Don Cherry & Sid Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikrag03*

SopelFan said:
They won't. Coaches' Corner is extremely popular.

Yeah, I love watching it just to see how ****ing Pejorative Slured Cherry can be. It gives me a good laugh.

SopelFan*

Can we go two days without a Crosby praising thread. Put it on the QMJHL forum.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
If you don't like what Cherry says, you don't have to watch him. A lot of people watch Coaches Corner because there isn't another like him (that can be good or bad). He knows his hockey pretty well and I often find myself turning on CBC on Sataurday nights just to listen to what he says. By the way, Crosby's goal was sickening (in a good way :D ). I can't wait to see him in the NHL.

Sammy*

SopelFan said:
Can we go two days without a Crosby praising thread. Put it on the QMJHL forum.
This is a Cherry thread, not a Crosby thread (or at least that was its intent).

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I detest Don Cherry, but every now and then; he makes a good point. When he talks about eliminating no touch icing for instance. Today was one of those days.

I mean; I'm not "incensed" at Crosby's play (esp. when you figure that he's a 16 year old kid, etc) - but it is something that Crosby should learn. The younger he learns, the better.

SopelFan*

Sammy said:
This is a Cherry thread, not a Crosby thread (or at least that was its intent).
Fair enough. Just wanted to get that point across. There is one a day and they all get moved. With all this hype he could very well catch the Alexandre Daigle syndrome.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Douggy said:
OMG! I just saw the play Cherry was talking about... wow.
I believe you underrate the talent of Junior hockey players.......you would be surprised how many of them CAN make that same play, but just never try it. And virtually every forward in the NHL can do an off the ice rap-around, if they are given enough time and want to become a marked man.

Sammy*

leafssuck said:
I never said he hasn't, but it's obvious he knows jack **** about the Q. Quebec and the Oceanic have an intense rivalry and Crosby gets hacked to pieces anyway. More power to him for taking constant abuse and still rubbing it in.

If Doug Gilmore scored the same goal as a leaf against Montreal Cherry would say, “That Kingston boy has some fine lookin’ hands on him!â€
So, I take it you dont agree with his point. Thats fine, but there is some merit to it, dont you think?
Looking at your avatar, you wouldnt be a little biased yourself cause you'r a Crosby fanboy, would you?

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Scarface said:
This is my main point, when your an hockey personality like him, you can't be praising your favourite team and players every damn time, you have to be fair and talk NHL

Far be it from me to defend Don Cherry, but he DOES talk NHL. Cherry covers quite a few issues (whether he does it rightly or not is another thing.) And since when did a person in Cherry's position have to be fair ? His job is to spout off his opinion and he does that (many times without thinking).

Cherry is biased. Cherry is senile. Cherry is a bigot. However, there ARE certain things (some very good ones at that) that he is vehemently against/for and he will call ANYONE out.

I can't recall how many times I've heard Cherry say something to the effect;

"He's a good canadian boy from smalltownville, manitoba; I used to play broomball with his dad Bert; and his mom Sue..sure makes a mean cup of coffee; anyway..good canadian boy...but KIDS...KIDS...you just do not do this; I mean...look at this.."

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Dinosaur Cherry strikes again.

It's hilarious to see him talk about respect for the game, since he is the definition of the old-style showboating coach. The guy had a real sense for spectacle despite being a moron, which explains why he's had more success on TV than behind a bench.

And I strongly disagree with this stunt, even more than usual. Using one of the most popular segment on TV to criticize a JUNIOR athlete. Shame on him for doing that. Crosby probably doesn't even shave, for chrissakes.

I didn't see what Crosby did, so I can't really comment on that. If it was truly reprehensible, then I guess one day it may come back and bite him in the arse. But there's a reason it's called on-ice etiquette.

That's because (surprise) it's handled on the ice. Not during coach's corner.

People are sucking the fun out of the game more and more, particularly here in Canada. Heavy, unforgiving criticisms are all I see. It's not good enough that economics and bloodsucking players agent are brainwashing players and that the internet has given the opportunity to numerous goofs to showcase their mental ineptitude, we've gotta have old Cherry, who can't even properly manage a CHL team, lashing unto 16 years old.

Then we wonder why sometimes our WJC team seems to struggle. Last WJC I was again floored by the media attention, the numerous player interviews (they've got so many they have to show segments during the freaking games). It's actually worse than some NHL teams get in the regular season.

Let the kids play. They'll get enough goofy assholes criticizing them once they turn pro.

Please. There's gotta be something else the guy can talk about.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
Cherry is a brainless old bastard.Im so ****ing tired of his stupid comments.Crosby did the right thing.The rempart wont try to hurt him because they know what there gonna get if they try too.

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
4 straight 100 point seasons, Jack Adams Award and a Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award all in 9 years of coaching, he wasn't too bad IMO.
I think Vlad would be doing quite well if he was as good at his profession/job as Cherry was in coaching.
You see Vlad, he rose to the top of his profession & even there was highly successful, so you calling him a moron & denigrating his accomplishments as a coach is laughable.Frankly, it shows that you'r the moron
How ya doing at your job?

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
So let's get this straight.

One week Cherry and the rest of hockey fans are *****ing about the lack of creativity in the game today, the next we're lamenting a 16 year old kid that scored a goal the way that as far as anyone on this board can remember was only done one other time that has been caught on camera?

No wonder the NHL is in such a sorry state.

I can just picture two years from now some career AHL PIMS leader called up to the NHL for a game or two: "Damn, that Crosby kid sure is good. Don Cherry doesn't like him showing off his skills and neither do I. I think I'll end his career. That'll teach him for training so hard to be the best player in the NHL."

(Don Cherry): "Served the kid right for putting a hat-trick on the board when the Penguins were up four goals already."

Absolutely pathetic.

Ricci's hairdresser

Dec 2, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
He is 16, he has yet to mature and doesn't understand the respect aspect of the game. I guarented when all you guys where 16 you had no respect for the opposing team. Just becasue he has world talents doesn't mean he should mature any faster then you and I.

I think the excuse that "he is only 16" is a load of crap. You can teach a 3 year old to be polite and say please and thank you. Surely, you can teach a 16 year old, who is old enough to have the responsibility of driving a car and has played the game for years and years, the basics of respect and sportsmanship. What a total cop out to pass this off as immaturity. You may not like Don Cherry's bombastic style, but the core of his message is legit. It was disrespectful of Crosby to showboat when his team was winning 5-0 and he was acting in an unsportsmanlike manner. Plain and simple.

Sammy*

Why was this moved?. It is not about a prospect, its about D Cherry.

evman150*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Kind of a bad comparison, protozoa is one celled, no brain, can't really do anything.... i dunno, first thing that came to mind. :)

I understood it.

Don't worry, some people just don't get a lot of things.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Ricci's hairdresser said:
I think the excuse that "he is only 16" is a load of crap. You can teach a 3 year old to be polite and say please and thank you. Surely, you can teach a 16 year old, who is old enough to have the responsibility of driving a car and has played the game for years and years, the basics of respect and sportsmanship. What a total cop out to pass this off as immaturity. You may not like Don Cherry's bombastic style, but the core of his message is legit. It was disrespectful of Crosby to showboat when his team was winning 5-0 and he was acting in an unsportsmanlike manner. Plain and simple.

Good man! :bow:

You see, no one here is suggesting what Crosby did was a crime against humanity. It was wrong, however, it needn't be blown out of context either.

What is really much more disturbing is that a few here are actually endorsing "rubbing it in," or suggesting he "did the right thing." :shakehead

As if the very concepts you cite - "the basics of respects and sportmanship" - are "foolish" as one poster put it. Or unimportant.

Rather than be disgusted at such sentiment, best to be amused, one supposes :( .

TexSen said:
So let's get this straight.

One week Cherry and the rest of hockey fans are *****ing about the lack of creativity in the game today, the next we're lamenting a 16 year old kid that scored a goal the way that as far as anyone on this board can remember was only done one other time that has been caught on camera?

No one is lamenting "the kid." And, creativity is great. Creativity at the expense of respect is not.

No wonder the NHL is in such a sorry state.

Sorry you find the pro game to be so poor. If one's idea of an "improved league" is showing up an opponent with an ill-timed, self-aggrandizing move, sorry again. Give us more slam dunks, more styling for the camera and the "ESPNization" of the NHL! That's progress! ;)

I can just picture two years from now some career AHL PIMS leader called up to the NHL for a game or two: "Damn, that Crosby kid sure is good. Don Cherry doesn't like him showing off his skills and neither do I. I think I'll end his career. That'll teach him for training so hard to be the best player in the NHL."

Pulling off a gimmick play usually reserved for practice is indicative of a player "training so hard to be the best player in the NHL."? :confused: By the way, don't worry. Won't have to wait two years. Play as you wish, but expect retribution. That's the way the game has always has been played and always will be. Even for the latest and greatest prodigal son.

(Don Cherry): "Served the kid right for putting a hat-trick on the board when the Penguins were up four goals already."

Fascinating. Sixteen-year old kid is tearing up the Q and suddenly he's having four goal games in the NHL. Easy as that! :p

Last edited:

HabsoluteFate

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Don Cherry is the last guy in the world that has the right to say someone shouldnt do something. The CENSORED certainly has said a bunch of CENSORED in the past that he never "should have done". Taxpaypers pay his paycheck (including me). He should just CENSORED and let the kid play. A lot of the people came to the games to see Sidney play...by all means put on a show! If Sidney had decided to coast around when it was 5-0 instead of continuing he would have shown a total lack of respect for the fans.

Last edited:

Walsher

Apr 5, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
SopelFan said:
Crosby is a showboater. He better get a Semenko in the NHL.

Kovalchuk is the ultimate showboater yet he doesn't need any Semenko. The league is different these days, it isn't old time hockey. Beside, a guy like Crosby wouldn't be dumb enough to get caught in a compromising situation - if so it would have already happened.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
Personally, I think the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League is known for their celebrations. Don Cherry wasn't only disappointed at Crosby for the Mike Legg replica, but he was also mad at Crosby for his celebrations after each goal. I've seen QMJHL games on tv throughout the past years on CTV Sportsnet, and I have notice that the "Q" is probably the only league among the three Canadian hockey leagues that celebrate like "there is no tomorrow" after a goal. I'm sure if Crosby was playing in the "O" or the "W" that he would not celebrate like this.

As for Crosby's second goal from the Remparts' game, I personally think he was just trying to see if he was capable of doing it in a game situation. I mean when you think about it, if he wanted to look like an "out of this world hockey player", he would of done it in a close game. I mean if you scored that type of goal in a tight game that would look far more sensational. Not to take anyway anything from his goal. Also, from what I have seen from the TSN coverage of the goal, Crosby didn't really go crazy after that goal, he just skated towards his teammates after and his teammates gave him props. Then again, I wasn't there so I wouldn't know. That's just my two cents.

Erngueva

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If Cherry was looking at the situation a little bite closer he will have known that it was a revenge game against the Remparts. The Oceanic had a sign behind their bench with the score 12-1 writed on it. This was to remember them when Remparts beats the Oceanic 12-1 at home last year. Rimouski-Quebec is a big rivalry. And... the Oceanic's play 2 times Quebec in the next week and be sure Crosby have the psychological advantage. And i'm sure Crosby know this.

Cherry is making good point sometime but in this case, he look very stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->