Don Cherry & Sid Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Once again, the fact that NHL players cheapshot each other more than in any other sport, and don't have the level of sportsmanship to shake hands after the game and say "good game" is a lot more telling than how goals get celebrated. When it's all said and done football players have far more respect for each other than hockey players do IMO.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JasonMacIsaac said:
hockey should not change with the ages and respect should always be the number one key when going out on the ice.

Change with the ages? There were MORE hockey celebrations in the past then there are right now, not less. And they were quite elaborated and ridiculous compared to today.

It is simply our over-scrutinizing, over-criticizing stance these days that is at work here.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
If someone, ON-ICE, feels he was disrespected then it will be resolved on-ice.

That's what I've been saying throughout this thread.

Never commented on the skill required to pull off that move. My gripe was/is with the timing of that play. But again, Vlad, in the scheme of things hockey wise or otherwise, this "incident" is barely a blip on my personal radar screen. To hold any ill will whatsoever toward Crosby would be silly. And, for the record, goals are meant to celebrate, IMO. (Though the game as I know it suggests you celebrate a game winner in OT a bit differently than the tenth goal in a 10-1 blowout.)

Again, as you say, if someone on-ice has an issue with it, they will take care of it, on-ice. That is the way the game has been played since the beginning of time, despite the protests from a few people here.

As someone not on the ice, I'm simply voicing my opinion, as is everyone else here.

The way a couple of people make it sound, the opposing team should have dropped to their knees and bowed or tapped their sticks on the ice in appreciation. :p Exaggerating, of course, to make a point. But, respectfully, it is naive for anyone to think that opposing players wouldn't consider it a blatant act of "rubbing it in" in a game they were already losing decisively.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
JasonMacIsaac said:
Yes, all hockey needs is celebrations, we should go get them dancing like in the NFL, jumping over the glass or spinning/spikeing their helmet.......As you see it is late and I am being sarcastic, hockey should not change with the ages and respect should always be the number one key when going out on the ice.

Nobody had a problem with Tiger Williams riding his stick horsey style after scoring a goal for the 'nucks.

In fact he along with a clip of that goal and the celebration were shown on a recent TSN broadcast.

Where was the outrage then?

Where's the post decrying that celebration as a bad example?

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
If any of you could pull off that move in a game I think you would be doing it. For all of you who think he was showboating or rubbing it in your right he was because he owns everyone in the Q and he knows it. And i'm shocked that Don Cherry would say something like that about a great Canadian player, its almost as if some of you don't want to see Crosby do good.

Sammy*

TexSen said:
Nobody had a problem with Tiger Williams riding his stick horsey style after scoring a goal for the 'nucks.

In fact he along with a clip of that goal and the celebration were shown on a recent TSN broadcast.

Where was the outrage then?

Where's the post decrying that celebration as a bad example?
I think if there was the internet back in those days, you would have heard from alot of p/o'd people.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JasonMacIsaac said:
Is someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to watch the leafs game, no! Shutup and watch something else you baby.

You're a bigger tool than i first thought.

Your reasoning could be applyed to everyone in this thread. Dont watch it if you dont like it.

Why dont you go back on the Jersey board and watch your boring trap hockey or post stupid **** about Halifax getting an NHL team.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JasonMacIsaac said:
How am I a troll, I hear people complain day in and day out about refs, cherry, boring trap hockey, the anouncers and I am getting damn tired of it. You don't have to watch CBC you know, there are other replacment objects like Center Ice, chaning the channel, or watching a different sport. I'l basivly say what I said to him, go cry somewhere else becasue I don't want to hear you.

Yeah but its a message board, you are supposed to be allowed to discuss any subject pertaining to hockey.

You have a mini personal agenda with RyanM, and you attacked him personally.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Sammy said:
I think if there was the internet back in those days, you would have heard from alot of p/o'd people.

Your internet point is taken, however I do remember most people looked at guys like Foligno and Williams as "spirited" players who brought a certain enthusiasm to the game. Cherry certainly didn't point out their displays then.

On a side note: as far as the argument being posted by some around here that he'll get his head taken off next time he does it...... I don't buy it.

What happened to Kovalchuk after he did his pointing at his stick blade while skating by the Oilers bench last year? Nothing.

(fyi- if memory serves me correct he was caught using an illegal curve during an Oilers game {I think it was the Oil}, penalized and then came back to score a goal late in the game with a regulation stick)

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JasonMacIsaac said:
I called him a baby, that is hardly attacking his intellects or his him in general. I said it becasue it is true, every thread turns out to be a bashing Cherry thread which I don't think should happen based on what he gave to the sport in this country. The bad thing is its mostly canadians bashing him.

That is one opinion, and mine is he is a nutcase who doesnt deserve his own show on TV.

Everyone is entitled to their own view.

Last edited:

st_roland

SopelFan said:
cherry_140.jpg
I don't know why, but this picture made me laugh out loud.

Epsilon said:
Once again, the fact that NHL players cheapshot each other more than in any other sport, and don't have the level of sportsmanship to shake hands after the game and say "good game" is a lot more telling than how goals get celebrated. When it's all said and done football players have far more respect for each other than hockey players do IMO.

Are you talking about Canadian football, because there is no way the level of respect american footballers have for eachother even SNIFFS the level of respect i've seen shown on the ice, much less off it. Hockey teams seem to be like families. NFL football teams are a collection of self-obcessed prima donnas.

HabzIsLife said:
1. Crosby's goal was phenomenal, hockey isn't about smacking a guy in the head with ur stick itz about skills and highlight reels! Itz like what he's saying is if Hammuis starts taking the puck from 1 end to the other like Orr did he should get clogged. we want a show, hockey is about skills, encourage kids to show skills, we complain about skills and entertainment in hockey maybe thatz because we train thugz (Mcsorley) and not Turgeon's and Damphousses. Comments like these encourage kids to clog others when they score a "unbeleivable" goal.

2. Celebrations, there fun to watch I love them I watch football just to see what dances they come up with after a Touchdown, they're cool and funny. Soccer also has alot of Cool celebrations. Notice how celebrations occur in sports where scoring is hard. There is nothing wrong with celebrations Jagr had a swete and simple one otherz like to slide down the ice on one knee and pump they're fists. Sidney likes to go Soccer style nothing wrong. I'd be happy to see one guy doing a football celebration. ITZ ALL ENTERTAINMENT man we don't have to take these things so seriously.

People don't HATE.......CELEBRATE!!!!!! :yo: :yo:

I agree on some points. But for me, the NHL isn't just entertainment. Its the last major sport that still holds to the old ways. Its the last sport where the term Respect still holds any meaning. And i know this will make me look like an jerk, but could use just use a "s" instead of a "z"
at the end of words that people normally use a "s" on? Nothing personal.

I think Vlad and Trottier made a couple good points

Last edited by a moderator:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't see how respect got all mixed into this. How is what Crosby did remotely disrespectful? Gawd, pretty soon we're going to have
NHLers on a breakaway stopping and saying to the goalie, "Nah, I'm not going to try to score. That would be disrespectful." No. He scored. That's the point. If the Quebec players didn't like it, they should have tried to stop him. Besides, it was 4-0. Not 12-0. I just find this whole "lack of respect" thing laughable. Lack of respect is a stick to the teeth or a cross check from behind. Not a pretty goal. That's just hockey.

You can also color me unconvinced on the fact that players will go after him, and if he tried that in the NHL, it'd be his last game. Bull. 1) When
was the last time a player got injured solely because he got a nice goal? 2) Why would Crosby's team let that happen? 3) Why would it even
bother the players who got scored on? Shouldn't they be angrier at themselves for letting it happen?

This whole thing is ridiculous. If a game was 9-1 and 20-year old Joe Noskills decided to do that, would anyone really care? Would there be such a giant lack of respect? Better yet, what if Crosby's team was the one down 4-0? And when Crosby tried that, what if the goalie stopped it? I mean, he's just rubbing it in... robbing him of that goal. Total lack of respect, right?

I don't buy any of it.

leighazon

Scarface said:
Cherry is a bastard, he brags about anything out of Ontario, he does criticize european players MORE than any north american players, everyone knows this, its a fact.

I felt bad for Cherry when he lost his wife, but i still hate his guts, he's such a loud mouthed prick, i wish cbc would bring in someone new that actually has hockey sense and isn't biased as much as Don.

I don't agree or disagree with your comments, but I just love the picture of your dog!!!

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Another point of view...

My friend's brother plays with Crosby for the Rimouski Oceanic and here's the reason why Crosby made that play:

Last year, the same Quebec Ramparts ran up the score on Rimouski in a 12-0 game and coach Donald Dufresne, who saw the kid try the same play in practice, told Crosby to use it if he had the opportunity as pay-back.

Otherwise, he wouldn't have tried it.

There's the truth.

Sammy*

Fozz said:
My friend's brother plays with Crosby for the Rimouski Oceanic and here's the reason why Crosby made that play:

Last year, the same Quebec Ramparts ran up the score on Rimouski in a 12-0 game and coach Donald Dufresne, who saw the kid try the same play in practice, told Crosby to use it if he had the opportunity as pay-back.

Otherwise, he wouldn't have tried it.

There's the truth.
Interesting.
In a strange & unexpected way, this confirms what Cherry says.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
What I find funny in all of this is that Cherry has the nerve to call someone a hot dog while he's the worst hot dog of them all! Anyone saw his 'entry' at the outdoor game last week? Come on!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Seachd said:
I don't see how respect got all mixed into this. How is what Crosby did remotely disrespectful? Gawd, pretty soon we're going to have
NHLers on a breakaway stopping and saying to the goalie, "Nah, I'm not going to try to score. That would be disrespectful." No. He scored. That's the point. If the Quebec players didn't like it, they should have tried to stop him. Besides, it was 4-0. Not 12-0. I just find this whole "lack of respect" thing laughable. Lack of respect is a stick to the teeth or a cross check from behind. Not a pretty goal. That's just hockey.

You can also color me unconvinced on the fact that players will go after him, and if he tried that in the NHL, it'd be his last game. Bull. 1) When
was the last time a player got injured solely because he got a nice goal? 2) Why would Crosby's team let that happen? 3) Why would it even
bother the players who got scored on? Shouldn't they be angrier at themselves for letting it happen?

This whole thing is ridiculous. If a game was 9-1 and 20-year old Joe Noskills decided to do that, would anyone really care? Would there be such a giant lack of respect? Better yet, what if Crosby's team was the one down 4-0? And when Crosby tried that, what if the goalie stopped it? I mean, he's just rubbing it in... robbing him of that goal. Total lack of respect, right?

I don't buy any of it.
I have to agree
Cherry's great. I love watching Coaches Corner for the entertainment value and he gets a lot of things right...but he gets a lot of stuff so far off the mark that you have to laugh. Sidney, or anyone else in proffesional sports (yes they are in pro sports) should score when they get a chance,,, to do otherwise would be disrespectful to the fans. If they didn't want him to score they should have had the 4th line on the power play. This is what you do in amateur sports (nothing wrong with it). As soon as the game is overwhelmingly in hand you let the bench play, Only 4 Q forwards were invited to the WJC camp. Others should perhaps been invited (Lambert, Urqhart, Roussin ) but it wasn't for the lack of trying, holding back, being polite (like Don Cherry's so famous for on Coaches Corner)
The problem with hockey is not the lack of skills but the lack of opportunity to show them (clutch, grab) Thats why people tune in for Coaches Corner then out for the second period, maybe back for the third... lets see the highlights. Anyone who can score like Sidney did should do so, no holding back, The goalie/defense should counter it, not whine about it or seek revenge. I like Cherry, and sometimes he really gets things right. (not this time)
If Sidney had done a pirouette on an open net that would be different...but he wouldn't do that. And his celebration after that goal looked pretty tame.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Epsilon said:
Attitides like Cherry's are why the NHL will never be even
be able to sniff the NFL's jockstrap in terms of polularirty.

And that's a bad thing? Don is on the money, play with respect and honour.

Fire Bobby Clarke

Don Cherry was absolutely correct...If Crosby keeps hotdogging someone is going to go after him, and we won't have to compare him to Gretz or Mario b/c he will be severley injured.

I don't care how old you are or what league you are in you should never disrepcet your opponent especialy with a 5-0 lead.

I still dispise Kovalchuk
angryfire.gif
for pumping his fist when he scored the open netter in the world juniors. I don't want to see this kid let his ego go to his head and become a marked man...He had better smarten up or he won't be able to fulfill his potential.

st_roland

JasonMacIsaac said:
He wasn't disrespecting anyone, he wasn't rubbing anything in, there is a big difference. Thats shows you how much the fans love him.

What did sidney rub in? I saw the goal, it was very cool, and from what I hear he didn't do a kovalchuk afterwards. Hes just a kid havin fun, why bring all this malice into it?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I still don't get why this goal was "disrespectful".

Just because it takes a lot of skill and is rare?

Would he have been disrespectful if he had gone end to end and dragged the puck through a couple of guys feet only to turn the goalie inside out and slipped the puck into a gaping net?

And whole premise of "If you can't stop them, hurt them" is why the NHL needs to get rid of the instigator rule.

MontrealSF

Lars Eller.
Aug 16, 2003
Montréal, PQ
Visit site
Jim Bob said:
I still don't get why this goal was "disrespectful".

Just because it takes a lot of skill and is rare?

Would he have been disrespectful if he had gone end to end and dragged the puck through a couple of guys feet only to turn the goalie inside out and slipped the puck into a gaping net?

And whole premise of "If you can't stop them, hurt them" is why the NHL needs to get rid of the instigator rule.

Don Cherry is like a sect... All Ontario is bending to him... pathetic.
Let the kid play and talk about how the Leafs will win the Cup again this year.

The fans in Rimouski paid to see Crosby play and they got a pretty good show for their money.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
TexSen said:
If the people posting their righteous indignation on this thread were so upset about it, how come no one started a thread about it or voiced their concerns by posting on the Crosby thread until AFTER Cherry commented on it? ....
Seems to be a few lemmings around here.
:handclap: Only a few? ;)

I read about this horrible act of disrespect before I saw it, and I was thinking this kid must have done a backflip in front of the other team's bench, flipped them off, and followed that with some fist-pumping to generate this much ire. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Thank god Kovalchuk didn't do this, this thread would be 10 times as long. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->