Don and Dick Cherry

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
The recent CBC movie about Don Cherry brought back memories of his younger brother Dick Cherry who actually had a longer NHL career:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cherry

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/c/cherrdi01.html

Their career paths were somewhat similar - Boston sponsored junior and AHL, brief overlap 1957-58 in Springfield in the AHL followed by fairly long minor league careers before Dick managed two seasons with the expansion Philadelphia Flyers.

Do not recall any mention of Dick Cherry in the CBC production and Don also seems to be rather silent about his brother.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I was thinking exactly the same thing today. Thought there would have at least been a snipet of him in the movie, and now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever heard Don speak of his brother either.

On the subject of the movie, I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the Eddie Shore portrayal. I was was surprised at how much actual Bruins-Habs footage was spliced into it as well. No matter how many times I see that infamous game, I still hope that one of these times the Bruins will score in OT instead and Don will off the hook. :laugh:

hackeynight

Oct 2, 2009
Dick Cherry lives about 30 minutes outside of Kingston and was principal at my old elementary school for some time in the early 90's.

Great person, great principal.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Dick has been mentioned before by Don. In fact Dick once did a cameo a few years ago on Coach's Corner to the surprise of Don.

Not sure why Dick wasn't portrayed in the movie. The film was done by Don's son Tim so you'd think he'd have touched on his uncle a time or two, but there wasn't any mention of it. I guess the point was to focus more on Don and Rose and the kids. The movie was well done I thought and this is coming from a guy who considers Canadian movies to be foreign - speaking as a Canadian! ;)

Don has also mentioned his parents at times in his career. His mother had some Scottish blood in her (or might have been born there) and Don has commonly described his dad as the "strongest man in Kingston" at the time. I remember distinctly he mentioned his dad as 6'2" 234 lbs. Not 235, but 234, I always found that rather specific

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Cherry Omissions:

The bellweather Memorial Cup winning Barrie Flyers of the early 1950s, launching pad to so many Bruins stars of the 1950`s ,..... Hap Emms, Baldy Cotton, et all,... are barely mentioned...The Goalie Eddie Shore is seen quaintly attempting to lynch is none other than Donnie Simmons, he is not named as such....Punch Imlach coaching in Springfield, the timeline is off....Newly retired Bruin ironman. Cal Gardner was at the Indians helm in 1957-58...

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Joe Pelletier has an interview on his blog with Dick Cherry --

http://broadstreetbullies.blogspot.com/2009/04/dick-cherry.html

Dick jumped a Flyers offer of $22,000 contract with a guarantee to play in the NHL .

"That was a hell of a lot of money in those days," recalled Cherry. "I went to the school director and asked him for a leave of absence to play in the NHL and the thought it was a great idea. So, off I went to Philadelphia.

Cherry earned a niche as a penalty killer but also popped in an impressive 9 goals in his rookie year, helping the Flyers reach the playoffs. His biggest goal came during the opening game of the 1969 playoffs against St. Louis.

"I scored a goal against Jacques Plante of the Blues" Dick remembers. "We ended up losing the game 5-2, but it was quite a thrill to get a goal in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Its a memory I'll keep with me the rest of my life."

Dick played another full season in Philly in 1969-70. His numbers dipped to 3 goals and 4 assists in 68 games. In the off-season he was reclaimed by the Boston Bruins in a intra-league draft. Dick was reluctant to leave the Flyers, as he knew there was little chance he'd play in Boston. He decided to play one more year, even though he'd return to Oklahoma City in the minor leagues "just to be eligible for NHL pension benefits" before retiring for good at age 34.

Dick returned to teaching full time and later became a principal.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Bend Your Knees

One of the more interesting vignettes featured the "Bend your knees" segment with Eddie Shore. The expected re-action would be - Why and how will it improve my skating? How will it help me make the NHL? Not Don Cherry's reaction in the movie.

On the other hand Don Cherry did apply some of Eddie Shore's advice. Brief vignette where Cherry takes and pins a forward against the board only to be lectured by Shore about coming away with the puck produced results.Later in the movie Don Cherry would finish a check and skate away with the puck.

BTW - thank you for the interesting Dick Cherry posts.

tommygunn

Dec 2, 2008
The Goalie Eddie Shore is seen quaintly attempting to lynch is none other than Donnie Simmons, he is not named as such....
Was it? If so that makes it two local Fort Erie residents in the movie.. him and Lynn Zimmerman. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad