Don Cherry tells Nazem Kadri to 'smarten up'

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Cherry was right about everything about Kadri-

Kadri needs to smarten up out there, he can't be bolldozing over goalies or head-shotting players, not only because its dirty and ratlike behaviour but because Kadri is a key part of this team and he needs to be in the lineup not being suspended for his antics.

The other thing Cherry was right about was Kadri had a chance to show to Randy he could be that 1C and he blew it, the fact Carlyle went with JVR over Kadri as the top C when Bozak went down is very telling. Kadri needs to learn that when you are given an opportunity that you better make the most of it, and Kadri has a history of not showing up when it matters (case in point the final 1/3 of last season, and the playoffs). No denying he's skilled and no denying he isn't capable of being a top line player he just has to show he can do it long term, the jury is still out on him IMO.

MrLegend28*

cherry is a nationalistic loser. replace "hes a swede" with "hes a [insert ANY SKIN COLOR]" and hes a racist, but instead hes revered by thick headed Canadians who love hearing Canada is good at something. He knows nothing, believes such asinine things and I change the channel when hes on cause hes a goof.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Thank god, he undid the kiss of death from last year. :laugh:

I love how Kadri responds to criticism, hopefully he comes out blazing when he gets back. Like others said, I like how it represents how he's not a perimeter player and go to the dirty areas but the hit was totally unnecessary and excessive.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Thank god, he undid the kiss of death from last year. :laugh:

I love how Kadri responds to criticism, hopefully he comes out blazing when he gets back. Like others said, I like how it represents how he's not a perimeter player and go to the dirty areas but the hit was totally unnecessary and excessive.

Lately people have been saying our top 6 is soft.. False. Kessel and Bozak are soft. JVR, Lupul, Kadri, Clarkson/Kulemin all have no problems going into dirty areas.. Our best forward just happens to be soft as butter so the whole group gets labeled. The defense is the one that is soft, Gardiner has gotten better but him, Gunner, Reilly, and Franson always leave more to be desired physically. Franson has shown flashes of being a physical beast, but it's a rare occasion..

BleedsBlueAndWhite

Jul 8, 2011
Obviously, Kadri needs to smarten up. And one hopes that he immediately realized it on his own. If he didn't, one would assume that Randy pointed it out to him. If, however, he needed Cherry telling him, then perhaps Kadri is too much of an idiot to have on this team.

I will never understand why people put much weight in what Don Cherry has to say. He was an OK coach in the 70s, but he hasn't been wanted as an NHL coach for over 30 years. When no one wanted him as a coach, he got a chance to do the HNIC thing. But even that wasn't going well until he started to act like an idiot. At best, he's a clown. At worse, he's an ignorant, xenophobic, loud mouth who shouldn't be polluting the nation's airwaves.

Which is why I admire him. Someone who has the balls to speak the truth.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Kadri needs to smarten up out there, he can't be bolldozing over goalies or head-shotting players, not only because its dirty and ratlike behaviour but because Kadri is a key part of this team and he needs to be in the lineup not being suspended for his antics.

The other thing Cherry was right about was Kadri had a chance to show to Randy he could be that 1C and he blew it, the fact Carlyle went with JVR over Kadri as the top C when Bozak went down is very telling. Kadri needs to learn that when you are given an opportunity that you better make the most of it, and Kadri has a history of not showing up when it matters (case in point the final 1/3 of last season, and the playoffs). No denying he's skilled and no denying he isn't capable of being a top line player he just has to show he can do it long term, the jury is still out on him IMO.

But wasn't Cherry just stating the obvious? It's not like he's showing some amazing insight.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
If you go hard to the net things like that will happen. Good to see he's not just a perimeter player.

<------- And the fact that if the goalie was inside the blue instead of outside it, the impact may have been different, I don't believe it warranted any kind of suspension, first offense and the fact the goalie was out of his crease, let alone a 3 game.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North

funny.gif

- Carlyle must of been smokin that Hiezenberg stuff, because when Kadri was on the top line it was rockin. the only down game Kadri played was Vancouver. Not to sound like a fanboy, but it seems that everyone else gets more chances to succeed than Kadri. (ex. JVR @ C on top line).

That JVR at C was :facepalm:

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
<------- And the fact that if the goalie was inside the blue instead of outside it, the impact may have been different, I don't believe it warranted any kind of suspension, first offense and the fact the goalie was out of his crease, let alone a 3 game.

Riemer was outside of his crease when Gionta hit him, I guess you feel that hit wasn't worth a suspension as well no?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

I agree with this. This was a huge chance for Kadri to show that he can take the reins when his team needs him to, and he hasn't so far.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

LOL, and you say you don't have a vendetta against the kid?

Kadri was removed from the top line once Bolland went down. I don't suppose you have ever heard the concept of "spreading the offense around"? Kadri had 5 points in the 4 games he played between JVR and Kessel and the Leafs went 3-1-0 in those games. In what world is that a failure?

Kadri had a rough 10-15 games to end last season, and the world is ending? In the playoffs he had 4 points in 7 games, including a two-point effort in Game 7. But yeah, he doesn't show up when it counts, right?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
LOL, and you say you don't have a vendetta against the kid?

Kadri was removed from the top line once Bolland went down. I don't suppose you have ever heard the concept of "spreading the offense around"? Kadri had 5 points in the 4 games he played between JVR and Kessel and the Leafs went 3-1-0 in those games. In what world is that a failure?

Kadri had a rough 10-15 games to end last season, and the world is ending? In the playoffs he had 4 points in 7 games, including a two-point effort in Game 7. But yeah, he doesn't show up when it counts, right?

Kadri was appointed to the top line when Bozak went down (not sure if Bozak was injured before or after Bolland), he was replaced by JVR. I'm all for spreading the offence around and rolling 2-3 lines but Kadri was given the oppurtunity to play on the top line and clearly he didn't do good enough to stick otherwise he'd still be there.

I don't have a grudge against the guy, I actually think he has loads of potential and he reminds me a lot of my idol Gilmour. My issue with Kadri is while he has potential he has yet to substain or prove it so far, he was on pace last year to net 90 plus points but he went ice cold down the stretch and had a meh playoffs (granted it was his first time at the dance).

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
I don't have a grudge against the guy, I actually think he has loads of potential and he reminds me a lot of my idol Gilmour. My issue with Kadri is while he has potential he has yet to substain or prove it so far, he was on pace last year to net 90 plus points but he went ice cold down the stretch and had a meh playoffs (granted it was his first time at the dance).

You have to remember the other team was Boston. Not many players lit up the lamp against Boston (If any). He was a plus 5 against the Bruins in the playoffs. Again, hard to be on the plus side against the bruins in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Kadri was appointed to the top line when Bozak went down (not sure if Bozak was injured before or after Bolland), he was replaced by JVR. I'm all for spreading the offence around and rolling 2-3 lines but Kadri was given the oppurtunity to play on the top line and clearly he didn't do good enough to stick otherwise he'd still be there.

Kadri was replaced by JVR because there simply wasn't anyone else to play center.

Kessel and JVR have played together longer than Kessel and Kadri, its Logical to shift JVR to 1st line C with Kessel. I'm sure Randy would of liked to Keep JVR - Kadri - Kessel together but Now that JVR is a center man its impossible to keep Kadri on that line since Kadri's not a winger, hence Lupul took JVR's old spot.

You've got this all kinda jumbled up, there were HARDLY any people that didn't like the new 1st line, that fact that you think he didn't look good there is weird. Were you expecting a hat trick every game from him?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Yes, Kadri was appointed to the top line when Bozak went down in the October 25th game vs. Columbus. That's what I was referring to. It was for four games between October 26th (Penguins) to November 1st (Vancouver). The Vancouver game was when Bolland went down. When Bolland went down our centre depth had been decimated, and Kadri was "demoted" to the second line, despite more than a point-per-game in his brief 4-game stint with Kessel and JVR, in a clear attempt to spread out the offense.

Why you take this as a slight against Kadri, I don't understand. Carlyle clearly didn't want Smith/McClement on the second line between Clarkson and Lupul. He went as far to switch a winger to centre to avoid that. It was only after Kadri got suspended that Carlyle was literally forced to put Smith up in the #2C position.

And I have to laugh at the preposterousness of criticizing Kadri for not maintaining a 90-point pace in his first full year in the NHL. The kid put up 44 points in 48 games (48 in 55 games including the playoffs) as a 22-year-old and it's somehow not good enough for you. Talk about being hard to impress. Or perhaps it's just a case of you trying too hard to find fault with him.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Well he's not wrong. Kadri wouldn't have been suspended and his team wouldn't have been put at a disadvantage if he had paid attention to what was going on on the ice rather than puck watching throughout the play. There wasn't much time between Kadri turning into the play and the actual collision but if Kadri wasn't so focused on the puck, he might have had enough time to at least 'attempt' to avoid Backstrom. That's what his suspension boiled down to. Not intention. Not the collision itself. It was the lack of effort on Kadri's part to try and avoid it from happening. Even if he ended up hitting him anyway, Kadri makes an effort to get out of the way, we wouldn't be talking about a suspension.

FakeKidPoker*

Cherry is a great hockey mind.

Got to enjoy the final days he has left.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

How can you be for spreading offense around yet assume that moving JVR to C was because Kadri wasn't good enough?

The centre is traditionally the playmaker, the guy that creates space on the ice. Bozak held the defensive responsibilities of the first line. Bolland did so in the shutdown role and I'd say he's played like an above average 3, with the versatility to jump into the 2C role when needed. Kadri was given 1C opportunities until Bolland got injured (which happened after Bozak's injury). When those two guys go down, you're left with only one offensively minded C. When you have a guy like Kessel who can make plays all on his own, why would you put your only offensively minded C with him and then offensively starve your other lines? That makes no sense in theory so it makes perfect sense why your first inclination is not to do that.

JVR was shifted to C with Kessel because in theory it addressed all the areas of a line that Carlyle likes. Kessel and Lupul both have playmaking and finishing capabilities while JVR is a reliable defensive option (with Lupul having some grit to his game). Even if JVR isn't producing because of his new role, he had talents on both his wings that can create. Putting Kadri in the 2C gives you a line with an offensive C, some grit in either combination of Clarkson/Kulemin and an offensively capable winger in Raymond.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
who cares about what Don Cherry says? guy is a complete moron and cant even get Kadris name right :laugh:

Did you just read one line from the article? Because it sounds like he said Nathan in jest considering he referred to him as Nazem later on..

Anyway, Cherry is right, the Leafs could use you, Nazem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad