Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2017/2018 Playoffs Edition

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
If someone doesn't like Don's views on hockey, so be it. But how can you not love him when he's so passionate about Canada's fallen hero's; be they Military, Law Enforcement, or Humanitarians? He is intensely loyal and appreciative of their bravery. A man's man. Not a lot like him left...

hqdefault.jpg

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
I used to like listening to Don Cherry, but now he drives me nuts. I fast forwarded through CC.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I do agree with cherry's point about black tape on the stick blades, it doesn't make sense.
I guess if black tape on the butt end of the goalie's stick can be confused with the puck on overhead replays, then players shouldn't have black tape on their stick blades either because they also often end up behind the goal line. It should be both or neither. That's what I got from what Cherry said and, yeah, there is some sense to it.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
LISTEN ALL YOU KIDS OUT THERE DON'T FORGET TOUGH GUY LOUIS DEBRUSK CRYING NO SHAME IN THAT, BEST SAUCER PASS JUST LIKE CORNOYER MUSTA WATCHED COACHES CORNER, THANKSGIVING BLESSUP LIKE DJ KHALED

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
Appeals to all the dinosaur, racist/bigoted hockey supporters.

I'm as European as they come and I love Grapes, as do most other Europeans. Nobody needs you people getting offended on their behalf. I can guarantee you most Russians appreciate a guy who speaks his mind as opposed to the neutered commentary that's so common in North American sports.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Don Cherry used to be great to listen to back in the day...even up until 2010-11 he was okay despite the criticism he was getting.
But I feel now he's making it a point to go after liberals/leftists...to the point where it's just becoming really annoying and cringy.

My guess...Don Cherry will be entering politics after Rogers boots him...using TV time to gather his conservative voters around.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Did anyone else pick up on him calling Dougie Hamilton "Hamrlik" the other night? LOL He said it three or four times before MacLean corrected him. I mostly just watch to see how badly he's going to butcher names.

Reactions: Amorgus

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Did anyone else pick up on him calling Dougie Hamilton "Hamrlik" the other night? LOL He said it three or four times before MacLean corrected him. I mostly just watch to see how badly he's going to butcher names.

No, but I did hear MacLean politely insert "It's Hamonic..." as a correction to "Hamirlik" which got Grapes to "Hamirnik"...However, God bless ya for believing in the Shanaplan, brother, but it appears whether Grapes said, "Hamirlik" or "Hamonic" your harmonics <tips hat to Coach's Corner> leave a little room for correction on their own, now don't they?

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Well said, Milan90
I'm as European as they come and I love Grapes, as do most other Europeans. Nobody needs you people getting offended on their behalf. I can guarantee you most Russians appreciate a guy who speaks his mind as opposed to the neutered commentary that's so common in North American sports.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Dinosaurs doesn't always refer to age, it can also be a state of mind.

Perhaps not being Canadian means I haven't bought in to all his BS, that;'s my opinion though, I know some like him I just can't see why.

I'm missing the logic when you conflate "not being Canadian" as being tantamount to an inoculation to Cherry's (alleged) BS.

I mean get that the present zeitgeist expects a sort of sweeping hatred of Western culture, but there should be some coherence to the basis of your opinion and as a Canadian of European immigrants I'm missing the pivot that connects being Canadian and being racist/bigoted as a norm. I don't discount that people have or express uninformed positions that are insensitive, but that doesn't make them racists or bigots. And that doesn't deny that there are racists and bigots any more than it denies human existence. But to make a sweeping generalization about him and those that support him is an example of invalid premises and invalid conclusions. It's simply a preferred position against contrary evidence.

But I can explain why I like him...It begins with his hockey knowledge. His errors stand out in the same way one insult amidst nine compliments stand out. He's right most of the time. Whether it's a play not picked up by officials, a trend on the verge of appearance, or predictions about players, team success, etc...Cherry's right more than he's wrong and he's right more than any of the HNIC personalities have been right...But Friedman's certainly making a name for himself.

I love the man's love of Canada. People living in Canada don't like Canada? Get lost. Move. Go. Now. Forever. I don't get this equivocation of cultures. They're not equal. Canada's is better than most. And there's nothing worse than hearing people from "back home" talk about the way something was "back home" and reduce Canada in the process when it's Canada and Canadians (wherever one may be from originally) providing the safety and means to be able to say "back home" because "back home" couldn't do the same. And that's directly tied to his family's love of the country that took them (From Scotland and Ireland) in which they in turn fought for Canada out of appropriate cultural gratitude. And that living martial memory is another thing I love about Cherry. For some people, the military is a way up and out. And the cost for that life is their lives not unlike the services: Police - Fire - Rescue. And he, Don Cherry honours them and theirs likely more - by himself - than the efforts of all major North American sportscasters...combined?

Then there's his charity work. And his tireless promotion of grassroots hockey and...His BS detector. He cuts through false posture like McDavid cuts through a Flames neutral zone. While the left continue to perform in this dying, turgid model of media presentation with an excess of unearned confidence and an absence of knowledge on the subject they're presenting, Cherry is a an accomplished expert in his field whose never capped his thumb over a loose fist that jabs condescendingly as insincerely soft-sold paternal rhetoric whispers earnestly past a false smile. He's the "old man" who'd rather take a strip off ya and tell it like it is (See "how he sees it"), pound a fist or two, chirp at MacLean and the "video guy" and passionately push the content to where his decades battle-weary hockey-heart leads him...

Give me that dude in as loud a jacket as he damn well wants, because for me, Grapes' has got more life shining out of him in the 8 minutes he gets, than most of the actual culturally mortifying parrots being instructed to read off of their societal-neutering scripts hours upon hours every day of the week.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
I'm missing the logic when you conflate "not being Canadian" as being tantamount to an inoculation to Cherry's (alleged) BS.

I mean get that the present zeitgeist expects a sort of sweeping hatred of Western culture, but there should be some coherence to the basis of your opinion and as a Canadian of European immigrants I'm missing the pivot that connects being Canadian and being racist/bigoted as a norm. I don't discount that people have or express uninformed positions that are insensitive, but that doesn't make them racists or bigots. And that doesn't deny that there are racists and bigots any more than it denies human existence. But to make a sweeping generalization about him and those that support him is an example of invalid premises and invalid conclusions. It's simply a preferred position against contrary evidence.

But I can explain why I like him...It begins with his hockey knowledge. His errors stand out in the same way one insult amidst nine compliments stand out. He's right most of the time. Whether it's a play not picked up by officials, a trend on the verge of appearance, or predictions about players, team success, etc...Cherry's right more than he's wrong and he's right more than any of the HNIC personalities have been right...But Friedman's certainly making a name for himself.

I love the man's love of Canada. People living in Canada don't like Canada? Get lost. Move. Go. Now. Forever. I don't get this equivocation of cultures. They're not equal. Canada's is better than most. And there's nothing worse than hearing people from "back home" talk about the way something was "back home" and reduce Canada in the process when it's Canada and Canadians (wherever one may be from originally) providing the safety and means to be able to say "back home" because "back home" couldn't do the same. And that's directly tied to his family's love of the country that took them (From Scotland and Ireland) in which they in turn fought for Canada out of appropriate cultural gratitude. And that living martial memory is another thing I love about Cherry. For some people, the military is a way up and out. And the cost for that life is their lives not unlike the services: Police - Fire - Rescue. And he, Don Cherry honours them and theirs likely more - by himself - than the efforts of all major North American sportscasters...combined?

Then there's his charity work. And his tireless promotion of grassroots hockey and...His BS detector. He cuts through false posture like McDavid cuts through a Flames neutral zone. While the left continue to perform in this dying, turgid model of media presentation with an excess of unearned confidence and an absence of knowledge on the subject they're presenting, Cherry is a an accomplished expert in his field whose never capped his thumb over a loose fist that jabs condescendingly as insincerely soft-sold paternal rhetoric whispers earnestly past a false smile. He's the "old man" who'd rather take a strip off ya and tell it like it is (See "how he sees it"), pound a fist or two, chirp at MacLean and the "video guy" and passionately push the content to where his decades battle-weary hockey-heart leads him...

Give me that dude in as loud a jacket as he damn well wants, because for me, Grapes' has got more life shining out of him in the 8 minutes he gets, than most of the actual culturally mortifying parrots being instructed to read off of their societal-neutering scripts hours upon hours every day of the week.

Let me guess...you're a subscriber to Rebel Media right?

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
You guessed wrong. I'm simply from a generation (and a family) that didn't abscond critical thinking or appropriate pride in one's Canadian identity.But what's important is how confident you were in stating the question.

My turn? "MapleLeafistan"...Not a subscriber to Rebel Media, but you never miss a Linda Sarsour upload?

Did I win!? Did I win!?

:eyeroll:

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Define Canadian identity.

Maybe in your part of the woods, it's what Don Cherry says it is...but go to Nunavut and ask them what Canadian identity is. Go to Quebec and ask them what Canadian identity is. Come to the west and ask them what Canadian identity is. Canada doesn't have one culture and being Canadian doesn't have a single definition either. It's still in the midst of being developed.

Unfortunately you've confused Canadiana with Ontario/Anglo-Saxon/British culture and history. Canada is not Ontario, but rather Ontario is part of Canada. You are more than welcomed to be proud of your history, but to shove this history down Canada's throat (which is what Don Cherry does) rubs the rest of the country off...and claiming it's the "best culture" is frankly ridiculous. And then you all wonder where Quebec separatism comes from or why Western Canada feels alienated from the East.

Don Cherry in my opinion is an English colonialist in disguise as a "proud Canadian". I have no issues with him honouring soldiers, police officers, fire fighters who have been killed in action...but when he starts going on rants about liberals and leftists, I begin to wonder his mental state of mind. One has an absolute right to ask about why Canadian tax dollars are being used to spread such ridiculous nonsense on a national broadcaster.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Define Canadian identity.

Maybe in your part of the woods, it's what Don Cherry says it is...but go to Nunavut and ask them what Canadian identity is. Go to Quebec and ask them what Canadian identity is. Come to the west and ask them what Canadian identity is. Canada doesn't have one culture and being Canadian doesn't have a single definition either. It's still in the midst of being developed.

In my "part of the woods"? What part would that be, the wig-wearing, feather-writing, noblesse oblige, English aristocracy checking in from one of several owned plantations, just sailed over from titled lands and castles "part of the woods" that can only fit your abstract?

I'm from Toronto. Got married in Ottawa because the French-Canadian side of my family was closer there than Toronto, honeymooned in Quebec City, returned three times since. Used to visit French-speaking family in Sturgeon Falls as a kid...So, I'm not sure - from experience - what you mean when you attempt to state that to be French-Canadian is to detest Cherry's positions on any number of things.

You think French-Canadians are so dumb as to not be able to separate Don Cherry's generational short-comings (e.g. cumbersome pronunciation, absence of contemporary socially vanguard politically correct terminology, etc...) and emotional outbursts from the integrity of his content and actions?

I'm more than happy to provide some elementary school quotes about the Canadian identity from politicians, authors and cultural darlings if that will confirm your bias, but the lived experience of being Canadian doesn't exclude one truth in order to shoe-horn in a concept that is presently fashionably and abstractly preferred amongst some i.e. Don Cherry is a racist of material effect.

This to say, what Don Cherry is and what he supports is part of that developing Canadian identity in the same way a tree is a developing entity over gradual time. And you can't exclude the present and future actuality from the plainly understandable once and former and future potentiality.

Men like my Great-Grandfather didn't wake up for 60 plus years in the middle of the night screaming from three survived WWI battles and it's horrors, only in the daytime to assure his daughter (my Grandmother) that horrifying as war is that his greatest regret was killing men (i.e. Germans) who could have been his best friend. That man picked shrapnel out of his body for those same 60 plus years...Out of the parts that were whole and out of parts that resembled skin-covered holes.

Point out the intolerance and the prejudice in that man and I'll agree with your characterization of Don Cherry.

Unfortunately you've confused Canadiana with Ontario/Anglo-Saxon/British culture and history. Canada is not Ontario, but rather Ontario is part of Canada. You are more than welcomed to be proud of your history, but to shove this history down Canada's throat (which is what Don Cherry does) rubs the rest of the country off...and claiming it's the "best culture" is frankly ridiculous. And then you all wonder where Quebec separatism comes from or why Western Canada feels alienated from the East.

No, I haven't confused "Canadiana" with Ontario. But you obviously have a prejudice against the role of importance British culture has played in defining a substantial portion of the identity of Canada. Truth of the matter is, you've imported your prejudice into my definition without inquiring if my definition included other elements of the Canadian identity.

I also didn't say English Canadian culture was the "best culture"...I said, " I don't get this equivocation of cultures. They're not equal. Canada's is better than most." Now...Can you read? Because there's nothing pre-eminent about English Canadian culture in that statement. That's Canada with a capital C and the word "better" doesn't mean "best" in some slap-dash pronouncement. It's a statement bordering on a tautology. If a Canadian living in Canada doesn't in some way shape or form understand it's reasonable to believe his country by objective and subjective analysis is a country and a culture "better than most" than there's a few international polling companies he/she needs to consult and perhaps a few interviews with people waiting to get into the country.

You know as much about my online subscriptions as you do my life's experience and my family's history and my apprehension of what it means to be Canadian.

I don't know how old you are or how young you are, but the presumption of moral high ground without first approaching the dignity and integrity of the individual is typically a young man's error. It's called hubris and attempting to represent a ratings winning segment on Canada's longest running, most successful program and equating it with something prejudicial is nonsense.

Segments on and praise for players like Jordan Tootoo, his obvious affection for Wayne Simmonds and Nazem Kadri or the repeated championing of the AMERICAN developmental system over the years justify Cherry's position from a hockey standpoint. His support for the country and it's values are non-negotiable. His affect and his earned worldview that support such noble causes being drummed as being both acceptable and "racist" is the true cause for alarm, but not for the accused - for the accusers.

Don Cherry in my opinion is an English colonialist in disguise as a "proud Canadian". I have no issues with him honouring soldiers, police officers, fire fighters who have been killed in action...but when he starts going on rants about liberals and leftists, I begin to wonder his mental state of mind. One has an absolute right to ask about why Canadian tax dollars are being used to spread such ridiculous nonsense on a national broadcaster.

I disagree...One doesn't have an absolute right to impose incomplete emotional apprehension and convey them as intellectually minded reasons in order to compel unnecessary efforts into investigating non-threatening situations.

Don Cherry is no more an "English colonialist" than any other man, woman or child of Scottish or Irish descent, which if you've bothered to pay attention, is in fact what Don Cherry is. If you have no issue with what he honours, then what is your actual, verifiable issue? His criticism of the deformed left? Hell...I'm a former Liberal, and I can no loner recognize the party or the political leaning as I once knew it, that suspicion and confusion doesn't make me racist, it makes me a critically minded individual.

Now...In demanding a standard of integrity and consistency from others, do you require encouragement to account for inconsistent positions? Or in the manner you expect others to self-correct, are you going to address your errors and assumptions plainly noted above?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->