Don Cherry/Sidney Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Vlad The Impaler said:
Get off your high horse. He's not obligated to play in any way.

Of course he is. It's called honouring your commitments.

I normally think Cherry is a goof, but he's bang on with this one. He hates showboats, and he believes a man ought to live up to his word.

All Crosby had to do was take the free first class tickets offered, show up, shake a few hands, sign a few autographs, and relax in the free spa provided the whole time, and this thing never would have become so large.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
PecaFan said:

I normally think Cherry is a goof, but he's bang on with this one. He hates showboats, and he believes a man ought to live up to his word.

All Crosby had to do was take the free first class tickets offered, show up, shake a few hands, sign a few autographs, and relax in the free spa provided the whole time, and this thing never would have become so large.

Sid wanted to attend.

Sid wanted to play.

Sid NEVER committed to playing with an injury.

Sid did not want an all expenses paid "vacation" in Vancouver.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
alecfromtherock said:
What BS that is.

If Crosby can somehow get to be a free agent without playing one year on the professional level, what is to stop all of the other players from doing so?

That would ruin the concept of the draft and would hurt hockey more then this stupid lockout.

It would indeed be very hurtful for hockey in the current context.

Unfortunately, none of this demonstrates why this is BS according to you. It is an unlikely but very real possibility.

You said it yourself. Agents are in it for the $$$. Don't think this isn't on their mind. Some of them will explore this possibility with various degrees of seriousness. Crosby has a lot to gain if this happens.

Again, I don't think it will, but I am 100% sure that he is playing this season knowing fully well there may be more than just his draft stock at stakes.

Even with a new CBA, nobody is sure what it will look like. Certainly, it seems a concensus that the rookies always take the hit but there could be wild systems thrown out there. I personally think the current system where they limit rookie contracts but are stuck augmenting salaries of crappy players to retain their rights doesn't make much sense. I think they will continue going with it but there's an infinitely small chance they might go for something else.

There's a lot of uncertanty right now as to what the future of hockey is. It's not BS. It's simple common sense.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
PecaFan said:

I disagree. If you need to recover, recover. Don't go cross-Canada to shake a couple of losers' hands.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Chelios said:
Didn`t the Q teams that were to play Rimouski over the World Juniors all reschedule their games (since Crosby packs every arena he goes to) so now Crosby has the most hectic schedule from now to the end of the season of any player in the CHL? If this is true you really can`t blame the guy for missing the top prospect`s game.
Exactly. He did not ask for the condensed schedule, the Q are succumbing to the whims and desires of the other clubs who view Sidney as a cash cow. How the hell can anyone blame him for the fatigue of a hectic World Junior schedule then being thrown him into the fire in the Q. Again- Don needs some publicity and this is a great way to get it. Dump on Crosby.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I don't know, I read Cherry's comments in the paper today and he did give Crosby the benefit of the doubt, but it is really hard to believe the kid when he plays like he did with an "injured" back. But I do think this is getting a little bit blown out of proportion... but I guess if we're going to extensively praise the kid (in my mind a little too excessively) then the kid will become an easy target for criticism.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Bandwagoner said:
I don't know, I read Cherry's comments in the paper today and he did give Crosby the benefit of the doubt, but it is really hard to believe the kid when he plays like he did with an "injured" back. But I do think this is getting a little bit blown out of proportion... but I guess if we're going to extensively praise the kid (in my mind a little too excessively) then the kid will become an easy target for criticism.

It was a minor injury. Things heal. And most of his points have been coming on the PP.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The only commitment he has

PecaFan said:

is to his team in the Q.

Otherwise there's no commitment to play in any other game or tourney, be it a BS top prospect game or the WJC's for that matter.

As for him owing something to the CHL? Don't think so. The kid has talent, that talent could have easily been developed in the NCAA if the CHL didn't want him and he would be a more complete player coming out of the NCAA to boot., but they knew what they had and EVERY TEAM in the Q is making a ton of money whenever the kid comes to town. I'd say that this statement should be the other way around and that the CHL owes Crosby.

But that's neither here nor there.

He's the #1 prospect in the world right now and 1 game will not change that, but playing in a meaningless game can increase the odds of a serious life alter injury. What's the sense of playing in a game or tourney that in the grand scheme of things is insignificant and no one will remember?

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
He's the #1 prospect in the world right now and 1 game will not change that, but playing in a meaningless game can increase the odds of a serious life alter injury. What's the sense of playing in a game or tourney that in the grand scheme of things is insignificant and no one will remember?

I agree. Why play in meaningless games when you risk injury? Hell, why even bother playing in regular season games? They don't mean much if you're in a playoff spot... and they don't mean much if you're not. Athletes should have the right to skip all games they see as meaningless to save their energy and recuperate for the important ones.

Edit: HFBoards apparently doesn't support the sarcasm tag ;)

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
theo_60 said:
Now I know Crosby missed out on the Russia/Canada Challenge and the Top Prospects game, but would Don Cherry shut up already. I just watched Sportsnet and heard him say on the fan590 how he wasnt impressed with Crosby missing the Top Prospects game. Well hello Mr. Perfect, were you not the one who was too good to come to Saskatoon for the exact same event?

That's what I thought Don, SHUT UP!

You tell em! I'm tired of the fat idiot opening his mouth! SHut up Cherry! Nobody has to attend these games, why would he? He's shown it all and scouts are well aware! I'm tired of Cherry dogging Crosby! The one good thing about no hockey is not having to listen to that fart bag every Saturday!

Sammy*

Vincent_TheGreat said:
You tell em! I'm tired of the fat idiot opening his mouth! SHut up Cherry! Nobody has to attend these games, why would he? He's shown it all and scouts are well aware! I'm tired of Cherry dogging Crosby! The one good thing about no hockey is not having to listen to that fart bag every Saturday!
Yeah, god forbid if Cherry has said 2 non-positive things about your hero. All media guys should just worship at the throne of Crosby & never be critical.
By the way, othe than the Top prospects game & his hot dog goal issue, please enlighten the unwashed about all the other terrible criticisims Cherry has dogged Crosby with.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Sammy said:
Yeah, god forbid if Cherry has said 2 non-positive things about your hero. All media guys should just worship at the throne of Crosby & never be critical.
By the way, othe than the Top prospects game & his hot dog goal issue, please enlighten the unwashed about all the other terrible criticisims Cherry has dogged Crosby with.

Cherry attacked the character of the 16 year old Crosby with respect to the "hot dog goal" more than once. He even pointed out that Orr would never do that but then added that Lemieux might. :shakehead

That being said Sid has not yet played 1 game at the NHL level and until he does he won't have played as many as Don Cherry has. :D

Jovo Cop

Orr wouldnt ..so whats wrong with Grapes asaying that .The Prospects game is to help all prospects , it would hurt Sidney to do something for the good of JUNIOR HOCKEY????
Hey if he was hurt , dont play but he wasnt hurt ..obviousely ..so why lie about it .Thornton ,Heatley ,Lecavalier they all played ..maybe all the top players should sit it out or better yet lets cancel it ..its too much to ask these 17 and 18 year old kids to do .Sheesh .

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Jovo Cop said:
Orr wouldnt ..so whats wrong with Grapes asaying that .The Prospects game is to help all prospects , it would hurt Sidney to do something for the good of JUNIOR HOCKEY????

You mean like saving franchises? Teams sell out when he plays. They package tickets to his game with **** tickets and they still sell-out. Some owners would be finding things MUCH leaner if Sidney just said f' it and went to university or Europe to get away from all of the BS he takes.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Jovo Cop said:
Hey if he was hurt , dont play but he wasnt hurt ..obviousely ..so why lie about it .Thornton ,Heatley ,Lecavalier they all played ..maybe all the top players should sit it out or better yet lets cancel it ..its too much to ask these 17 and 18 year old kids to do .Sheesh .

Orr wouldn't but in my opinion YOU would. YOU just don't have the character that Orr has.

Is there anything wrong with me saying this?

Sammy*

Crosbyfan said:
Cherry attacked the character of the 16 year old Crosby with respect to the "hot dog goal" more than once. He even pointed out that Orr would never do that but then added that Lemieux might. :shakehead

That being said Sid has not yet played 1 game at the NHL level and until he does he won't have played as many as Don Cherry has. :D
You guys are such fanboys even an arguably legitimate critisicim of one or two of your hero's acts is out of bounds? :joker: :joker:
Yeah, & as for your last paragraph, if number of games or how good a player one was is some sort of guide as to whom one can comment on, god help us all.
And oh, on that note, I think a guy who has won a coach of the year award & coached a bit at a very high level has a bit of a clue, maybe even a little more than some fanboy, dont ya think?.

Sammy*

Crosbyfan said:
Orr wouldn't but in my opinion YOU would. YOU just don't have the character that Orr has.

Is there anything wrong with me saying this?
:cry: :cry: :cry:
How in gods name do you have any idea as to his character?

Jovo Cop

If i had the talent you bloody well bet i would ,ime the dirtiest player in our rec league..i also gloat when i hit homeruns in slo-pitch ..if i played football ide be Terrell Owens ..i love showing up the other team ..ime a poor sport always have been , win at all costs and if you can rub it in even better ....ime everything Grapes is against but i still love the guy !!!

HABracadabra

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
What's wrong with all of you people ! Don Cherry can say what ever he wants on HIS radio Show, it's is prerogative. For the people saying that Crosby lied, i don't think he did lied, he is injured and fatigued the fact that he's scoring like crazy and didn't miss a game is irrelevant. (begin sarcasm) Everybody know there is no hitting in the Q and it's the most offensive league in the universe... heck even a blind man in a wheelchair could score 20 goals in the Q...... (sarcasm over)

What i mean is that a lot of player play with small injury all year long, it doesnt mean that they should deliver and be part of every project promoted by their league.

A lot of kids buy tickets to go see a Canadien's practice once a year. It's a corporate event for the whole family last year some guy that were slightly injured didn't participate and it's logic, nothing to gain in this.

Nobody said that Crosby was close of dying but. If a kid played in the WJC, has a team with a f*ck up schedule to make sure that everybody in the league don,t miss a chance to see him, as lot's of important game coming up with is regular team, fighting for a better spot for the playoffs. and is the clean known number one prospect in the game and he decided that he's not feeling well enough to participate, well, that's is prerogative and nobody should deny that. You could be angry and frustrated cause you didn't have a chance to see him play but geez get over it.

Look what happen to Bobby Ryan with the hit from Bourret, i'm sorry to tell everyone this, but Crosby hurt for 4 to 6 weeks would have hurt the Rimouski Oceanics and the Q to a far grater extend than having Sydney miss the game....

So people miss a game and one night of highlights big deal, he's in the news scoring points every teo days....

Let's put it this way, if Gilbert would have played in the WJC, have a crazy schedule, been the consensus # 1 and the game would have been played in Halifax, who knows, he might have done the same as Crosby... (And don't come and say, he would not have done that, he's not like that. BALONEY, you know squat, unless you are gilbert Brule and are on this board incognito....)

By the way for all you Crosby critique, he did miss the two games against Russia that the Q played, and nobody cried for weeks about it so please.....

Is it sad he miss the game? Definetly

Could it had be done in a different way? Probably

Should he get all the harsh critism about it? I don't think so....

Let the kid play and cross your finger he can carry is lousy team to the Memorial Cup. If they make it, be sure that he will play, injured or not....

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If this game meant something

Mr Bugg said:
I agree. Why play in meaningless games when you risk injury? Hell, why even bother playing in regular season games? They don't mean much if you're in a playoff spot... and they don't mean much if you're not. Athletes should have the right to skip all games they see as meaningless to save their energy and recuperate for the important ones.

Edit: HFBoards apparently doesn't support the sarcasm tag ;)

to his team in the standings and their effort to win their respective championship, and he skipped. I'd be questioning his thought process as well, but as it is, the game is a nothing game filled with players all trying to show off their skills when what GM's are really looking at what they do in a team situation.

What Sid does with his team is much more important than anything he could do in a Top Prospects game.

The game is more for the fane and another way for the CHL to make some more money. No other real reason for the game.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
There are meaningless regular season games too. You can't say one game is meaningless and others not when the definition clearly fits them.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I would really laugh if an NHL team, anyone, would move Crosby down to No. 2 on their draft board because of the fact he didn't play in the best-on-best prospects game. Or, better still, because they question his character.

Just like the media (hello, Don Cherry), there are a lot of stupid people making big decisions in the NHL. Say, maybe somebody should try to find Mike Milbury's current mock first round...just in case.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
If by find Milbury's mock draft you mean he makes bad draft selections, then you're flat-out wrong. He just has a bad habit of trading away his draft gems for immeadiate help that almost never comes close to matching what he gives up.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He makes bad decisions. Period.

The decision to trade some of the gems he (and previously Maloney) drafted are definitely part of his M.O. But to say his draft record is spotless is not entirely accurate.

<<Robert Nilsson>>, cough

I could throw in Russian high-profile forwards Evgeni Tunik and Dmitri Chernykh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->