Don Cherry/Sidney Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

theo_60

Sep 18, 2004
Now I know Crosby missed out on the Russia/Canada Challenge and the Top Prospects game, but would Don Cherry shut up already. I just watched Sportsnet and heard him say on the fan590 how he wasnt impressed with Crosby missing the Top Prospects game. Well hello Mr. Perfect, were you not the one who was too good to come to Saskatoon for the exact same event?

That's what I thought Don, SHUT UP!

Roger's Pancreas*

It seems like Cherry doesn't like watching kids have fun playing hockey either. I watched his commentary of the infamous "lacross goal" and was caught off gaurd. I would have thought that he would have enjoyed someone playing with creativity but whatever, I guess he won't love you unless you're scarred, toothless and have over 200 PIM in a season.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Crosby is not a good Kingston boy and is an attention getter. Don has for whatever reason decided to take shots at this kid whenever he is presented an opportunity. Its pitiful but hardly surprising.

Sammy*

Careful everyone, you are not allowed to express an opinion, tempered (as it sounds like Grapes comments were) or otherwise about Crosby, les the Crosby fanboys launch an all out attack.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
I honestly believe don cherry is a "tough love" kinda guy (suprise) and I think, in his mind, hes doing crosby a favor.

Don, by ridiculing crosbys choice, is possibly trying to help mold crosby into the player that he (don) wants him to be, since he is, ofcourse, the ultimate judge of hockey players

The lacrosse criticism is fair. you do that in the nhl, you're gonna get crunched no matter how many enforcers you got, because the jarko ruutus of the world dont fight to pay their dues.

While i personally dont agree with this comment by Don, I cant help but think hes saying things with good intentions and doesnt mean to bring crosby down. Its just Don's way.

thats just my 2 cents..

Maybe cherry was just mad cause he cant get tickets to crosbys other games and wanted to watch him up close, live? :joker:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Sammy said:
Careful everyone, you are not allowed to express an opinion, tempered (as it sounds like Grapes comments were) or otherwise about Crosby, les the Crosby fanboys launch an all out attack.
Don has had it in for Sidney for quite some time and has never even met the kid. It is a strange personal vendetta. I don't hate Don Cherry but i certainly don't agree with him on this issue. Go through my 1600 posts and see how many i have on Crosby. The 10 i have probably does not make me a groupy yet , more tired of the constant attention grabber that is Don Cherry.

BCCHL inactive

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Crosby is not a good Kingston boy and is an attention getter. Don has for whatever reason decided to take shots at this kid whenever he is presented an opportunity. Its pitiful but hardly surprising.

So what is your explanation for Crosby playing, and dominating, in the QMJHL days before and after the Prospects Game, while missing the prospects game claiming injury and fatigue?

I supported Crosby on this issue, trusting that he was injured. Obviously Crosby wasn't in too much pain.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
Van said:
So what is your explanation for Crosby playing, and dominating, in the QMJHL days before and after the Prospects Game, while missing the prospects game claiming injury and fatigue?

I supported Crosby on this issue, trusting that he was injured. Obviously Crosby wasn't in too much pain.

2 cross country flights + an extra game where NOBODY will give you a shift off = aggravating/unneccesary.

Jovo Cop

Right on Van ..even though i originally defended the kid ..too see him playing right before and after has left a bad taste in my mouth .This game is for the CHL and Sidney should of played as he obviousely is not hurt..not even Sidney Crosby is bigger than the CHL .
Unless he was afraid Gilbert was gonna kill him :amazed:

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Don Cherry and Brendan Shanahan are two amazing hypocrites. Both will preach till there heads turn read about more offence but lamblast a guy for being creative.

Wasn't it Shanny boy who got upset after Crosby's lacrosse goal saying he would never be dumb enough to try to do that in the NHL. Yet a couple weeks ago when he was doing his sermon on the mound he said the NHL should crack down on obstruction so guys like Crosby can flaunt their skill.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Cherry..

MrMastodonFarm said:
Don Cherry and Brendan Shanahan are two amazing hypocrites. Both will preach till there heads turn read about more offence but lamblast a guy for being creative.

I've heard Cherry asked on Off the Record with Lansberg that his criticism of Crosby on the lacrosse goal was the fact that it because Rimouski was up by like 5 goals at the time, it was unnecessary to do that "hot dog" move. He also said that he saw a guy in the NCAA do it before, but that goal in the NCAA was like the OT winner or something, which Don said was a great goal. So, his criticism was mainly that he didn't like to see anyone get embarrassed. Kinda of like not getting too high on yourself when you score late in a blowout game, whether you're on the winning or losing end of it.

As for him being disappointed in Crosby not being in the prospects game. Yeah, we all were, but really, it's not as if the game was going to do anything for the kid. He's going #1 regardless. And with the NHL season likely to get cancelled, there'd be no point in going from one coast to the other and go through a 5 hour flight both ways.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
theo_60 said:
Now I know Crosby missed out on the Russia/Canada Challenge and the Top Prospects game, but would Don Cherry shut up already. I just watched Sportsnet and heard him say on the fan590 how he wasnt impressed with Crosby missing the Top Prospects game. Well hello Mr. Perfect, were you not the one who was too good to come to Saskatoon for the exact same event?

That's what I thought Don, SHUT UP!

I saw who cares what Don Cherry is impressed with. Certainly not anyone important.

Sammy*

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Don has had it in for Sidney for quite some time and has never even met the kid. It is a strange personal vendetta. I don't hate Don Cherry but i certainly don't agree with him on this issue. Go through my 1600 posts and see how many i have on Crosby. The 10 i have probably does not make me a groupy yet , more tired of the constant attention grabber that is Don Cherry.
I have never made one negative comment about Crosby save for the fact I didnt like his "excuse" for not playing, which imo was an abject lie (probably). Apparently Cherry said the same thing in a much, much more diplomatic way & I see nothing wrong with that. Furthurmore to my knowledge the only other thing Cherry ever said about Crosby in a negative way was the "hotdog" goal he scored, & imo, the opinion, though not one I really share , was not so out of wack as to show any dislike, nor was it said in anyway that could be considered inflamatory.To suggest a vendetta you would have to give me way more examples,& I dare say Cherry has also said many positive things about the kid.
Frick, imo Cherry on this issue has been reasoned & even somewhat circumspect, but the Cherry haters or Crosby lovers let their own personal biases get in the way of any objectivity.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Van said:

I tend to be a guy who worries more about my teammates more than anything else. I cannot say for sure but isn't it possible that being there for them was more important than a CHL prospects game to Crosby? He may have been getting treatment on the days he would be flying for hours on end . I do not think he would skip the game if he was 100%. I am am willing to bet he is still not.

Sammy*

FreshBrew said:
2 cross country flights + an extra game where NOBODY will give you a shift off = aggravating/unneccesary.
Wow. So I take it you agreed he lied?
BTW, if thats his excuse, hopefully he doesnt play in the west as a pro, he might only play arounf 50% of the time.
I think common sense tells one that he really didnt feel like going & he saw no real upside to attending. Now I have my views on that, but anyway you slice it, if thats the reason, he lied .

Sammy*

MrMastodonFarm said:

Wasn't it Shanny boy who got upset after Crosby's lacrosse goal saying he would never be dumb enough to try to do that in the NHL. Yet a couple weeks ago when he was doing his sermon on the mound he said the NHL should crack down on obstruction so guys like Crosby can flaunt their skill.
If thats your example of Shanny being a hypocrite, you better brush off your dictionary because Shannys comments about Crosby's goal had nothing to do about obstruction.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Sammy said:
I have never made one negative comment about Crosby save for the fact I didnt like his "excuse" for not playing, which imo was an abject lie (probably).

I can't really understand why you'd think that. Isn't it obvious that not participating in this contest was NOT in his best interest? What's his reason for lying? What was the true reason he didn't show up, in your opinion?

I fully support a player who put his team's interests before exhibition games. This is exactly what Sydney has done and unfortunately he is going to have to live with the gossiping. He's not the first high profile player to go through this and he won't be the last. They all live through unfair scrutinity. He might as well get used to it now.

What makes you think this is a lie?

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Sammy said:
I have never made one negative comment about Crosby save for the fact I didnt like his "excuse" for not playing, which imo was an abject lie (probably). Apparently Cherry said the same thing in a much, much more diplomatic way & I see nothing wrong with that. Furthurmore to my knowledge the only other thing Cherry ever said about Crosby in a negative way was the "hotdog" goal he scored, & imo, the opinion, though not one I really share , was not so out of wack as to show any dislike, nor was it said in anyway that could be considered inflamatory.To suggest a vendetta you would have to give me way more examples,& I dare say Cherry has also said many positive things about the kid.
Frick, imo Cherry on this issue has been reasoned & even somewhat circumspect, but the Cherry haters or Crosby lovers let their own personal biases get in the way of any objectivity.
Now if its Shayne Corson and you quit on your team in the playoffs its no problem. Get well Shayne. If its a kid in the Q it is right to question the injury/problem. Don picks his spots and he chooses to take small digs at Crosby and his parents. In any case i did not intend to go this deep into this argument and was drawn in by a 71 year old man(bigot) that is wrong as often as he is right. Its fairly funny that he looks down on a hot dog goal yet here is a man that is a hot dog through and through.

Sammy*

Vlad The Impaler said:
I
What makes you think this is a lie?
Well, the fact he allegedly was injured to such a degree that he felt he really couldnt or shouldnt play in the game suggests that his "injury" is a little more than a hangnail. So if thats what is is presented as (& thats how I took it) tha fact that he lit it up in the game previous & played a regular shift in the 3rd(apparently) in a blowout, & then he lit it up afterwards , suggests to me he jut wanted a break to rest a bit.
Thats fine (well, maybe not imo, but thats a different issue), but dont "lie' or at least come up with something "better".
I dunno, maybe its me, I just dont like it it when someone is not straight up.

Sammy*

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Now if its Shayne Corson and you quit on your team in the playoffs its no problem. Get well Shayne. If its a kid in the Q it is right to question the injury/problem. Don picks his spots and he chooses to take small digs at Crosby and his parents. In any case i did not intend to go this deep into this argument and was drawn in by a 71 year old man(bigot) that is wrong as often as he is right. Its fairly funny that he looks down on a hot dog goal yet here is a man that is a hot dog through and through.
So is your beef with Cherry or his comment, cause you dont tell me anything else he has said about Crosby other than the two "incidents".
If its about Cherry, imo you should save your typing for a time when he can be legitimatly criticized.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Sammy said:
So is your beef with Cherry or his comment, cause you dont tell me anything else he has said about Crosby other than the two "incidents".
If its about Cherry, imo you should save your typing for a time when he can be legitimatly criticized.
What did he say at the prospects game? I believe it was "the other guy." He came down to Halifax to promote his dying chain of restaurants and suggested that his parents could be a better influence so we get no more repeat performances of the lacrosse goal atrocity, that very heinous manouver that calls into question his character. Yes i do have a beef with Cherry its why i'm bothering with any of this nonsense in the first place.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
I am getting out of this painful exercise now so i may have been misquoted in my earlier posts. I meant to say Don is a hockey soothsayer that knows all. Sidney has alot to learn and hopefully learns from not travelling across the country with a sore back to a game that means absolutely nothing to him. He will accept the error of his ways and turn the page, after all Gretzky would play in that game with one leg so if he thinks he 's Gretzky..... well...........

Jazz

FreshBrew said:
He's obligated to play (if he was not hurt - which it seems to be now.... :shakehead ) - Hockey is a game which has given him everything he has to date, plus what it will bring him - 2 cross-country flights is not much to give back.

Sammy*

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
What did he say at the prospects game? I believe it was "the other guy." He came down to Halifax to promote his dying chain of restaurants and suggested that his parents could be a better influence so we get no more repeat performances of the lacrosse goal atrocity, that very heinous manouver that calls into question his character. Yes i do have a beef with Cherry its why i'm bothering with any of this nonsense in the first place.
Its kind of a sad day where a guy is attacked for merely stating that in his opinion , it was a hot dog goal (which imo it was but thats about it) & that he thinks Crosby should have played in the prospects game.
I think the guys who hate Cherry have enough ammo without coming up with pretty innocent opinions of Cherrys to hang your hat on.

Sammy*

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
For what its worth, I think what Corson did was disgrace & I disagreed with Cherry on it. That been said, Cherry is one loyal guy & thats a pretty admirable trait (kinda like Slats, who I despise but that quality in him sure is admirable, even though its not his money he's spending on loyalty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad