Speculation: Don’t trade Gaudreau

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I had better back up on that assertion. I am sure I read it somewhere, but can now only find links to his Dad's cardiac issues. My apologies. If I do find a link to back that up, I will post.

I see JG retweet a Jim Gaudreau who talks about Cancer? No idea who that is though.

JG's Grandpa passed away in March 2020. Story might have gotten buried a little due to Covid and it kinda rings a bell, but I'll just concede I likely missed it.

Flames' Johnny Gaudreau scores special goal after grandfather's death

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
This is not a troll post by any means. I have gotten to know someone heavily employed by the Flames org. and from what I was told last summer was that they have no intentions of resigning Gaudreau. I thought that was a pretty interesting comment and he was very adamant about it. That being said god only knows what will happen post apocalypse.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is not a troll post by any means. I have gotten to know someone heavily employed by the Flames org. and from what I was told last summer was that they have no intentions of resigning Gaudreau. I thought that was a pretty interesting comment and he was very adamant about it. That being said god only knows what will happen post apocalypse.

I appreciate your post, however I truly believe Treliving does not even know what his plans are at this time.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Gaudreau for Seattle's top 10 2021 1st rounder conditional of them taking Lucic? :naughty:

All that cap space, so many new problems! :(

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
How would Monahan's game translate to the wing position?

Asking for a friend.
Very well, IMO. He is a "finisher", tap-in artist and rebound completer. Coming in off the wing is him at his best, offensively. Defensively he could pick a side and concentratey there. No more getting lost in the middle or too high on the circles, then falling back when there is a breakout. He could concentrate more straight lines and cycle in from the walls for finishing snapshots, when being fed by a puck carrier.
Just need to "activate" or find a quality puck-carrying Center?

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Very well, IMO. He is a "finisher", tap-in artist and rebound completer. Coming in off the wing is him at his best, offensively. Defensively he could pick a side and concentratey there. No more getting lost in the middle or too high on the circles, then falling back when there is a breakout. He could concentrate more straight lines and cycle in from the walls for finishing snapshots, when being fed by a puck carrier.
Just need to "activate" or find a quality puck-carrying Center?

I'm a Habs fan. At the time I wrote that, it was clear we would be trading Domi and looking for wingers. We ended up trading Domi for Anderson and signing Toffoli. But Monahan was on my list of wingers to try to acquire.

I'm glad we were looking for wingers! It's very hard to acquire centers - whether via trade or the UFA market. This year, good wingers like Granlund, Duclair, Hoffman, Kovalchuk, and Haula are still there for the taking - without giving up assets!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I'm a Habs fan. At the time I wrote that, it was clear we would be trading Domi and looking for wingers. We ended up trading Domi for Anderson and signing Toffoli. But Monahan was on my list of wingers to try to acquire.

I'm glad we were looking for wingers! It's very hard to acquire centers - whether via trade or the UFA market. This year, good wingers like Granlund, Duclair, Hoffman, Kovalchuk, and Haula are still there for the taking - without giving up assets!

Yep, your right there... but they all want fairly sizeable contracts and most of the NHL does not have available cap space. Lets face it, someone will make it work for each of these UFA's they aren't going to sit out a season. Columbus will take Granlund or Hoffman please

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I think people are way too impatient with Gaudreau, myself included.

The guy is ONE season removed from 99 points. Sure, maybe he was figured out by the end of that season and maybe that's why he struggled hard out of the gate, I wanted him gone back then too but MAYBE we should give a player who is a top 10 forward since he joined the league a little more time to adjust his game to account for this? Two seasons ago people thought they figured him out by slashing the shit out of his hands, he adjusted. Now there seems to be a combination of both, teams figuring out a more effective way of smothering him and a coach who is struggling to use him effectively, but he was starting to pick it up and figure it out before Covid came around. Wasn't he back to PPG after the coaching change? Sure, his performance in the bubble left something to be desired but that's a pretty unique circumstance.

I think we shouldn't trade him until next season. We'll have a much better picture of what he is and if he'll stay.
Good points on keeping Johnny 1 more year.
In doing this, I see it best to target a new Center to play with him. Either find a new fit in-house for him or look outside to make a deal for. Money and Johnny is not going to put us over the top continuing playing together again. Spread out the "scorers" and hope for improvement and growth from our younger core guys to gel on a couple scoring lines.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

I call shenanigans and also believe you at the same time.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
I call shenanigans and also believe you at the same time.
Here’s another fun fact that’s a tad off topic but fun just the same.

I was having a conversation with said person on a Thursday if I remember correctly and I was bitching about Oiler General management of the last few years and brought up Lucic and his shit contract and how I felt bad for him that it didn’t work out for him playing with McDavid like he hoped it would. I also said it was really pissing me off from a fans point of view that they kept playing the contract and not the player. He followed up my comment with a rant on Neil and how much he was getting paid and how shitty he had performed and that they would love to trade him but who was stupid enough to trade for him....Next day I turn on TSN and Lucic was traded for Neil! That f**ker was trolling me! I didn’t see him until the next week and he just smiled and said that that deal had been in place for months and they were just waiting for Lucic’s bonus to kick in...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad