Don Cherry tells Nazem Kadri to 'smarten up'

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...fs-nazem-kadri-and-his-suspension-smarten-up/

Don Cherry struggled to speak through his Coach’s Corner segment on Saturday, pausing to clear his throat several times, but he managed to speak long enough to scold one of his favourite players on the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“One thing I gotta say,†Cherry said, “is about Nathan … Kadri.â€

Kadri, the Leafs centre popularly known by his actual name — Nazem Kadri — earned a three-game suspension from the National Hockey League earlier in the week for running over Minnesota Wild goaltender Niklas Backstrom during a loss on Wednesday. Kadri is losing US$44,615.37 in salary, with the scolding standing as an apparent bonus.

“You know how I like this guy,†Cherry said. “How he could do what he did; hit the goaltender, he could have been suspended twice … Smarten up, Kadri. Nazem, you know what I think of you, but you played stupid. They could use you right now.â€

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockeynightincanada/coachscorner/video/#id=2418806111

Coach's Corner: Grapes tells Nazem Kadri to 'smarten up'

Don Cherry has some advice for the Maple Leafs forward who drew a three-game suspension for elbowing Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom.

Nov 16, 2013

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was going to post something about this, but was too busy this afternoon.

Knowing Kadri, Cherry did a HUGE favour to Randy Carlyle. He's probably going to have a good run of games now, and we need him to do this with our eenter situation.

One thing I always liked about Nazem is he responds well to criticism. I give him cred for being man enough to do so.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
One thing Kadri needs to do beyond "smartening up", he needs to work on his skating and get back to the level it was when he got drafted. His skating has honestly regressed.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Agree with Cherry. Kadri will smarten up from that hit. Hope he remains a pest but the last thing we need is Kaleta like antics on this team. And before you all rip me apart understand I am not calling Kadri "Kaleta" I am just saying it was a similar event and I would prefer he not play that type of game and I fully suspect he will smarten up.

BayStreetBullies*

he needs to book some sessions with Barb.

i-will-whip.jpg

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
If you go hard to the net things like that will happen. Good to see he's not just a perimeter player.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Obviously, Kadri needs to smarten up. And one hopes that he immediately realized it on his own. If he didn't, one would assume that Randy pointed it out to him. If, however, he needed Cherry telling him, then perhaps Kadri is too much of an idiot to have on this team.

I will never understand why people put much weight in what Don Cherry has to say. He was an OK coach in the 70s, but he hasn't been wanted as an NHL coach for over 30 years. When no one wanted him as a coach, he got a chance to do the HNIC thing. But even that wasn't going well until he started to act like an idiot. At best, he's a clown. At worse, he's an ignorant, xenophobic, loud mouth who shouldn't be polluting the nation's airwaves.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Obviously, Kadri needs to smarten up. And one hopes that he immediately realized it on his own. If he didn't, one would assume that Randy pointed it out to him. If, however, he needed Cherry telling him, then perhaps Kadri is too much of an idiot to have on this team.

I will never understand why people put much weight in what Don Cherry has to say. He was an OK coach in the 70s, but he hasn't been wanted as an NHL coach for over 30 years. When no one wanted him as a coach, he got a chance to do the HNIC thing. But even that wasn't going well until he started to act like an idiot. At best, he's a clown. At worse, he's an ignorant, xenophobic, loud mouth who shouldn't be polluting the nation's airwaves.

Because, like every single human being in the world, hockey players listen to criticism from people who they respect. And, hockey players, especially Canadian hockey players, respect Cherry.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Does anyone really care what Don Cherry has to say?

I would bet that it would be "unanimous minus one" that more Canadians will listen to coaches corner than read any of the posts you make during the time it is on.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
who cares about what Don Cherry says? guy is a complete moron and cant even get Kadris name right :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad