting the most available, opportunistic script that poses as ethical intention but is bereft of real meaning.

And it's patently false to describe his demeanour as "looking down upon Cretans who are not of 'his kind'." How on Earth would the CBC survive that type of obvious prejudice?

If Don Cherry hasn't said this bluntly or publicly, he certainly gives that vibe...and what's troubling is that he doesn't try and remove himself from that label or vibe...he tends to just remain silent. What can one conclude from that?[

That where no material racism exists (i.e. "what's troubling is that he doesn't try and remove himself from that label or vibe...") and that your lack of training in critical thinking is demonstrating a preference absent evidence.

You're willing to vilify an elderly man with no personal experience, with no verifiable racism that adheres to any rational definition who just happens to work for a Crown Corporation and you're only target of precise accusation lays within the realm of..."vibe" and that said symbol of disunity is culpable because he doesn't address the deficiencies in the "vibe" he gives out and ignores the apparent "label" he's (un?)aware of...Did I get that right?

Your efforts are real, your reasons are phantasmagorical. You simply have no valid premises from which to draw your preferred conclusions.

Furthermore, some of his comments are certainly borderline racist. Back in 2004, he said that most NHL players who wear protective visors are “European or French guys,”...in other words implying cowardice. In 2015, MacLean mentioned he’d eaten a seal burger in Newfoundland, and Cherry roasted him, asking if he was a “savage” or “barbarian.” The Inuit community, which has a seal-hunting tradition, wasn't amused at all. In 2003, Cherry launched into a controversial pro-U.S. tirade, slamming Chretien and the Liberals for declining to back Bush’s invasion of Iraq...an invasion that has now been clearly proven was based on a LIE and the cause of the rise of ISIS...which in turn destabilized the Middle East and led to the refugee crisis we're seeing today. Amazing isn't it?

I wish you would remember the brief history I provided you with and cease attempting to tell me what Canadian culture, coast to coast to coast is. As for your rabbit hole, no thanks. I'm here for the hockey and the brief vanity tangents that one must address here from time to time.

If you wish a tete a tete apropos of geopolitics, message me privately for a venue of your choosing that wouldn't mimic your work in this thread.

What exactly has changed about Canada in the past 60 years? The constitution is still the same, the charter of rights still exist and good government is still practiced. The only thing that has changed are faces and technology. There are less people who align with the traditional British ways of yesteryear. Is this a bad thing? Is so, why? And how does that negatively impact Canada? Will any of the things I mentioned earlier change (ie. Good government, Charter of Rights etc.) be threatened if we don't adhere to that culture?

So I take it you couldn't sense prejudice and tolerance from the anecdote of my Great-Grandfather, an early Canadian, n'est ce pas?

I'm missing the necessity of your questions. You seem to need a perspective in me and in those who defend Don Cherry as being opposite to one that fights for rather than against all people of good will who either live or come to Canada to live.

The problem is yours, sir, not mine, not my family's and not in the overwhelming majority of Canadians who are loyal to Canada.

And will less people adhering to the foundational culture of this said culture that has provided a haven for all peoples of the world to live in harmony and peace? You mean like our model of government you just called good and our Charter and our Constitution which similarly rely on British/European political culture?

Well you tell me...If we adopt Pakistani models of diplomacy and democracy are we going to be better off or worse?

You see, it's plainly revisionist to deny the origins and identity of the founding cultures in the civilization so plainly deferential to them. You're playing the neo-marxist's new game...Haves and Have-Nots didn't work, so the Oppressors and the Oppressed is the next best thing. It appeals to the intellectually regressive and it will spawn intellectual regression...And it's best typified in efforts to compel speech and then eventually, compel thought i.e. compel "vibes".

My issue with Don Cherry is the vibe he gives off. If you were giving off a certain vibes to people that you clearly didn't align with, would you not make an attempt to try and void yourself of that vibe? For example, if Don Cherry (and he knows this mind you) gave off a "racist vibe" wouldn't he make an effort or attempt to rid himself of that vibe?

Again...The word of the day is: Phantasmagorical. These "vibes" you charge Cherry with beg all sorts of questions about sobriety and internet usage. Feelings betray people all the time. The will is concerned with social engineering in a manner that assumes puerile behaviour is temporary and with maturity sees the good in the person while it tolerates the bad or impolitic.

What you repeat as a "racist vibe" isn't racist, it's gruff, it's impolitic, it's inconsiderate and impatient, but...Culturally speaking, and maybe that's the problem, that you have no reference for it...Culturally speaking, Cherry's demeanour is typical for his generation. There were Jamaicans and Italians and Filopinos in my neighbourhood that were equally gruff and impolite and impatient amongst men and women...No one I knew took offence to pride in one's country or inferred being short-tempered as a short-hand for racism.

You go from accusing him according to "vibe" to confessing that you "know" that Cherry "knows" that in a hypothetical situation in which he knew he was giving off a "racist vibe" that he would attempt to rid himself of said "racist vibe"...That makes absolutely zero sense.

He doesn't...which sort of shocked me...originally I was a supporter of Don Cherry to be honest and for the most part I agree with his views on hockey becoming soft, but as more time has elapsed, I've started noticing oddities and hypocrisies. Let's put politics aside, and talk about hockey. Tie Domi and Marty McSorley were lauded by Cherry for being tough hockey players, while European players like Ulf Samuelsson and Tomas Sandstrom who play the same style are termed "dirty".

Right...Well Tie Domi's first name is actually spelled, T-A-H-I-R. So...If there's another less inconvenient example to your preferred narrative, next reply's the time to address the inconsistency commensurate with your repeated charge.

I have zero bias against the importance of British culture in Canada. My problem is with British colonialism and the after effects of that British colonialism. I am of Asian descent, and Britain had colonized the territory of my parents for 105 years (1842 to 1947)...it's for another discussion, but I'll be happy to explain why I have issues with it if you ask.

Riiight, mmm, but again, you posed the apparently preferred scenario in which "traditional British ways of yesteryear" are no longer adhered to...No you're stating you have zero bias against the importance of British culture in Canada. I guess there's a sliver of equivocal real estate that allows those two concepts to co-exist, but I'm pressed to comprehend why they would need to if A) The Government of Canada is preferable; and B) You have no apparent bias towards the importance of British culture in Canada.

And if you're problem is with British colonialism then you're in luck, because Canada isn't a British colony. And that's in no small part to the other European elements of the Canadian identity (i.e. Scots, French, Dutch,German, Italian...). And that doesn't dismiss the Native influence...It merely identifies the paradox your narrative contains.

And in case I didn't mention it...My family is predominantly Scottish. Scottish and Catholic. If you ever want to compare tales of "British" colonization, it's best to buckle up if your discussion partner is Scots or Irish and Catholic. Before everywhere else got a taste, those two maligned peoples lived a millennia under the actual occupation of or the threat of colonialism...It's why so many came to this great land called Canada and shaped it into a place where it's identity rejects tyranny in all forms. And remember they did it as a result of colonialism...English isn't Scottish peoples' first language you know. Nova Scotia's history should be an eye-opener for you as well.

And by the way...Cherry's people are Scots and Irish, so...Mind the gap.

But who is equivocating cultures? And what cultures might I ask I being equaled to that of Canada? And why is it a problem?

You did. Do you not know what equivocating cultures means in your initial application? Sincerely? It means you foisted your definition of what I mean by Canadian culture as being exclusionary of rather than inclusionary of various other influences that aren't English. I simply didn't say what you characterized me saying. So I corrected your error.

And it looks like I'm doing it again. And by cultures I mean to compare the country of Canada with say Pakistan or Saudi Arabia or North Korea...They are not equally valuable and valid cultures. They have a right to exist, they have the right to a modicum of respect, but it is subjective insanity to assert that the culture and society borne by those countries are as valuable and as appropriately celebrated in their value either domestically or internationally as that of Canada.

And why is that a problem? Well...Pick your horse, friend...You either employ rational means of synthesis and analysis and employ like standards in your assessment and conclude on the basis of objectivity or you descend into post-modernist perpetual relativity and come out confidently stating that female genital mutilation is a preferred practice over not restraining young girls to involuntary accept needless, unscientific and completely definitive assault as something culturally interchangeable.

Honouring soldiers doesn't make one racist. You are of the assumption that because he holds a certain political view that I assume he's racist. No, judging from his comments and from his SILENCE, I can see why people call him racist. Do I think Don Cherry is a racist...no. But do I think Don Cherry is a traditionalist who would rather see Canada remain the way it was before Trudeau's immigration changes. Yes.

No....I regard your opinion of him as being entirely informed by the zeitgeist that rewards crowd participation in compelling thought of a certain kind while vilifying those who don't comply as being "racist", whether in deed or in "vibe". It's readily identifiable in the absence of valid premises and the dependability of your contradictory statements. That's why certain people can maintain certainty without the verifiable evidence to justify the position. It relies on preferred feelings, repetitive messaging and a false sense of justified collective social victimization.

You've spent the entirety of your participation stoking the flames of accusation and then - as the above highlighted reads - deny the claim against absence of evidence, except in the instance of..."vibes" and his irresponsibility in addressing the emission of those "vibes".

And when that fails, there's always another necessary sign of racism to fall back on. In this instance, Cherry as a "traditionalist" who would rather see Canada remain the way it was before Trudeau's immigration changes.

Again...You simply don't know what you don't know...Italians received a lot of hardship in their first waves of immigration. And I know this because my mother's father is/was Italian. You know who also married an Italian? Don Cherry...So...What you mean by "Traditionalist" and what he understands by words of integrity and loyalty shouldn't conflate, and yet they do. Not because of his worldview, friend, but because your narrative has no room for another other than the one that provides social reinforcement currently rewarded online and in virtually every media outlet on the planet outside of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Iran.

The real question here isn't about Don Cherry's willingness to adapt in a country that's defined by welcoming, adaptive men like Don Cherry or my Great-Grandfather, it's whether or not the critics - like you - are willing to hold a mirror to their faces and likewise answer under same conditions and under same standards the necessary question of reciprocity in a global village amongst "global citizens".

My money is on a less than eager defence for Canada's openness and Canada's traditionalism being shared outside Western democracies.

My issue is the vibe Don Cherry gives off and his silence to rid himself of that vibe, which speaks volumes. If you're okay with people calling your a racist, well what other conclusion should I come too?

One that doesn't rely on feelings and attempts to interpret facts and arrive at reasonable conclusions rather than deform facts into an impossible, preferred conclusion?

Who empowered the accuser with power to simply speak definitions into existence without reasonable recourse to criticism and debate?

So...On the face of actual charges, by your own admission, you don't find Cherry racist and yet. your issue is his unaddressed, silently-supportive(?) unprovable "racist-vibe"? It seems you do deem Cherry racist but can't find the consistency in your own thoughts to move from "borderline racist" to "vibe-racist" to "verifiable racist". It's a shell game until the facts fit your conclusion.

That's confirmation bias, friend.

Reactions: Burkies Dip

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
Unfortunately, this whole thing about national anthems, flags and protests has become a massive distraction from the issue that athletes like Colin Kaepernick were trying to raise. The dialog, such as it is, has become all about symbols - flags, soldiers, anthems, respect, nationalism etc., and far too many people are making political mileage with the symbols while denying the real issue.

The problem for black people in America is that in so many cases, the police who are there to protect and serve them, see and treat them as a threat and as adversaries. The causes are many and complex - crime rates, disparities in education, healthcare and opportunities, inadequate or ill concieved police training, the militarization of police weapons and tactics, gerrymandering that denies minorities representative government, etc. Strangely, while crime rates have been dropping for decades, the fear of crime is on the increase (and this is true in Canada as well). However any way you slice it, the effect is that a white person is presumed to have the right to walk or drive down any public street in America without fear of harrassment from the police. A black man knows that he can be stopped, harrassed, arrested, beaten or even shot by the police for being in the "wrong" public place. Thanks to "stand your ground" statues, a white man in Florida can even shoot and kill a young, unarmed black man because he feared a potential threat. There is no liberty and justice for all.

The point Colin Kaepernick was trying to make, was that util the land of the free and the home of the brave included black people, he was going to take a knee during the national anthem. Unfortunately, the message has been lost in all the posturing and pontificating. As a fat, old, wealthy, white man, Don Cherry should just S.T.F.U.

Thomas Sowell disagrees with everything you've said.

I disagree with everything you've said.

Statistics disagree with everything you've said.

And being old isn't grounds for invective, that's agism.

Being fat isn't ground for invective, that's a form of shaming that ignores various diseases and conditions to which the person cannot control their weight.

And being wealthy isn't grounds for your insults either...Not when Colin Kaepernick is far wealthier, now isn't that right?

And well...Being a man is kind of like the above, isn't it?

So...;)

Always a pleasure to read such reassuring uplifting content.

Reactions: Burkies Dip

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville

If America is so horribly oppressive to minorities, than why are thousands of non-white undocumented and documented immigrants trying to get into this so called racist country every year? They can't wait to be oppressed?

Guess you and all the other spoiled dumbo millionaire athletes who kneel are WRONG.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
The inconvenient reality relating to Cherry is that those who claim to be defending the "offended" and "victimized", are a lot more offended than the people they claim to be defending.

Outside of niche circles (journalists, academia, social justice activists) people understand Don for what he is and like him.

Reactions: ITM

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Writing long paragraphs of irrelevant nonsense neither intimidates me nor does it make your point any stronger...if anything, you seem quite triggered.

"Basically" isn't your universal relativists' charge card security code. "Basically" doesn't dismiss the cultural cache my family's experience informs me of in an exchange where being Canadian is concerned in a country largely defined by "Ontario with a side order of French". Do you know what it entails for a family like mine who has roots here and in Europe and a presence in both English and French Canada? And the East Coast once upon a time? And again, an assumption, "So your view of Canada is predominantly that of an English Ontarian." An English-speaking man born in Toronto, yep. But I don't know what the predominant view of English-speaking Ontarians is...And neither do you. You have a supposition, but you don't have an experiential, informed opinion. There's a vast difference of experience amongst English-speaking Ontarians. A Scottish family from Windsor might have an entirely different apprehension than an actual English family from North York. What you're attempting to normalize is your conception of English-speaking (And I presume you mean, "White Ontarians"?) Canadian views which are as varied as individuals may be and the political expression necessarily therein.

I really don't understand what any of this has to do with the argument I'm making. You are of European descent and descendants of the original settlers in Canada. What's the problem? And regardless of what background "White Ontarians" (your words not mine) are (Scottish, Irish or English), they all generally hold the same views from an Ontarian point of view or what I call English Canada. This is an irrelevant point to be harping on about.

As to your secondary caricature re: French Canadians viewing Don Cherry as a personification of English Canada...I'm not sure if you caught the not-so subtle implication from a comment I provided prior to this one, but it conveyed the opposite of what you're saying by personal familial experience, not to mention friendships that remain in Quebec to this day...You're obviously parroting the most available, opportunistic script that poses as ethical intention but is bereft of real meaning. And it's patently false to describe his demeanour as "looking down upon Cretans who are not of 'his kind'." How on Earth would the CBC survive that type of obvious prejudice?

Yes, many French Canadians do view Don Cherry as a personification of English Canada...in particular Quebec separatists. Furthermore, CBC is heavily being criticized for keeping Don Cherry employed. The sheer fact he's on a 10 seconds delay proves my point about how much pressure they're under to get rid of him. Blame refugees right?

That where no material racism exists (i.e. "what's troubling is that he doesn't try and remove himself from that label or vibe...") and that your lack of training in critical thinking is demonstrating a preference absent evidence. You're willing to vilify an elderly man with no personal experience, with no verifiable racism that adheres to any rational definition who just happens to work for a Crown Corporation and you're only target of precise accusation lays within the realm of..."vibe" and that said symbol of disunity is culpable because he doesn't address the deficiencies in the "vibe" he gives out and ignores the apparent "label" he's (un?)aware of...Did I get that right? Your efforts are real, your reasons are phantasmagorical. You simply have no valid premises from which to draw your preferred conclusions.

Don't be daft. Don Cherry wants to remain part of Coaches Corner...he's not stupid to say things out loud and risk getting canned. And preferred conclusions? It's called logic.

People view you as X
You are not X

The logical conclusion would be to either say you are not X or try and disassociate yourself with X. When you choose not to, then people will logically ask why and make conclusions based off that. Sorry, human nature isn't easy to understand and this isn't rocket science.

I wish you would remember the brief history I provided you with and cease attempting to tell me what Canadian culture, coast to coast to coast is. As for your rabbit hole, no thanks. I'm here for the hockey and the brief vanity tangents that one must address here from time to time. If you wish a tete a tete apropos of geopolitics, message me privately for a venue of your choosing that wouldn't mimic your work in this thread. So I take it you couldn't sense prejudice and tolerance from the anecdote of my Great-Grandfather, an early Canadian, n'est ce pas? I'm missing the necessity of your questions. You seem to need a perspective in me and in those who defend Don Cherry as being opposite to one that fights for rather than against all people of good will who either live or come to Canada to live.

The brief history you provided me with has absolutely nothing to do with the debate on hand. It's like watching an anime and having to watch the fillers. Get to the point of what you're trying to say. Through this entire speech you've written, a few points do stick out...and maybe that's the purpose of writing such long nonsense, in that your true intentions and true views will be masked and hidden.

The problem is yours, sir, not mine, not my family's and not in the overwhelming majority of Canadians who are loyal to Canada.

If being loyal to Canada is aligning with views of you and Don Cherry, then I'll happily say I'm not. Thankfully the majority of Canadians DON'T align with your views.

And will less people adhering to the foundational culture of this said culture that has provided a haven for all peoples of the world to live in harmony and peace? You mean like our model of government you just called good and our Charter and our Constitution which similarly rely on British/European political culture? Well you tell me...If we adopt Pakistani models of diplomacy and democracy are we going to be better off or worse?

Ridiculous nonsense. Please explain where Japan's good governance came from? Or South Korea's? The "European/British" political culture came about not because you are BETTER than others, but because of the sheer luck that Europe was colonizing the world at a time when many European nations were abandoning the monarchy for democracy. Europe was at relative peace during that time while much of Asia and Africa were literally getting raped. Get off your high horse. And what does the Pakistani model of diplomacy or democracy have to do with this? That's a country that only has only seen true democracy since 1947...around 70 years now? Nation building isn't done in one day. Furthermore, it was occupied by the British from 1842 to 1947, who (when the British realized they couldn't rape and pillage the locals) decided to leave...and that too only because of the after effects of World War 2. Have you ever had a tenet who never paid rent, yet wanted all the amenities for themselves and when it was time to leave, made your life a miserable hell? That's the British leaving each and every one of its colonies in Africa and Asia in the late 19th and early 20th century. They didn't just leave...they screwed everything up before leaving in such a way that those "independent" countries would be reliant on Britain for generations to come.

You see, it's plainly revisionist to deny the origins and identity of the founding cultures in the civilization so plainly deferential to them. You're playing the neo-marxist's new game...Haves and Have-Nots didn't work, so the Oppressors and the Oppressed is the next best thing. It appeals to the intellectually regressive and it will spawn intellectual regression...And it's best typified in efforts to compel speech and then eventually, compel thought i.e. compel "vibes". Again...The word of the day is: Phantasmagorical. These "vibes" you charge Cherry with beg all sorts of questions about sobriety and internet usage. Feelings betray people all the time. The will is concerned with social engineering in a manner that assumes puerile behaviour is temporary and with maturity sees the good in the person while it tolerates the bad or impolitic. What you repeat as a "racist vibe" isn't racist, it's gruff, it's impolitic, it's inconsiderate and impatient, but...Culturally speaking, and maybe that's the problem, that you have no reference for it...Culturally speaking, Cherry's demeanour is typical for his generation. There were Jamaicans and Italians and Filopinos in my neighbourhood that were equally gruff and impolite and impatient amongst men and women...No one I knew took offence to pride in one's country or inferred being short-tempered as a short-hand for racism. You go from accusing him according to "vibe" to confessing that you "know" that Cherry "knows" that in a hypothetical situation in which he knew he was giving off a "racist vibe" that he would attempt to rid himself of said "racist vibe"...That makes absolutely zero sense.

You said "Cherry's demeanour is typical for his generation"...really? Well slavery was typical for a generation of Americans back in the day, does that make it right? Just because something was a norm back in the day, does not equate to it being correct. And I have no clue what neighbourhood you grew up in, but I'd hate to live in there.

Right...Well Tie Domi's first name is actually spelled, T-A-H-I-R. So...If there's another less inconvenient example to your preferred narrative, next reply's the time to address the inconsistency commensurate with your repeated charge.

And...your point is what exactly?

Riiight, mmm, but again, you posed the apparently preferred scenario in which "traditional British ways of yesteryear" are no longer adhered to...No you're stating you have zero bias against the importance of British culture in Canada. I guess there's a sliver of equivocal real estate that allows those two concepts to co-exist, but I'm pressed to comprehend why they would need to if A) The Government of Canada is preferable; and B) You have no apparent bias towards the importance of British culture in Canada.

So then stop letting people into your country who are not familiar with British ways. Simple. If it's that important to you, stop immigrants who don't look like you. See how long Canada remains competitive in the global economy with a dwindling population growth rate and a shrinking workforce. See how long you last.

And if you're problem is with British colonialism then you're in luck, because Canada isn't a British colony. And that's in no small part to the other European elements of the Canadian identity (i.e. Scots, French, Dutch,German, Italian...). And that doesn't dismiss the Native influence...It merely identifies the paradox your narrative contains.

Ask the First Nations what Canada is. Hilarious.

And in case I didn't mention it...My family is predominantly Scottish. Scottish and Catholic. If you ever want to compare tales of "British" colonization, it's best to buckle up if your discussion partner is Scots or Irish and Catholic. Before everywhere else got a taste, those two maligned peoples lived a millennia under the actual occupation of or the threat of colonialism...It's why so many came to this great land called Canada and shaped it into a place where it's identity rejects tyranny in all forms. And remember they did it as a result of colonialism...English isn't Scottish peoples' first language you know. Nova Scotia's history should be an eye-opener for you as well. And by the way...Cherry's people are Scots and Irish, so...Mind the gap.

Like I said earlier, the Scots, Irish and English might have issues back in Europe, but in Canada they are largely nowadays on a similar page, especially when it comes to Canada's current immigration policy and the changing faces of Canada.

You did. Do you not know what equivocating cultures means in your initial application? Sincerely? It means you foisted your definition of what I mean by Canadian culture as being exclusionary of rather than inclusionary of various other influences that aren't English. I simply didn't say what you characterized me saying. So I corrected your error. And it looks like I'm doing it again. And by cultures I mean to compare the country of Canada with say Pakistan or Saudi Arabia or North Korea...They are not equally valuable and valid cultures. They have a right to exist, they have the right to a modicum of respect, but it is subjective insanity to assert that the culture and society borne by those countries are as valuable and as appropriately celebrated in their value either domestically or internationally as that of Canada.

Maybe if the west stopped screwing around in that part of the world, you'd see the true cultures of those countries and maybe they could make a valuable contribution to the world.

Who asked the United States to invade Korea?
Who asked the British general "Lawrence of Arabia" to align with racist Wahabi Arab psychopaths to remove the Ottomans from the Middle East (thus creating Saudi Arabia)?
Who asked the British to sail in boats and occupy a piece of territory that never belonged to them, only to have that land raped and pillaged for every 150 years?

And why is that a problem? Well...Pick your horse, friend...You either employ rational means of synthesis and analysis and employ like standards in your assessment and conclude on the basis of objectivity or you descend into post-modernist perpetual relativity and come out confidently stating that female genital mutilation is a preferred practice over not restraining young girls to involuntary accept needless, unscientific and completely definitive assault as something culturally interchangeable.

What is this triggering response in relation too? I have no idea what you're yapping about here.

No....I regard your opinion of him as being entirely informed by the zeitgeist that rewards crowd participation in compelling thought of a certain kind while vilifying those who don't comply as being "racist", whether in deed or in "vibe". It's readily identifiable in the absence of valid premises and the dependability of your contradictory statements. That's why certain people can maintain certainty without the verifiable evidence to justify the position. It relies on preferred feelings, repetitive messaging and a false sense of justified collective social victimization. You've spent the entirety of your participation stoking the flames of accusation and then - as the above highlighted reads - deny the claim against absence of evidence, except in the instance of..."vibes" and his irresponsibility in addressing the emission of those "vibes". And when that fails, there's always another necessary sign of racism to fall back on. In this instance, Cherry as a "traditionalist" who would rather see Canada remain the way it was before Trudeau's immigration changes.

Why shouldn't people call that racist? It's pretty much racist when people from Italy are welcomed in (because they look like you) but people from say Sri Lanka are not because they don't. What else should I call that? If you don't like people who don't look like you, then stop inviting them to your country. You have this perception that people are begging to get into Canada...I think you should go see many developing countries where Canada literally advertises itself to come.

Again...You simply don't know what you don't know...Italians received a lot of hardship in their first waves of immigration. And I know this because my mother's father is/was Italian. You know who also married an Italian? Don Cherry...So...What you mean by "Traditionalist" and what he understands by words of integrity and loyalty shouldn't conflate, and yet they do. Not because of his worldview, friend, but because your narrative has no room for another other than the one that provides social reinforcement currently rewarded online and in virtually every media outlet on the planet outside of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Iran.

Mere assumptions...comical since you had a temper tantrum in your last post about me making assumptions about you.

The real question here isn't about Don Cherry's willingness to adapt in a country that's defined by welcoming, adaptive men like Don Cherry or my Great-Grandfather, it's whether or not the critics - like you - are willing to hold a mirror to their faces and likewise answer under same conditions and under same standards the necessary question of reciprocity in a global village amongst "global citizens". My money is on a less than eager defence for Canada's openness and Canada's traditionalism being shared outside Western democracies. One that doesn't rely on feelings and attempts to interpret facts and arrive at reasonable conclusions rather than deform facts into an impossible, preferred conclusion? Who empowered the accuser with power to simply speak definitions into existence without reasonable recourse to criticism and debate?

LOL openness. Really, is that why you think Canada has such an aggressive immigration policy? Jesus Christ, I mean really who do you folks even think you are? Canada's invites immigrants not because they feel pity for the world...It's called economics. Canada's current population growth rate cannot allow Canada to remain competitive in the global market. Trudeau saw this early and acted on it.

You have two simple choices:
#1. Sacrifice your good life and competitive economy for your "traditional good old ways"
#2. Welcome in people who don't look like you into the workforce so Canada remains economically competitive.

Choice is yours...you can't have both...unless you start popping out more babies...and a lot of them mind you.

So...On the face of actual charges, by your own admission, you don't find Cherry racist and yet. your issue is his unaddressed, silently-supportive(?) unprovable "racist-vibe"? It seems you do deem Cherry racist but can't find the consistency in your own thoughts to move from "borderline racist" to "vibe-racist" to "verifiable racist". It's a shell game until the facts fit your conclusion. That's confirmation bias, friend.

No, it's just you're too triggered to understand what I'm trying to tell you. It's 2017...Canada has changed. Deal with it. If you don't like the direction Canada is going, feel free to vote for the Conservative party in the next election. And funny enough, when they were in power, they did nothing to stop immigrants from coming to Canada either. I wonder why? The general conclusion I got from this diatribe of yours is basically in these summed up points:

a. Immigrants are fine and their hardships should be met with empathy...only as long as they look like us.
b. Canada's "openness" in indicative of Canada feeling pity for the world and wanting to save people in distress.
c. Disagreeing with Don Cherry and rejecting old British values is a sign of disloyalty to Canada.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
If America is so horribly oppressive to minorities, than why are thousands of non-white undocumented and documented immigrants trying to get into this so called racist country every year? They can't wait to be oppressed?

Guess you and all the other spoiled dumbo millionaire athletes who kneel are WRONG.

To earn a living...economic migrants.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
The inconvenient reality relating to Cherry is that those who claim to be defending the "offended" and "victimized", are a lot more offended than the people they claim to be defending.
Outside of niche circles (journalists, academia, social justice activists) people understand Don for what he is and like him.

This was the case 10 years ago...unfortunately, Don Cherry is beginning to show his true nature. This is from one person who actually defended and liked him. Not anymore.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
Writing long paragraphs of irrelevant nonsense neither intimidates me nor does it make your point any stronger...if anything, you seem quite triggered.

Of course I do. Any disagreement with you and your tribe imposes collectively accepted agenda-driven descriptors to those who don't speak in sweeping affirmative tones of your preferred narrative. Rememeber your word for the day? Phantasmagorical. I take it you haven't looked it up yet.

I really don't understand what any of this has to do with the argument I'm making. You are of European descent and descendants of the original settlers in Canada. What's the problem? And regardless of what background "White Ontarians" (your words not mine) are (Scottish, Irish or English), they all generally hold the same views from an Ontarian point of view or what I call English Canada. This is an irrelevant point to be harping on about.

Precisely, it's your subjective preference independent the same standards you demand for those that aren't male, Caucasian and Canadian under your rubic "English Canada" embodied in your preferred totem of enmity, Don Cherry.

Yes, many French Canadians do view Don Cherry as a personification of English Canada...in particular Quebec separatists. Furthermore, CBC is heavily being criticized for keeping Don Cherry employed. The sheer fact he's on a 10 seconds delay proves my point about how much pressure they're under to get rid of him. Blame refugees right?

I guess if I refute your point you won't have that sense of martyr's empowerment, right?

The paragraphs of "nonsense" include a family history that is linked with Quebec and Francophone Ontario. I realize that what matters most to you is the theoretical opportunism present only in the leftist, new-marxist clap-trap that empowers your preferred narrative...But you instructing me about my experience is like me instructing you about your parents experience...It's baseless. As is your repeated message that French-Candians view Don Cherry as the personification of English Canada.

It's simply fiction.

Don't be daft. Don Cherry wants to remain part of Coaches Corner...he's not stupid to say things out loud and risk getting canned. And preferred conclusions? It's called logic.

People view you as X
You are not X

The logical conclusion would be to either say you are not X or try and disassociate yourself with X. When you choose not to, then people will logically ask why and make conclusions based off that. Sorry, human nature isn't easy to understand and this isn't rocket science.

That's not how a syllogism works, lol. It's how fascism might provide a logical model, but it's not an actual valid argument.

FIrstly, it wouldn't start with a subjective premise i.e. "People view you", LMAO. The proposition has to be true. It has to be coherent. It can't be your irrational, illogical, alt-left preferred definitional terminology that increases in meaning commensurate with the number of likes your posts get, lol.

Secondly, the second proposition has to be true because the conclusion must logically follow from valid premises. "You are not X" is a potentially valid assertion, but it can't be considered logically tenable since your first assertion isn't.

Aaannd...Stating on one hand that human nature isn't easy to understand and this isn't rocket science makes no coherent sense. "This isn't rocket science" implies ease, simplicity of the given informational relay, it's not synonymous with complexity in any euphemistic application. It's also an incoherent statement when you repeatedly argue that you know Don Cherry's "vibes" and yet...also state that human nature isn't easy to understand?

Seriously...The stupid hurts.

The brief history you provided me with has absolutely nothing to do with the debate on hand. It's like watching an anime and having to watch the fillers. Get to the point of what you're trying to say. Through this entire speech you've written, a few points do stick out...and maybe that's the purpose of writing such long nonsense, in that your true intentions and true views will be masked and hidden.

Gotcha...But you didn't specify now did you?

Specificity and fact are never convenient to feeling driven narratives.

My apologies for not providing an encyclopedic explanation on your thesis of Don Cherry's "vibes" in a 140 characters or less.

If being loyal to Canada is aligning with views of you and Don Cherry, then I'll happily say I'm not. Thankfully the majority of Canadians DON'T align with your views.

Sure, sure...And what views do I have again? Please....Quote me.

Ridiculous nonsense. Please explain where Japan's good governance came from? Or South Korea's? The "European/British" political culture came about not because you are BETTER than others, but because of the sheer luck that Europe was colonizing the world at a time when many European nations were abandoning the monarchy for democracy.

Japan and South Korea's good governance arose from a number of factors. Culturally, from within. Governmentally, from the West.

As for European/British governmental models...I didn't say they came about as a result of being "better", that's your incoherent, illogical, prejudicial filter working on alt-left overdrive again (I know, I know...I must be "triggered", lol...to disagree with you on this issue.). It is better because comparatively it has produced better societies compared to others. If it didn't, it wouldn't in some way shape or form have been adopted by other countries in the world that weren't democratic.

The very word, the very concept of democracy is European...That's non-negotiable and no amount of square=pegging into round holes will revise that reality.

But you're right...It's been "sheer luck". Centuries of "sheer luck"...What an absolutely science-fiction fed apprehension of history do you have, sir.

Europe was at relative peace during that time while much of Asia and Africa were literally getting raped. Get off your high horse. And what does the Pakistani model of diplomacy or democracy have to do with this? That's a country that only has only seen true democracy since 1947...around 70 years now?

The Pakistani, terror-sponsoring model of "democracy" is incompatible with any number of truly democratic features. "Terroristan" wasn't it recently labled by India's PM?

That your sympathizing with it while declining Canada's definition of democracy and those loyal to it, is...concerning to say the least.

You said "Cherry's demeanour is typical for his generation"...really? Well slavery was typical for a generation of Americans back in the day, does that make it right? Just because something was a norm back in the day, does not equate to it being correct. And I have no clue what neighbourhood you grew up in, but I'd hate to live in there.

"Back in the day"...You mean the mid 1800s?

I mean...Why specific when untenable generalizations will do, right?

Cherry's generation didn't endorse slavery and to conflate the two as though they're one and the same, reveal the roots of the depravity your narrative requires in order to call truth a lie and the lie a truth.

Shame on you.

And shame on you for impugning the multi-cultural neighbourhood I grew up in...Thus the point of the kind of Canada men like Don Cherry support. Shame on you, sir.

So then stop letting people into your country who are not familiar with British ways. Simple. If it's that important to you, stop immigrants who don't look like you. See how long Canada remains competitive in the global economy with a dwindling population growth rate and a shrinking workforce. See how long you last.

What does this have to do with anything?

How imbecilic can you be not to want to support the model of government and culture that provides safe harbour and economic opportunity. Quote me once where I imply or state explicitly that I understand or Don Cherry understands Canada to be a white monolith and thus should remain so?

QUOTE ME.

Why shouldn't people call that racist? It's pretty much racist when people from Italy are welcomed in (because they look like you) but people from say Sri Lanka are not because they don't. What else should I call that? If you don't like people who don't look like you, then stop inviting them to your country. You have this perception that people are begging to get into Canada...I think you should go see many developing countries where Canada literally advertises itself to come.

GO BACK AND ACTUALLY READ THE COMMENT.

MY PRECISE POINT ABOUT MY GRANDFATHER'S EXPERIENCE IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF YOUR REPRESENTATION.

IF YOU CAN'T READ, IF YOU CAN'T HAVE AN HONEST EXCHANGE, THEN READ, STUDY, LEARN WHAT LOGIC ACTUALLY ENTAILS AND CEASE PROVIDING YOUR FEELINGS AS THOUGH THEY WERE FACTS.

Mere assumptions...comical since you had a temper tantrum in your last post about me making assumptions about you.

QUOTE ME...DONT KEEP REPEATING GENERALIZATIONS WITHOUT AN ACTUAL QUOTE. QUOTE ME AND DEAL WITH IT DIRECTLY.

LOL openness. Really, is that why you think Canada has such an aggressive immigration policy? Jesus Christ, I mean really who do you folks even think you are? Canada's invites immigrants not because they feel pity for the world...It's called economics. Canada's current population growth rate cannot allow Canada to remain competitive in the global market. Trudeau saw this early and acted on it.

You have two simple choices:
#1. Sacrifice your good life and competitive economy for your "traditional good old ways"
#2. Welcome in people who don't look like you into the workforce so Canada remains economically competitive.

Choice is yours...you can't have both...unless you start popping out more babies...and a lot of them mind you.

The choice is mine? Are you drunk? How does my personal decision-making affect the material outcome of Canada's GDP in any instrumental way apart from my small part in the grand scheme of things?

And again, quote me, where I oppose immigration to Canada?

I think what's happening here - apart from your insistence that your view is correct and must be applauded - by me noting support for Canada, the Canada that has been fought for, supported by a certain group of people, it's the association of identity that bothers...people like you. You don't have an identity attached to it, so you want to make sure, no one else has it.

Demography is identity.

It's why you can empathize with a known shit-hole, terrorist sponsoring tit of a nation like Pakistan, see it's virtue and in the same breath, decry Canada.

Seems to me the change you need to happen for you to "feel welcome" is for the deformation of Canada wholesale.

I'm not sure why any Canadian would or could ever agree with your stated preferences.

No, it's just you're too triggered to understand what I'm trying to tell you. It's 2017...Canada has changed. Deal with it. If you don't like the direction Canada is going, feel free to vote for the Conservative party in the next election. And funny enough, when they were in power, they did nothing to stop immigrants from coming to Canada either. I wonder why? The general conclusion I got from this diatribe of yours is basically in these summed up points:

a. Immigrants are fine and their hardships should be met with empathy...only as long as they look like us.
b. Canada's "openness" in indicative of Canada feeling pity for the world and wanting to save people in distress.
c. Disagreeing with Don Cherry and rejecting old British values is a sign of disloyalty to Canada.

Oh they were there before we ever spoke friend.

It's called - one more time - confirmation bias.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Of course I do. Any disagreement with you and your tribe imposes collectively accepted agenda-driven descriptors to those who don't speak in sweeping affirmative tones of your preferred narrative. Rememeber your word for the day? Phantasmagorical. I take it you haven't looked it up yet.

You know it's almost like you're overly excited about meeting somebody who has a view that you've been brainwashed to absolutely despise and are just itching to get their hands on them. I find it absolutely entertaining.

Precisely, it's your subjective preference independent the same standards you demand for those that aren't male, Caucasian and Canadian under your rubic "English Canada" embodied in your preferred totem of enmity, Don Cherry.

Hopeless. Might as well agree to disagree. To me English Canada is what I believe it to be. You can believe whatever helps you sleep better at night.

I guess if I refute your point you won't have that sense of martyr's empowerment, right?

Refuting a point usually involves actually MAKING a point. You go off tangent most of the time and write paragraphs of nonsense which literally have nothing to do with the debate on hand. Clever tactic, but it doesn't work on me.

The paragraphs of "nonsense" include a family history that is linked with Quebec and Francophone Ontario. I realize that what matters most to you is the theoretical opportunism present only in the leftist, new-marxist clap-trap that empowers your preferred narrative...But you instructing me about my experience is like me instructing you about your parents experience...It's baseless.

What matters to me is actually debating the issue on hand and not having a temper tantrum because one person actually has the nerve to question your ludicrous mindset. Furthermore, personal anecdotes are pretty useless to bring up during an internet debate anyway.

As is your repeated message that French-Candians view Don Cherry as the personification of English Canada. It's simply fiction.

I'll keep repeating it...Don Cherry is a personification of English Canada to the French. Put up a poll on HF Boards and let's test this theory of mine. I'll even go ahead and request the moderators/admins to have this poll set up. Still confident Don Cherry isn't a personification of English Canada? We'll see about that.

That's not how a syllogism works, lol. It's how fascism might provide a logical model, but it's not an actual valid argument. FIrstly, it wouldn't start with a subjective premise i.e. "People view you", LMAO. The proposition has to be true. It has to be coherent. It can't be your irrational, illogical, alt-left preferred definitional terminology that increases in meaning commensurate with the number of likes your posts get, lol. Secondly, the second proposition has to be true because the conclusion must logically follow from valid premises. "You are not X" is a potentially valid assertion, but it can't be considered logically tenable since your first assertion isn't. Aaannd...Stating on one hand that human nature isn't easy to understand and this isn't rocket science makes no coherent sense. "This isn't rocket science" implies ease, simplicity of the given informational relay, it's not synonymous with complexity in any euphemistic application. It's also an incoherent statement when you repeatedly argue that you know Don Cherry's "vibes" and yet...also state that human nature isn't easy to understand? Seriously...The stupid hurts.

I wasn't give you a lecture on syllogism nor was I asking you to explain it to me.

What I was attempting to do is make a simple point about why people view Don Cherry the way they do. The claims of him being "racist" have become part of him whether he likes it or not. The logical thing to do with be to shed that racist label or vibe. He chooses not to. If he chooses not too, then what conclusion can we come too? Try and answer this question without having to write a thesis.

Gotcha...But you didn't specify now did you? Specificity and fact are never convenient to feeling driven narratives. My apologies for not providing an encyclopedic explanation on your thesis of Don Cherry's "vibes" in a 140 characters or less. Sure, sure...And what views do I have again? Please....Quote me. You align yourself with Don Cherry's narrow minded view of what Canada by vehemently defending him. Japan and South Korea's good governance arose from a number of factors. Culturally, from within. Governmentally, from the West.

The number 1 factor was culturally. Japan and Korea (and Asia in general) always was in fact. And please provide a source as to how "Governmentally from the west" good governance arose in South Korea and Japan. I surely hope nuking them/invading them isn't the answer.

As for European/British governmental models...I didn't say they came about as a result of being "better", that's your incoherent, illogical, prejudicial filter working on alt-left overdrive again (I know, I know...I must be "triggered", lol...to disagree with you on this issue.). It is better because comparatively it has produced better societies compared to others. If it didn't, it wouldn't in some way shape or form have been adopted by other countries in the world that weren't democratic.

Stop carpet bombing countries around the world...maybe then you'll see more "better societies" which aren't European.

The very word, the very concept of democracy is European...That's non-negotiable and no amount of square=pegging into round holes will revise that reality.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but that's actually wrong. Democracy (like most things Europe claims to have invented) is actually not a European concept at all...it was adopted from the east. Primitive or early democracy was present in pre-Babylonian Mesopotamia as mentioned in the Sumerian epic and historical records. Gilgamesh for example did not hold autocratic power that later Mesopotamian rulers wielded. Rather, major city-states functioned with councils of elders and "young men" (likely free men bearing arms) that possessed the final political authority, and had to be consulted on all major issues such as war. I'm well versed in Middle Eastern and South Asian history. What we know as democracy now was certainly cemented by the Romans and Greeks, but they didn't invent it. They simply took the idea and improved upon it. Funnily enough, when this was discovered, many scholars (of course European) criticized the use of the word "democracy".

But you're right...It's been "sheer luck". Centuries of "sheer luck"...What an absolutely science-fiction fed apprehension of history do you have, sir.

Europe got lucky...in the sense that by the 17th century, monarchies were losing popularity, religion was being shunned and a new wave of "enlightened moderation" was entering Europe. To Europeans, good governance was part of this enlightened moderation. Opposing the monarchy and supporting democracy was considered a rejection of the old ways...sound familiar?

The Pakistani, terror-sponsoring model of "democracy" is incompatible with any number of truly democratic features. "Terroristan" wasn't it recently labled by India's PM? That your sympathizing with it while declining Canada's definition of democracy and those loyal to it, is...concerning to say the least.

70,000 people and soldiers have died fighting the War on Terror in that country...who are you calling "terror sponsoring"? When they were fighting your silly wars against the Soviets in Afghanistan, why didn't you call it terrorism then? At that time they were "freedom fighters"? Why? Answer this by writing another thesis, I'd love to hear the justification.

And quoting the current Prime Minister of India (who can only be described as a moron) only makes you look like a buffoon considering...

#1. He orchestrated a massacre of Muslims in 2001 - https://www.theguardian.com/comment...endra-modi-massacre-next-prime-minister-india
#2. He was banned from entering the United States at one point - https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/nar...granted-us-visa-says-american-official-531846
#3. He promotes Hindu mythology as scientific fact...by claiming the elephant-trunked, pot-bellied Hindu god Ganesha got his head because of the presence of ancient Hindu plastic surgeons 10,000 years ago.

"Back in the day"...You mean the mid 1800s? I mean...Why specific when untenable generalizations will do, right? Cherry's generation didn't endorse slavery and to conflate the two as though they're one and the same, reveal the roots of the depravity your narrative requires in order to call truth a lie and the lie a truth. Shame on you. And shame on you for impugning the multi-cultural neighbourhood I grew up in...Thus the point of the kind of Canada men like Don Cherry support. Shame on you, sir.

Never said Don Cherry endorsed slavery. I was merely making a point (which you either didn't get or willingly chose to ignore) that if something was prevent in the past, it doesn't make it right or correct. Tin cans were prevalent in the early 20th century up to the 1960s...which were sealed by soldering with a tin-lead alloy. which could lead to lead poisoning. According to you, that's okay...because it was done in the past, so it must be right.

What does this have to do with anything? How imbecilic can you be not to want to support the model of government and culture that provides safe harbour and economic opportunity. Quote me once where I imply or state explicitly that I understand or Don Cherry understands Canada to be a white monolith and thus should remain so? QUOTE ME.

Drink a glass of cold water, log off and go sit in front of the window for a while. I promise you'll feel better. Now, where did I say I don't support this model of government? You seem to be getting angry over nothing. At this point, are you just arguing for the sake of arguing or do you have an underlying point you want to make?

GO BACK AND ACTUALLY READ THE COMMENT.
MY PRECISE POINT ABOUT MY GRANDFATHER'S EXPERIENCE IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF YOUR REPRESENTATION.
IF YOU CAN'T READ, IF YOU CAN'T HAVE AN HONEST EXCHANGE, THEN READ, STUDY, LEARN WHAT LOGIC ACTUALLY ENTAILS AND CEASE PROVIDING YOUR FEELINGS AS THOUGH THEY WERE FACTS.
QUOTE ME...DONT KEEP REPEATING GENERALIZATIONS WITHOUT AN ACTUAL QUOTE. QUOTE ME AND DEAL WITH IT DIRECTLY.

See above

The choice is mine? Are you drunk? How does my personal decision-making affect the material outcome of Canada's GDP in any instrumental way apart from my small part in the grand scheme of things? And again, quote me, where I oppose immigration to Canada?

Nope, not drunk. And when I said the choice is yours, I wasn't directly addressing you. Calm down, you're not that important. I was merely addressing your growing clan...the Soldiers of Odin if I'm not mistaken.

I think what's happening here - apart from your insistence that your view is correct and must be applauded - by me noting support for Canada, the Canada that has been fought for, supported by a certain group of people, it's the association of identity that bothers...people like you. You don't have an identity attached to it, so you want to make sure, no one else has it. Demography is identity.

You see that's where you're wrong...here's why. You're not supporting Canada. You think you're supporting Canada, but what you're actually supporting is the old colonialist English Canada. Times have changed...if you don't want it to change, stop inviting people to your country.

It's why you can empathize with a known ****-hole, terrorist sponsoring tit of a nation like Pakistan, see it's virtue and in the same breath, decry Canada.

For starters it's not a terrorist sponsoring nation. It has the 2nd largest refugee population in the world and has lost over 70,000 soldiers and civilians to terrorist attacks due to fighting the War on Terror. And to be honest, after reading your diatribe, all I can say is this > I AM PROUD TO BE PAKISTANI. I have never felt so Pakistani in my life...but with you Alt Right clowns and closet racists all around, I've slowly started realizing something.

I can talk like you, I can dress like you, I can behave like you....but you'll never consider me one of your own no matter what I do. I have to assimilate to what you consider is "Canadian" for me to be accepted. Sorry, ain't happening. I'm proud of who I am and nobody is taking that away from me. If it entails having to have me deported, I'll happily sign my deportation papers right now here.

And while we're at it, sing along with me...

Pak sarzamin shad bad
Kishwar-i hasin shad bad
Tu nishan-i ʿazm-i ʿali shan
Arz-i Pakistan!
Markaz-i yaqin shad bad

Seems to me the change you need to happen for you to "feel welcome" is for the deformation of Canada wholesale. I'm not sure why any Canadian would or could ever agree with your stated preferences. Oh they were there before we ever spoke friend. It's called - one more time - confirmation bias.

Wrong.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
This was the case 10 years ago...unfortunately, Don Cherry is beginning to show his true nature. This is from one person who actually defended and liked him. Not anymore.

he is 80+ years old and hes exactly the same as he has always been, the only difference is the audience is pansified and takes everything to the millionth level of offendedness. He states his opinion, its what good media guys do and its dying. Opinions don't have to be right or wrong, you just have to stand by them.

he has always been Pro Canada, Pro Military, Pro Law Enforcment, Pro not being a pansy

Don Cherry : this coffee is gross eh
New Audience: see hes racist he hates Columbia and the hard working people who make the coffee bean business happen, he also hates trendy hipsters and judges them by the drink of their choice, he anti choice.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Wow. Accidentally tripped onto this thread to see what was up with Hockey Night in Canada and instead got a political conversation.

I guess it is popular to trumpet 'diversity' as long as we aren't talking about diverse opinions.

The guy has been a bit of an anachronism for decades - but it doesn't make his opinions or tastes less valid than anyone else's.

I can only speak for myself - but I don't find it really difficult to separate an entertainer from his (apparent) politics - unless he is actively waving them in my face trying to get me to change my own.

Just enjoy the entertainment, learn a bit about hockey, leave your rants at home for people who are looking for a fight.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
People actually still watch this crap? Hasn't been decent since the 90s. Turn off the history channel, folks.

byrone12

Aug 2, 2005
...crosses this line with is criticim of Russians, Swedes, "Euros" and "Frenchies", by which he means Quebec players.....He basically created the "chicken Swede" meme, the idea that only "Frenchies" and Swedes wear visors

Is there an actual documented occurrence where Cherry referred to Quebecers as “Frenchies”?

I think you are making that up

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Is there an actual documented occurrence where Cherry referred to Quebecers as “Frenchies”?

I think you are making that up

Having listened to him since about 1980 - I've heard it. He usually just says French guys - by which he means French Canadian or Quebecois, always pejoratively and with a not so subtle inference that they are not Canadian - i.e. when the COC picked Jean-Luc Brassard to carry the flag in Nagano he said "They picked some French guy, some ski guy that nobody knows ...". Or on visors "Most of the guys who wear them are Europeans and French guys".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad