Don Cherry Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Never said he should defend what was said. But he straight up tucked tail and sucked on the Sportsnet teet for a paycheque. It's cowardly what he did.
I don’t think that’s the case. I think Ron is genuinely a left wing guy who believes what he speaks. There’s plenty of examples of Don digging at him and “his left wing pinko friends”.

Plus, Ron doesn’t owe him shit

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This is the part that baffles me the most. We don't live in a pony, roses and everyone holds your hand singing kumbayah together. Sadly, we are going to meet *******s in our everyday life and there are people who are going to hurt your feelings, people who disagree with you, etc.... If you don't want to be offended, someone hurt your feeling or whatever the case may be...... stay inside your home, board up your windows, toss electronics out and get rid of your tv.
I've never understood this argument. This argument is that people are assholes, therefore you shouldn't call them out for being assholes. That's reductive. And then the argument continues: Because there are assholes in the world, you are wrong for complaining about assholes on your television, and that particular asshole has a right to keep his television show. Maybe if we called out bigoted assholes more often, there would be fewer bigoted assholes in the world.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I don’t think that’s the case. I think Ron is genuinely a left wing guy who believes what he speaks. There’s plenty of examples of Don digging at him and “his left wing pinko friends”.

Plus, Ron doesn’t owe him ****
... except that he had his diatribe after Cherry was shown the door, instead of at the time of the infraction. He was cowardly, and I think Ron would also agree and apologize for that as well.

Maybe it's time that Ron - another dinosaur - was also shown the door. Without Cherry, there's no real need for him. That whole hometown hockey thing could be done by somebody who actually lets the guests get a word in now and then (Ron always loved the sound of his own voice, which may be why he no longer hosts a hockey panel between periods). He's a nice guy, a hockey encyclopedia, and I've always liked him, but this is truly the end of an era. Coaches Corner WAS Don Cherry, and so it should go. Brian Burke is already doing his thing on the panel, and a Howie Meeker "x's and o's" show is dull. Pull the plug.

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Don't necessarily like his comments but I fear the cancel culture in which we live. Being offended and or disagreeing is a part of living.

Freedom of speech exists but words have consequences.

Canadians expressed loud and clear how extremely united and tight knit we are and collectively rejected Don. This isn't new, he's said worse before and it just proves there was a constant pattern and it looks like this was the last straw.

Our great soldiers didn't die so people like Don could use their deaths as a means to divide our country by using the poppy that symbolizes their sacrifices. Get f***ed Don.

Last edited:

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
This is the part that baffles me the most. We don't live in a pony, roses and everyone holds your hand singing kumbayah together. Sadly, we are going to meet *******s in our everyday life and there are people who are going to hurt your feelings, people who disagree with you, etc.... If you don't want to be offended, someone hurt your feeling or whatever the case may be...... stay inside your home, board up your windows, toss electronics out and get rid of your tv.

There's also the option of not having a xenophobic 85-year old man making social commentary in the middle of a hockey game.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
There's also the option of not having a xenophobic 85-year old man making social commentary in the middle of a hockey game.
That is exactly it. His views have no business during a televised hockey broadcast. He can go on political talk shows where people that share his ignorant views can watch and enjoy them.

Reactions: AzHawk and tmurfin

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I like how he called out Ron for throwing him under the bus. What a coward.

I think he has a point. Ron is a f***ing hypocrite and he made some pretty racists comments in the past. Him apologizing after the backlash is just to save his job.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I've never understood this argument. This argument is that people are *******s, therefore you shouldn't call them out for being *******s. That's reductive. And then the argument continues: Because there are *******s in the world, you are wrong for complaining about *******s on your television, and that particular ******* has a right to keep his television show. Maybe if we called out bigoted *******s more often, there would be fewer bigoted *******s in the world.

It's called being resilient in the face of f***ers. Call them out for being f***ers all you want or don't bother with them at all. Frankly giving them attention probably just encourages them.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Maybe it's time that Ron - another dinosaur - was also shown the door. Without Cherry, there's no real need for him. That whole hometown hockey thing could be done by somebody who actually lets the guests get a word in now and then (Ron always loved the sound of his own voice, which may be why he no longer hosts a hockey panel between periods). He's a nice guy, a hockey encyclopedia, and I've always liked him, but this is truly the end of an era. Coaches Corner WAS Don Cherry, and so it should go. Brian Burke is already doing his thing on the panel, and a Howie Meeker "x's and o's" show is dull. Pull the plug.

LOL wut?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It's called being resilient in the face of ****ers. Call them out for being ****ers all you want or don't bother with them at all. Frankly giving them attention probably just encourages them.
Okay, so if you are okay with calling out f***ers for being f***ers, I take it you're okay with this reaction to Cherry.

Reactions: Kestrel

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Don't you guys realize that it was all a misunderstanding and had NOTHING to do with racism. Don Cherry always starts his sentences with "you young players" so when he was saying that you guys he meant everyone and then her went on with you come here, that was referring to new Canadians, but overall he was talking to everyone. This whole thing was a misunderstanding that lost control because of social media.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Don't you guys realize that it was all a misunderstanding and had NOTHING to do with racism. Don Cherry always starts his sentences with "you young players" so when he was saying that you guys he meant everyone and then her went on with you come here, that was referring to new Canadians, but overall he was talking to everyone. This whole thing was a misunderstanding that lost control because of social media.
I hope for your sake you're just trolling and don't actually believe this drivel

Reactions: AzHawk and Kestrel

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Nope, he was talking to the "you people who come here" so basically just immigrants.

I'll go even further and say he was strictly talking about visible minorities only because how can he differentiate the white immigrants that come here from white Canadians unless he talks to every non poppy-wearing white person and asks if they're an immigrant or not.

He was talking about the many visible minorities in the dt cores of the GTA when he said "you people that come here".

Also to add, he gave exmaples in one interview of who "you people" refers to and lists immigrants only
“You make one little comment like ‘you people’ and you know how it picks up,” he said. “It could have been anybody. It could have been the Irish, it could have been Scots, it could have been English.”
And in other interviews he says "you people" refers to everyone.
"I did not say minorities, I did not say immigrants. If you watch 'Coach's Corner,' I did not say that. I said 'everybody.' And I said 'you people,’” he told The Canadian Press.
The bolded is a lie. He is a lying man and cannot stop changing his story. His unhealthy obsession with non-Canadians caught up to him.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Okay, so if you are okay with calling out ****ers for being ****ers, I take it you're okay with this reaction to Cherry.

I don't like the xenophobic overtones and also think this is not a free speech issue. I could care less if he said the same thing on a podcast. He has a right to think and say whatever he wants to but can see how a private company has an issue with it.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal

You're right. I had nothing to do with racism. It was xenophobic, not racist. The difference is subtle, but there is a difference.

Reactions: 4Orr

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I mean, implying that immigrants are not good Canadians is basically xenophobia defined.

So I don't know, the dictionary? Merriam and Webster? The good folks at Oxford or Cambridge?

Sure, many would agree that it's xenophobia. So what? Does this mean Sportsnet can make a good case for firing him? Sure.

Does this mean he should be not be given any platform in which to speak which was the context I was responding to? If yes, who decides what is acceptable or unacceptable speech?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Sure, many would agree that it's xenophobia. So what? Does this mean Sportsnet can make a good case for firing him? Sure.

Does this mean he should be not be given any platform in which to speak which was the context I was responding to?
I mean, I think it depends on how you define the term given. He is not entitled to having a private (in the sense that it is a private company) platform to speak, nor does he have a right to keep the Sportsnet gig.

That said, he should be able to go to a park and yell as loud as he'd like (within whatever reasonable restrictions are placed on such an activity) without being arrested.

Reactions: hawksrule and daver
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad