Don Cherry tells Nazem Kadri to 'smarten up'

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Don Cherry needs to tell more than Kadri to smarten up. A number of other Leaf players need to find a brain and start to use it!

Your right, if they continue to play at their present level, there will be no playoffs this year and hardly any draft picks to look forward too. Anybody who watched the games last week should be worried big time.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I think Cherry is really knowledgable when it comes to hockey, however he lets his emotions overtake him at times. I remember a few weeks ago he was going on about how Landisgog couldn't be the captain of Colorado because he's swedish, really an ignorant and racist thing to say, hell there have been 3 great captains (Sundin, Lidstrom, Alfy) lead their teams over the years and all 3 are Swedish.

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
I think Cherry is really knowledgable when it comes to hockey, however he lets his emotions overtake him at times. I remember a few weeks ago he was going on about how Landisgog couldn't be the captain of Colorado because he's swedish, really an ignorant and racist thing to say, hell there have been 3 great captains (Sundin, Lidstrom, Alfy) lead their teams over the years and all 3 are Swedish.

not the first time he does that. He'll do it again.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That's pretty much the entire audience of the early HNIC game. I suspect that most of them just leave the channel on during intermission -- you can't attribute that whole audience to Cherry.

He gets a million listeners a day just from his 1 minute radio blurbs.

mikebel111*

Your right, if they continue to play at their present level, there will be no playoffs this year and hardly any draft picks to look forward too. Anybody who watched the games last week should be worried big time.
U want that to happen
Dont u?

hockeyfanz*

Thats the kind of crap that spews from his mouth that makes him look stupid. Not sure how he gets away with it.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax

How is this racist? Did the 10 million Swedes suddenly evolve into their own race?
Lidstrom was good but the other two had little success and were not great leaders. Sundin failed to put the Leafs first when he was leaving and side show Bob is a cheap shot artist who loves cross checking people from behind... Tucker check.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How is this racist? Did the 10 million Swedes suddenly evolve into their own race?
Lidstrom was good but the other two had little success and were not great leaders. Sundin failed to put the Leafs first when he was leaving and side show Bob is a cheap shot artist who loves cross checking people from behind... Tucker check.

That's exactly what he did, put his teammates and fans 1st.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

Dion Phaneuf hasn't lead to the Leafs to squat and he's Canadian so what's your point? Mine is that just because your a certain race shouldn't be the reason your not a captain of a team, the race card shouldn't factor into that and Don was a bloody idiot to even go there. Believe me I have my beef with Sundin for that crap he pulled in the end and it was rather douchey of him to play those highschool games, but no denying before that incident he was a solid and clutch leader. Alfy's an arrogant sob but in his time as captain their fans and the players seemed to have him up on a pedestal and respect him, not my cup of tea though but again my point is he was swedish and made captain, goes against what Don is spuing out,

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
That's exactly what he did, put his teammates and fans 1st.

Ummmmm.... I coulnd't give a crap about the fans POV, team-mates first? No because that would imply he put the good of the team first, he hung onto Toronto the same reason Ford won't let go of being mayor because of their bloated egos.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
honey boo boo gets lots of viewing too... :laugh:

Difference between Cherry is he has a brain and knowledge about hockey and that Boo Boo chick well she's like that run away freight train you can't help but watch because you know when she crashes due to their size they're gonna do a lot of damage:laugh:

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa

Of course Swedes are not there own race, but he said things against Europe players, Russian players and French players. Racist is not the exact word but... think about it for a day or two.

Sundin didn't fail to put the Leafs first. Sure, some draft picks would have been nice, but he stayed till his contract was over. End of story.
Kovalchuk is the example of checking people from behind.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Dion Phaneuf hasn't lead to the Leafs to squat and he's Canadian so what's your point? Mine is that just because your a certain race shouldn't be the reason your not a captain of a team, the race card shouldn't factor into that and Don was a bloody idiot to even go there. Believe me I have my beef with Sundin for that crap he pulled in the end and it was rather douchey of him to play those highschool games, but no denying before that incident he was a solid and clutch leader. Alfy's an arrogant sob but in his time as captain their fans and the players seemed to have him up on a pedestal and respect him, not my cup of tea though but again my point is he was swedish and made captain, goes against what Don is spuing out,
Not that I disagree with you, but Swedish isn't a race.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

LOL I can just picture Honey Boo Boo on HNIC with Don Cherry:

Don: Now ladies and gentlemen, we have a special guest here. I brought her on tonight because folks you parents need to know the consequences of not feeding your kids right.

Honey Boo Boo: Hi ya'll, looking snazzy Don

Don: Thanks kiddo but you need to do what my buddy Ron Mclean does and just smile and nod when I speak

Honey: Ok? Do you got a twinkie?

Don: Here, enjoy (hands her a twinkie)

Honey Boo Boo (munch munch munch)

Don: Now folks this is the problem with today's society, the parents are too bloody lazy to get up and cook a proper meal for their kids. I tell ya when I was a kid my Mother cooked me and my brother 3 meals a day (Canadian eggs and bacon for breakfeast, fruit for lunch, and a hardy bowl of soup, salad and potata's for dinner) and if we didn't like it we went to bed hungary those were the rules. God I miss those days

Honey Boo Boo (smiles and nods)

Jackothy

Jun 10, 2009

Swedish isn't a race...just saying.

EDIT: looks like Rob Brown beat me to it.
DOUBLEEDIT: Looks like blue storm takes it.

MrLegend28*

hes NATIONALISTIC you morons. jesus stop saying "hes not racist". hes not, but he discriminates based on YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN. Jesus christ

if you actually think that based on your background you cant be a captain, please reply to this so I can throw you on ignore.

lets make this a fun post:

fun fact - Cherry was involved in the game so much and NEVER WON A TITLE EVER!!!!!!!

Cherry was the part-owner and the former coach of the Ontario Hockey League's Mississauga IceDogs. As owner and general manager, he gained notoriety by refusing to take part in the CHL import draft, and only play North American born players. The IceDogs' first three seasons were difficult ones with the team winning a total of 16 games combined. Cherry took over coaching duties in the fourth season. During Cherry's one season as head coach of the Mississauga IceDogs, the team managed 11 victories (only a slight improvement) and failed to make the playoffs for the fourth straight year. Cherry drew some criticism for his sudden decision to allow European born players onto the IceDogs line-up during the one season he coached the team.

What a piece of ****. Like this is pathetic. I cant believe people defend a clown like this.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
hes NATIONALISTIC you morons. jesus stop saying "hes not racist". hes not, but he discriminates based on YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN. Jesus christ

if you actually think that based on your background you cant be a captain, please reply to this so I can throw you on ignore.

lets make this a fun post:

fun fact - Cherry was involved in the game so much and NEVER WON A TITLE EVER!!!!!!!

Cherry was the part-owner and the former coach of the Ontario Hockey League's Mississauga IceDogs. As owner and general manager, he gained notoriety by refusing to take part in the CHL import draft, and only play North American born players. The IceDogs' first three seasons were difficult ones with the team winning a total of 16 games combined. Cherry took over coaching duties in the fourth season. During Cherry's one season as head coach of the Mississauga IceDogs, the team managed 11 victories (only a slight improvement) and failed to make the playoffs for the fourth straight year. Cherry drew some criticism for his sudden decision to allow European born players onto the IceDogs line-up during the one season he coached the team.

What a piece of ****. Like this is pathetic. I cant believe people defend a clown like this.

This sounds fairly similar to European soccer leagues. You know, the ones where there are a maximum of 3 non-Europeans allowed to be registered for any one match. And some leagues have a maximum of 3 non-Europeans allowed on their entire roster.

And by European leagues, I mean top flight leagues like Spain, Italy, England, France, etc...

Yes, this is a completely normal thing for sports all over the world.

Stop crying about Don's supposed "racism" because he thinks that Canadians should be regarded with more respect in Canada than non-Canadians.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
LOL I can just picture Honey Boo Boo on HNIC with Don Cherry:

Don: Now ladies and gentlemen, we have a special guest here. I brought her on tonight because folks you parents need to know the consequences of not feeding your kids right.

Honey Boo Boo: Hi ya'll, looking snazzy Don

Don: Thanks kiddo but you need to do what my buddy Ron Mclean does and just smile and nod when I speak

Honey: Ok? Do you got a twinkie?

Don: Here, enjoy (hands her a twinkie)

Honey Boo Boo (munch munch munch)

Don: Now folks this is the problem with today's society, the parents are too bloody lazy to get up and cook a proper meal for their kids. I tell ya when I was a kid my Mother cooked me and my brother 3 meals a day (Canadian eggs and bacon for breakfeast, fruit for lunch, and a hardy bowl of soup, salad and potata's for dinner) and if we didn't like it we went to bed hungary those were the rules. God I miss those days

Honey Boo Boo (smiles and nods)

Well done that was actually funny!!:laugh:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Ummmmm.... I coulnd't give a crap about the fans POV, team-mates first? No because that would imply he put the good of the team first, he hung onto Toronto the same reason Ford won't let go of being mayor because of their bloated egos.

Or, you know, he stuck around Toronto out of a sense of obligation to his teammates/Leafs Nation not to abandon ship when they still had a chance at the playoffs (in his mind).

But whatever helps you sleep at night.

Mats Sundin is one of the LEAST egotistical players ever to lace them up in the NHL. Perhaps you should re-check the definition of that word.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Or, you know, he stuck around Toronto out of a sense of obligation to his teammates/Leafs Nation not to abandon ship when they still had a chance at the playoffs (in his mind).

But whatever helps you sleep at night.

Mats Sundin is one of the LEAST egotistical players ever to lace them up in the NHL. Perhaps you should re-check the definition of that word.

Mats Sundin is the exact kind of person that I think kids should be made to idolize.
He combined skill, toughness, willingness to fight through pain, selflessness, humility and loyalty.

If he were Canadian, Cherry would prop him up like Bobby Orr. Actually, if someone were to ask his opinion on the guy, I don't see how Grapes could say anything bad about Mats.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Mats Sundin is the exact kind of person that I think kids should be made to idolize.
He combined skill, toughness, willingness to fight through pain, selflessness, humility and loyalty.

If he were Canadian, Cherry would prop him up like Bobby Orr. Actually, if someone were to ask his opinion on the guy, I don't see how Grapes could say anything bad about Mats.

And he wouldn't.

There are clearly a few anomaly's when it comes to the Europeans. He's give Mats his props when they were due.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->