Don Cherry tells Nazem Kadri to 'smarten up'

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
LOL I can just picture Honey Boo Boo on HNIC with Don Cherry:

Don: Now ladies and gentlemen, we have a special guest here. I brought her on tonight because folks you parents need to know the consequences of not feeding your kids right.

Honey Boo Boo: Hi ya'll, looking snazzy Don

Don: Thanks kiddo but you need to do what my buddy Ron Mclean does and just smile and nod when I speak

Honey: Ok? Do you got a twinkie?

Don: Here, enjoy (hands her a twinkie)

Honey Boo Boo (munch munch munch)

Don: Now folks this is the problem with today's society, the parents are too bloody lazy to get up and cook a proper meal for their kids. I tell ya when I was a kid my Mother cooked me and my brother 3 meals a day (Canadian eggs and bacon for breakfeast, fruit for lunch, and a hardy bowl of soup, salad and potata's for dinner) and if we didn't like it we went to bed hungary those were the rules. God I miss those days

Honey Boo Boo (smiles and nods)

Can't believe I actually read the whole thing. haha funny stuff bud.

Feb 24, 2004
Dion Phaneuf hasn't lead to the Leafs to squat and he's Canadian so what's your point? Mine is that just because your a certain race shouldn't be the reason your not a captain of a team, the race card shouldn't factor into that and Don was a bloody idiot to even go there. Believe me I have my beef with Sundin for that crap he pulled in the end and it was rather douchey of him to play those highschool games, but no denying before that incident he was a solid and clutch leader. Alfy's an arrogant sob but in his time as captain their fans and the players seemed to have him up on a pedestal and respect him, not my cup of tea though but again my point is he was swedish and made captain, goes against what Don is spuing out,

Do you understand the difference between a nationality and a race?

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Maybe Cherry can take the kiss back and the Leafs could get the pre-kiss Kadri back.

At least take it out of the first intermission video. All these classic moments then suddenly Kadri getting a kiss, sure it was epic at the time and I loved it but he has been on the decline since instead of continuing to play hard every game. Its like the chip is off his shoulder now, I have a bad feeling he will be on his way out of here this year or next. I hope I am wrong but its just a gut feeling.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
You can disagree with his opinions all you want, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who pumps Canada (or our troops) more than Don.

And his support for Canada and the troops is laudable. I question whether some of it belongs on a hockey show, but that's a different matter altogether.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
And his support for Canada and the troops is laudable. I question whether some of it belongs on a hockey show, but that's a different matter altogether.

It doesn't belong but it's alright to spend a bit of time for fallen troops, though it should come out of CBC ad time not the corner.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Many teams offered him coaching jobs but he committed to hockey night in Canada and he honoured his commitment.

You have no idea of his knowledge of the game nor would I expected you to. He is so on the money about so many things that it is laughable when people state that he knows nothing yet his predictions and thoughts come true so many times.

Can you please share your wisdom with us so that we all can judge for our selves just what you know about the game.
bull ****.

he now may call CBC home but back then he wanted nothing more than to coach and would have done anything to do so again in the NHL.

show us some proof (and good luck)

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Obvious ones....like who will score the game winner in OT in the playoffs.....he is right far to often when he predicts who will score. Or like recently ( it was pointed out on the last HNIC ) that the fight by Flyers goalie could turn the team around.....yeah that was obvious.

If you think Barry Melrose has the same wealth of knowledge then I can not have a serious debate with an individual who compares Cherry to Melrose. Players do not care what Melrose thinks of them, but they do about what Cherry thinks of him, that alone should tell you just how Cherry is thought of in the hockey world.

Winnipeg got a team.....so he was wrong about which team but correct about them getting a team. He is right far more then wrong when making predictions.

I watch Cherry every Saturday, I watch because he speaks his mind, I do not agree with everything he states.
LOL cause he picks who will score the OT winner... brilliant

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Too funny. Cherry dares to rip St. Kadri and posters start calling Cherry a goof, moron, racist, whatever? Should not be surprised! Kadri was reckless and regardless of what you think about Cherry, he is right on this one.

he "ripped" Kadri a week ago and has been all those other things for years. the two are not in any way connected.

go back to sleep now nsleaf

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
bull ****.

he now may call CBC home but back then he wanted nothing more than to coach and would have done anything to do so again in the NHL.

i can't comment on it - but it's common knowledge that Don is a man of his word and once he commits to something, he won't back down, regardless of how he wants to. (see: coaching the Colorado Rockies (I think that was the team) over the Leafs, even though Ballard pretty much offered him the moon). Cherry said he shook the other guy's hand.

so it wouldn't surprise me if he gave up all of that + coaching the Leafs, that Don gave up coaching gigs to stick with CBC because he was honouring his contract.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Actually you are wrong...CBC's HNIC broadcasts PEAK for the first intermission..that means the opposite of what you are saying...there is a percentage of the viewership who ONLY tune in for Coaches Corner. Give it a rest...you may not like him and I understand why...I am not a huge fan of Cherry for many of the reasons that you are not but he does draw people, people like him and to say he is not knowledgeable about hockey is ignorant.
sure some people may tune in, but others, like myself, leave the game on but don't listen to or give a rats ass about what he has to say.

if you read the original comment you would see that's the point he was making. people leave it on but walk away, or don't listen, or mute.

still be in your PEAK count, but DON'T CARE WHAT HE'S SAYING

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
How is this racist? Did the 10 million Swedes suddenly evolve into their own race?
Lidstrom was good but the other two had little success and were not great leaders. Sundin failed to put the Leafs first when he was leaving and side show Bob is a cheap shot artist who loves cross checking people from behind... Tucker check.
brilliant post

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
i can't comment on it - but it's common knowledge that Don is a man of his word and once he commits to something, he won't back down, regardless of how he wants to. (see: coaching the Colorado Rockies (I think that was the team) over the Leafs, even though Ballard pretty much offered him the moon). Cherry said he shook the other guy's hand.

so it wouldn't surprise me if he gave up all of that + coaching the Leafs, that Don gave up coaching gigs to stick with CBC because he was honouring his contract.
true man of his word.that's why his junior team only had canadian players until he started coaching and he brought in imports to try to make himself look like a better coach.

Don Cherry does what is best for Don Cherry.

Oct 19, 2007
bull ****.

If one were to dig deep enough he would find a segment of Coaches Corner where Ron and Don were discussing some team that had coaching problems ( may have been the Leafs ) and Ron looked at Don and asked " Would you be interested ? " Don replied with a chuckle " They can't afford me ".. It was then that I realized that what he was saying was right on. At the time his restaurant business was at it's peak and expanding all across the country, his " Hockey Hits " cd's were one of Canada's top sellers and his Hockey Night in Canada commitment made what he said make sense. At what would be considered a time when he would be at the peak of his coaching career, he was very busy making his fortune at other things. It was only years later that he dabbed into coaching his junior team..

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Dons entertaining. But I think the whole rah rah Canada, I hate Europeans and Frenchies schtick has no place in the modern world.

Oct 19, 2007
More people are watching HNIC during Coaches Corner than what is watching during the game..:help:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
More people are watching HNIC during Coaches Corner than what is watching during the game..:help:

Yes, but I wonder how many of those watching are actually watching for Don's insights into hockey as opposed those who tune in to laugh at the clown in the loud suits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->