Don Cherry tells Nazem Kadri to 'smarten up'

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'm pretty sure the only predictions he made that have come true are pretty obvious predictions in the same vein as "Kessel will score less than 999 points this season." When he tries to be reasonable, he is often wrong (see http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...s-make-the-playoffs-coyotes-move-to-winnipeg/).

Don Cherry might be the biggest moron on air. His "wealth" of hockey knowledge rivals Barry Melrose at best and his xenophobia knows no bounds. It's time for him to ditch this obnoxious character. Or, if this isn't a character, it's time for him to retire.

Obvious ones....like who will score the game winner in OT in the playoffs.....he is right far to often when he predicts who will score. Or like recently ( it was pointed out on the last HNIC ) that the fight by Flyers goalie could turn the team around.....yeah that was obvious.

If you think Barry Melrose has the same wealth of knowledge then I can not have a serious debate with an individual who compares Cherry to Melrose. Players do not care what Melrose thinks of them, but they do about what Cherry thinks of him, that alone should tell you just how Cherry is thought of in the hockey world.

Winnipeg got a team.....so he was wrong about which team but correct about them getting a team. He is right far more then wrong when making predictions.

I watch Cherry every Saturday, I watch because he speaks his mind, I do not agree with everything he states.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Too funny. Cherry dares to rip St. Kadri and posters start calling Cherry a goof, moron, racist, whatever? Should not be surprised! Kadri was reckless and regardless of what you think about Cherry, he is right on this one.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Don Cherry needs to tell more than Kadri to smarten up. A number of other Leaf players need to find a brain and start to use it!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Here is a short list of things Cherry has championed:

No touch icing
the flexible boards and glass
the elimination of rock-hard equipment
STOP signs on children's sweaters
women's hockey

He has also has been a tireless promoter of Canadian kids playing the game they love. No one - ever - has promoted safety in the game the way he has.

MrLegend28*

can you guys even name things hes said that are correct? every time I listen to Cherry I find out how Canada has the best hockey players, how we need fighters for the rats, and what other potential names the parents of a player could of named their kid.

Also Cherry told Kadri to "smarten up?".. waters wet Cherry, I think the 3 game suspension was enough of a smarten up.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

No touch icing
women's hockey

He has also has been a tireless promoter of Canadian kids playing the game they love. No one - ever - has promoted safety in the game the way he has.

I agree.

The one thing I stressed as a coach was "if you can see the numbers of your opponent, stop, and don't finish your check". I tried to teach my players to get into position to rub out opponents shoulder to shoulder. I also told my players to never body check a player towards the boards if the opponent was anywhere within 3-5 meters from said boards. I also instructed my players to complete body checks only when you were able see the opponent players eyes.

Fair play is fair!!!

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
True that but Cherry said it out loud, which not many have the balls to do

Naz hasn't twatted anything about that particular edition of CC and so I think even he knows Grapes is right

yeah i agree that he's right on that. Hey, have you ever had a beer at the prior? Is that why your name is that? or you live there.

Last edited:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

No touch icing
women's hockey

He's always about safety.

Just like he shows defensemen peaking when they're going into the boards in order to avoid getting injured. People who try to say Cherry doesn't know anything really don't pay attention.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
That's pretty much the entire audience of the early HNIC game. I suspect that most of them just leave the channel on during intermission -- you can't attribute that whole audience to Cherry.

There's a reason why CBC brings him back constantly..

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Too funny. Cherry dares to rip St. Kadri and posters start calling Cherry a goof, moron, racist, whatever? Should not be surprised! Kadri was reckless and regardless of what you think about Cherry, he is right on this one.

I'm the main one to rip into Cherry in this thread. And I think he's right -- but the "smarten up" was obvious, so I'm not going to give him a lot of credit for it. Most of my comments about Cherry had nothing whatsoever to do with his comments on Kadri.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I'm the main one to rip into Cherry in this thread. And I think he's right -- but the "smarten up" was obvious, so I'm not going to give him a lot of credit for it. Most of my comments about Cherry had nothing whatsoever to do with his comments on Kadri.

Of course it was obvious.. It's not like it's ground breaking that that play by Kadri was just stupid :laugh: But to say Cherry isn't right when he says things, at least he admits when he's wrong.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
There's a reason why CBC brings him back constantly..

My point was that a lot of people would just leave the broadcast on whether Cherry was on or not. However, I suspect you'd get a few people tuning out, so they probably make a few advertising dollars to keep him around.

And I wonder how many of those who do specifically stick around or tune in just to see him are doing it to laugh at him. And how many seriously want to hear his hockey opinions.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Of course it was obvious.. It's not like it's ground breaking that that play by Kadri was just stupid :laugh: But to say Cherry isn't right when he says things, at least he admits when he's wrong.

At most I've said that I'm not sure how in touch with today's game he is. I haven't said that Cherry was wrong (well, except in his ignorant xenophobic remarks) just that I don't think much of what he says is great insight.

duck

Jun 29, 2008
Obvious ones....like who will score the game winner in OT in the playoffs.....he is right far to often when he predicts who will score. Or like recently ( it was pointed out on the last HNIC ) that the fight by Flyers goalie could turn the team around.....yeah that was obvious.

If you think Barry Melrose has the same wealth of knowledge then I can not have a serious debate with an individual who compares Cherry to Melrose. Players do not care what Melrose thinks of them, but they do about what Cherry thinks of him, that alone should tell you just how Cherry is thought of in the hockey world.

Winnipeg got a team.....so he was wrong about which team but correct about them getting a team. He is right far more then wrong when making predictions.

I watch Cherry every Saturday, I watch because he speaks his mind, I do not agree with everything he states.

I dont have time to respond fully, but if this doesn't equate him to Melrose, then there's no convincing you: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/don-cherry-defends-suspended-sabre-scott/

Sad part is, this is probably one of the least egregious things he has said...

GifKing*

Oct 24, 2013
The ones who don't like Cherry probably tune into the second period intermission to listen to the great PJ stock, kevin weekes and elliotte "rooster neck" friedman.

lols

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
As a Swede it's pretty easy to get annoyed at Cherry for the obvious reasons. As I don't get to watch him often most of what I've got to hear or read from him is the xenophobic or idiotic things, so I've disregarded him mostly for as long as I've followed NHL. There's still two things I'd like to point out here:

1) He is absolutely right.

2) Don't take for granted how refreshing it is to have someone state actual opinions about things, even if you don't agree. Most of the swedish hockey analysts and announcers that we have are so correct that they never take a stand for or against anything really. Not long ago I got to listen to one of Swedens top hockey analysts in media talk about how "Douglas Murray is not perhaps BAD at offense, he just tends to get a role that is more defensive in nature" all so he wouldn't upset the Murray fanboys in Sweden (and we have a ton of them for some reason).

hockeyfanz*

My point was that a lot of people would just leave the broadcast on whether Cherry was on or not. However, I suspect you'd get a few people tuning out, so they probably make a few advertising dollars to keep him around.

And I wonder how many of those who do specifically stick around or tune in just to see him are doing it to laugh at him. And how many seriously want to hear his hockey opinions.

Actually you are wrong...CBC's HNIC broadcasts PEAK for the first intermission..that means the opposite of what you are saying...there is a percentage of the viewership who ONLY tune in for Coaches Corner. Give it a rest...you may not like him and I understand why...I am not a huge fan of Cherry for many of the reasons that you are not but he does draw people, people like him and to say he is not knowledgeable about hockey is ignorant.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I stopped listening to Cherry years ago. Now when he comes on and all the simpletons gather round their tv sets to cheer for this idiot, I go for a piss. Get about the same entertainment from it.

What a simpleton thing to say, grouping thousands of individuals into one simple stereotype, "simpleton". :p::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad