Don Cherry tells Nazem Kadri to 'smarten up'

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Cherry is a great hockey mind.

Got to enjoy the final days he has left.

If Don Cherry has such a great hockey mind, then why didn't any team want to hire him back in the 80s?

But perhaps you can give me a rundown of his great insights that nobody else sees.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
If Don Cherry has such a great hockey mind, then why didn't any team want to hire him back in the 80s?

But perhaps you can give me a rundown of his great insights that nobody else sees.

Because he has a big mouth and it gets him in trouble.

Same reason CBC fired him on a weekly basis back in the 90s :laugh:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Because he has a big mouth and it gets him in trouble.

Same reason CBC fired him on a weekly basis back in the 90s :laugh:

Right, but if he was a truly great hockey mind, some one would have put up with it.

The job that CBC has done with hyping Don Cherry into something great is almost as good as TSN's hype job on the World Juniors.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Cherry understands hockey well enough, but I look at him more as entertainment than anything. I don't think anyone can really defend Kadri on this one, unless they're a major fan boy.

I still like my old rock em sock em hockey tapes. Cheesy dance music, with Cherry yelling "WAMMO", "WHAT A BEAUTY" in between plays :laugh: .

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Many teams offered him coaching jobs but he committed to hockey night in Canada and he honoured his commitment.

You have no idea of his knowledge of the game nor would I expected you to. He is so on the money about so many things that it is laughable when people state that he knows nothing yet his predictions and thoughts come true so many times.

Can you please share your wisdom with us so that we all can judge for our selves just what you know about the game.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Cherry may be a xenophobe, but so are many, many other people. In fact, more people are then aren't. It's a pretty natural part of the human condition to be wary of those who seem overtly different. Has to do with our tribalism and all that kinda fun stuff.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, it's just gonna take a long time to evolve out of it on the whole.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

When was the last time Walter Gretzky coached an NHL game?

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
cherry is a nationalistic loser. replace "hes a swede" with "hes a [insert ANY SKIN COLOR]" and hes a racist, but instead hes revered by thick headed Canadians who love hearing Canada is good at something. He knows nothing, believes such asinine things and I change the channel when hes on cause hes a goof.

Funny how you go on a tirade of name calling and say hes "thick headed" then you call him a goof. You do know the meaning of that word yes? (I refer to the social definition not the dictionary).

MajorityRules*

I stopped listening to Cherry years ago. Now when he comes on and all the simpletons gather round their tv sets to cheer for this idiot, I go for a piss. Get about the same entertainment from it.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Right, but if he was a truly great hockey mind, some one would have put up with it.

The job that CBC has done with hyping Don Cherry into something great is almost as good as TSN's hype job on the World Juniors.

Cherry did more to make HNIC what it is than CBC did to make Cherry.:laugh:
Sheesh they tried to get rid of him but saw the error of their ways.:laugh:

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
You do realize it's just part of his shtick. Outside of his telecasts Cherry is one of the sharpest dressers around.

Yeah i know. I know that he helps a lot in communities and kids for hockey and everything too. He's probably a great person. I just don't like his crap on CBC. The one thing i like, he shows great respect to the soldiers.

duck

Jun 29, 2008
Many teams offered him coaching jobs but he committed to hockey night in Canada and he honoured his commitment.

You have no idea of his knowledge of the game nor would I expected you to. He is so on the money about so many things that it is laughable when people state that he knows nothing yet his predictions and thoughts come true so many times.

Can you please share your wisdom with us so that we all can judge for our selves just what you know about the game.

I'm pretty sure the only predictions he made that have come true are pretty obvious predictions in the same vein as "Kessel will score less than 999 points this season." When he tries to be reasonable, he is often wrong (see http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...s-make-the-playoffs-coyotes-move-to-winnipeg/).

Don Cherry might be the biggest moron on air. His "wealth" of hockey knowledge rivals Barry Melrose at best and his xenophobia knows no bounds. It's time for him to ditch this obnoxious character. Or, if this isn't a character, it's time for him to retire.

hockeyfanz*

Cherry is ultimately entertaining whether you like him or not...He is also a dinosaur much like all these old school types...I think he knows plenty about hockey and if he stays on topic he is often right when he speaks of the sport. Although I dont agree with everything he says, I find him amusing...

Things that he does/says that tarnish his image and make him look stupid is his constant butchering of names, words, and his disdain for players who are NOT Canadian. He comes across like a racist, bigot, right winged nut ala American syle..like he belongs on FOX NEWS. I also hate when he starts talking about anything but hockey. Easy to see why he is disliked by some..also easy to see why he is loved by many.

Overall, I take everything he says with a grain of salt but find him fun to watch.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
True that but Cherry said it out loud, which not may had the balls to do

Naz hasn't twatted anything about that CC and so I think even he knows Grapes is right

He should know, Cherry was right.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I stopped listening to Cherry years ago. Now when he comes on and all the simpletons gather round their tv sets to cheer for this idiot, I go for a piss. Get about the same entertainment from it.

so you like handling the goods when Cherry speaks:naughty:

lol :laugh: ;) :D ****

*****just so you know that this was a joke and not intended to insult anybodies poodle

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Thank god, he undid the kiss of death from last year. :laugh:

I love how Kadri responds to criticism, hopefully he comes out blazing when he gets back. Like others said, I like how it represents how he's not a perimeter player and go to the dirty areas but the hit was totally unnecessary and excessive.

I so hope this is true. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad