Don Cherry Division #2 Boston Bruins vs. #3 Montreal Maroons

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
And speaking of which, neither are Boston's big forwards. Thornton has never won anything, and Schmidt was notably less potent in the post-season, dispite his two cup rings.

If you think Schmidt wasnt a huge factor in those two cup victories then you're kidding yourself. I don't know if it's a good idea to judge my success in this series based on Schmidt's offensive statistics in the playoffs and the fact that Thornton hasnt yet won a cup. I think alot of players on my team can end up being a more valuble player than Thornton so I dont consider him by biggest forward or one of the leaders of my team. I think Thornton's playoff struggles can be linked to the immense pressure that is put on him to perform. somthing he won't get alot of from my staff.
Speaking of staff, does anyone els think we should have a spot for an assistant coach next ATD? Assistant coaches have quite a bit of responsibility in professional hockey.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Thornton would for sure perform with Bathgate & Jackson on the wings & Orr on D. With Bathgate firing bullets from the right side, Jackson crashing into the slot from the left with his great backhand and Orr wheeling & dealing, Thornton is going to have a lot of room to do his thing.

To each their own, and you could very well be right. Thorton and his ability to come through in the post season is still a question mark to me, although I will say the Boston team is very solid and the question mark around Thorton isn't the nail in the coffin for Boston by any means.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
If you think Schmidt wasnt a huge factor in those two cup victories then you're kidding yourself. I don't know if it's a good idea to judge my success in this series based on Schmidt's offensive statistics in the playoffs and the fact that Thornton hasnt yet won a cup. I think alot of players on my team can end up being a more valuble player than Thornton so I dont consider him by biggest forward or one of the leaders of my team. I think Thornton's playoff struggles can be linked to the immense pressure that is put on him to perform. somthing he won't get alot of from my staff.
Speaking of staff, does anyone els think we should have a spot for an assistant coach next ATD? Assistant coaches have quite a bit of responsibility in professional hockey.

Schmidt was a huge factor in the second win, but was a secondary factor in the first one. But then, after those cup wins, his playoffs were all over the place, some years he was great, some years he failed to live up to expectations. Was he a choker? No way. Was he inconsistant in the post season? Yes. Was he a money scorer? Not really.

The issue is somewhat moot as neither Schmidt nor Thornton will be the team's offensive catalyst. So, the defensive pressure won't be on them.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Schmidt was a huge factor in the second win, but was a secondary factor in the first one.

Here's a direct quote from my hockey history book.
1939 Cup Finals
"In the finals Boston's Kraut Line outshone anything the Leafs had to offer when the teams split two games at the Boston garden. Brimsek allowed the Leafs to just one goal in game three and shut them out in game four as the Bruins won a pair on Maple leaf Gardens' ice. Back on home ice the Bruins captured the series with a 3-1 triumph. Brimsek allowed just six goals in the five games played"

Schmidt was definitely secondary to Brimsek and overall the Conacher-Cowley-Hill line outscored the Krauts, but they didn't bring the all-around presence that the Krauts did.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I'm just finishing up a last minute paper and then I will come on here and post some of my thoughts on this matchup. However I couldn't wait to point out the fact that Harry Sinden is coaching in the Don Cherry division!

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
The third line has a good combination of skill and defensive awareness.

Another thing about my 3rd line is they must be one of the best skating checking lines in the draft. Herbie Lewis was regarded as the fastets skater in the league in his time, Pulford could use his feet effectivly, and I think we all know how great of a skater Modano is. It makes me more comfortable knowing that not alot of top lines will outskate my checkers. It also means if they cause a turnover they can get the puck up the ice in a hurry potentially leading to alot of odd-man rushes.

Last edited:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Here's a direct quote from my hockey history book.
1939 Cup Finals
"In the finals Boston's Kraut Line outshone anything the Leafs had to offer when the teams split two games at the Boston garden. Brimsek allowed the Leafs to just one goal in game three and shut them out in game four as the Bruins won a pair on Maple leaf Gardens' ice. Back on home ice the Bruins captured the series with a 3-1 triumph. Brimsek allowed just six goals in the five games played"

Schmidt was definitely secondary to Brimsek and overall the Conacher-Cowley-Hill line outscored the Krauts, but they didn't bring the all-around presence that the Krauts did.

I was mistaken in saying they won't contribute. The completeness of their game insures that. But, their offensive contributions suffer from inconsistancy.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
While Sinden probably doesn't rate as one of the all-time greatest coaches, I'd have to say he might have the advantage here, as I could see several players running against the grain with Tarasov. There is enough "old school" leadership on the Maroons to offset that though, and if it does, then the advantage swings the other way.

During the regular season, I'd have to say the Bruins have a huge advantage in goal, but this is the playoffs. Battling Billy is one of the best playoff goalies ever, while neither Durnan or Moog could match their regular season success in the playoffs. Of course Billy had better be the man, because with a 5'3" backup and a spare that doesn't have that stellar a playoff record, the Maroons will be hurting without him.

As long as nobody mentions knees, Orr alone is half a defensive squad. Of course Harvey isn't too bad himself. The Bruins have the better top pairing, and a clear edge on the bottom 3, and it's pretty close on the 2nd pairing, so a large advantage to the Bruins. The only real hole on the Bruins D is I don't see an obvious 2nd pp pairing. Orr - Hollett - Seibert & Bathgate?

I have to give an advantage to the Maroons for their 1st line, although that will be somewhat offset by the Bruins having a better checking line. The 2nd lines are close, but you do have to give the Krauts at least a slight advantage. I also like the Bruins 3rd and 4th lines a little better. Overall I'd say the Bruins lines matchup better against the Maroons, and that should overcome the disadvantage on the 1st line.

The series rest on the shoulders of the goalies. If Smith can't hold the fort the Bruins will take it in a walk. If he can, then it might come down to will the Bruins goalies lose it for them. As much as I love Billy, I have to bet on the Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad