Don Cherry tells Nazem Kadri to 'smarten up'

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
When I was younger I got a gig as a gopher for HNiC. Let's just say whatever you think of Cherry, it's probably accurate.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
If one were to dig deep enough he would find a segment of Coaches Corner where Ron and Don were discussing some team that had coaching problems ( may have been the Leafs ) and Ron looked at Don and asked " Would you be interested ? " Don replied with a chuckle " They can't afford me ".. It was then that I realized that what he was saying was right on. At the time his restaurant business was at it's peak and expanding all across the country, his " Hockey Hits " cd's were one of Canada's top sellers and his Hockey Night in Canada commitment made what he said make sense. At what would be considered a time when he would be at the peak of his coaching career, he was very busy making his fortune at other things. It was only years later that he dabbed into coaching his junior team..
maybe, but your time frame is WAY off from what we are talking about

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
Yes, but I wonder how many of those watching are actually watching for Don's insights into hockey as opposed those who tune in to laugh at the clown in the loud suits.

He's got over 250,000 followers on Twitter. That should clue you in.

Cherry rocks. I agree with 99% of what he says because it's true. Now drop the damn puck already! :P

KULEMINakajesus

Dec 8, 2010
People do realize that Don Cherry's 79 years old...

If you don't think your grandparents or parents (depending on your age) aren't nationalistic/racist, I'd beg to differ.

You guys think he messed up names that much when he was in his early years of broadcasting? No.

You claim that he said O'Rielly should be captain over Landeskog because of his racist/nationalistic attitude. However he commonly referred to Matt Duchene as the best player in the nhl at the moment but still wanted O'Rielly to be the captain. Could it be possible that he made that comment based on play style? Once again that's his own opinion. I don't ever recall him claiming that Sundin shouldn't be the captain of the Leafs.

He's used his position of power help influence some of the new rules and safety in the game, no touch icing, flexible glass, safety nets behind the glass (I think) and more.

But please continue on claiming that his inability to properly recall and pronounce names at 79 years old means he has no idea what he's talking about.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

If you don't think your grandparents or parents (depending on your age) aren't nationalistic/racist, I'd beg to differ.

You guys think he messed up names that much when he was in his early years of broadcasting? No.

You claim that he said O'Rielly should be captain over Landeskog because of his racist/nationalistic attitude. However he commonly referred to Matt Duchene as the best player in the nhl at the moment but still wanted O'Rielly to be the captain. Could it be possible that he made that comment based on play style? Once again that's his own opinion. I don't ever recall him claiming that Sundin shouldn't be the captain of the Leafs.

He's used his position of power help influence some of the new rules and safety in the game, no touch icing, flexible glass, safety nets behind the glass (I think) and more.

But please continue on claiming that his inability to properly recall and pronounce names at 79 years old means he has no idea what he's talking about.

By the way it is nationality, not race.

Gretzky's ancestry is typically described as English on his mother's side and either Belarusian, Ukrainian, or Polish on his father's side.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Gretzky

Could have been born anywhere on the planet, but being born in Canada would make Cherry happy.

KULEMINakajesus

Dec 8, 2010
well aware, but that sentence refers to posters parents and grandparents specifically, independent of Cherry's nationalistic comments. :handclap:

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

if it was about playing style he could have just said that, he specifically mentioned the fact that landeskog was swedish. if it had nothing to do with nationality then why bring it up?

and lol at you saying peoples parents and grandparents were racists. i guess r families r different bc mine aren't

KULEMINakajesus

Dec 8, 2010
Yes, parents and grandparents have everything to do with race.

... reading comprehension op. That sentence did nothing other than state my opinion that older generations tend be more racist/nationalistic because they didn't grow up with the same cultural diversity that we have today. Cherry falls into that generation. I really don't think it's a hard concept to grasp.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
if it was about playing style he could have just said that, he specifically mentioned the fact that landeskog was swedish. if it had nothing to do with nationality then why bring it up?

and lol at you saying peoples parents and grandparents were racists. i guess r families r different bc mine aren't

Just to clarify Cherry did disgruntle Landeskog because he was swedish.

It was a segment where Don was praising ROR and then Maclean jumped in and said something like 'Landeskog is doing very good too, they have a good captain', then I remember Cherry Specifically saying "Yeah, but he's a swede".

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just to clarify Cherry did disgruntle Landeskog because he was swedish.

It was a segment where Don was praising ROR and then Maclean jumped in and said something like 'Landeskog is doing very good too, they have a good captain', then I remember Cherry Specifically saying "Yeah, but he's a swede".

We all know Cherry prefers Canadians. But Canadian isn't a race at all and could eventually disappear when the provinces become the next dozen states. Canadian is an artificial term based on existing borders, and if Landeskog's parents had moved to Canada and gave birth Landeskog would be the same genetics he is today.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Most people favour people of their own nationality. It's not that they hate other nationalities it's just that they prefer their own. It's why all major cities in North America have ethnic communities, little Italy, china town, Greek town etc. People associate and deal with their own nationality.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
You gotta tell us more than that.. that.. just leaves us hanging!

Haha, well, I can't say much except that he is pretty authentic. He is who he is, all the traits you associate with him are there to various degrees.

Things I will say : MacLean is as stand up a guy as possible. Hrudey was also a really nice guy.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Most people favour people of their own nationality. It's not that they hate other nationalities it's just that they prefer their own. It's why all major cities in North America have ethnic communities, little Italy, china town, Greek town etc. People associate and deal with their own nationality.

I actually think that is a parental thing, yes at least one study has shown that from birth humans are selfish, and then will adopt the standards of their parents, but that's where it ends.

I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in a smaller city, inter-racial was a fact of life even back in the 60's. Environment is what influences bigotry.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

We are still a tribal species.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I actually think that is a parental thing, yes at least one study has shown that from birth humans are selfish, and then will adopt the standards of their parents, but that's where it ends.

I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in a smaller city, inter-racial was a fact of life even back in the 60's. Environment is what influences bigotry.

Heck of a way to make friends, walk into all the ethnic communities in a major city and call all the residents there bigots. :laugh:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Heck of a way to make friends, walk into all the ethnic communities in a major city and call all the residents there bigots. :laugh:

Quite a stretch you're taking unless that is something you'd do.

Environment begins at home, it begins before you step out of the door, regardless of your community. I've been a majority and a minority and experienced both sides.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Quite a stretch you're taking unless that is something you'd do.

Environment begins at home, it begins before you step out of the door, regardless of your community. I've been a majority and a minority and experienced both sides.

It's not a stretch at all, why do people choose to live in their little ethnic communities? It's even more extreme than a guy wanting to cheer for a hockey team composed of players of his nationality.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's not a stretch at all, why do people choose to live in their little ethnic communities? It's even more extreme than a guy wanting to cheer for a hockey team composed of players of his nationality.

If the human species lasts long enough it won't matter, there'll only be one ethnic community. I'm skeptical of it making it to that point though.

Anyway, OT enough.

I need Kadri to start putting up some points as the guys behind me are closing the gap in my pool. I'd like to make 2 months in 1st. place even if it doesn't get me my money back.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I love how people are pointing out how Cherry is talking about Captains being Canadian.

Pretty sure until a few years ago Nik Lidstrom became the first Non-North American Captain to hoist that precious mug above his head. Closely followed by Chara. Those are the only two Europeans that have hoisted Lord's Stanley.

Not only that but from my memory I'm pretty sure only Derian Hatcher is the only other non-Canadian captain to hoist it, on a goal that shouldn't have counted..

So how does Cherry look bad for saying that he wanted his captain to be Canadian?

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Cherry is a bit of a clown, but he knows more about hockey than he sometimes comes off.

Remember, he called out Crosby years before he called out Ovechkin. Actually the only time he called out Ovy was around the time of the stick on fire

In 2010, he said that if Ovy played for Canada he would have been the best player in the tournament.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd love to hear Don try and say my last name(it's Gaelic). Nobody ever gets it right, he would absolutely butcher it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad