Domi's best vs Garland

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I wince every time he ducks under a guy, gets slammed into the boards awkwardly, or pivots really hard in place. I just expect his knee to explode.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I wince every time he ducks under a guy, gets slammed into the boards awkwardly, or pivots really hard in place. I just expect his knee to explode.
When your 5'6 150 pounds, you better be slippery:)

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Sorry best thing about Domi is that we traded him. Look at the news he's been bringing to the Blue Jackets, very limited offence and high amount of Drama. I think it was vr Florida where he jumped another player. The player didn't want to fight and still had his gloves on. Domi is a cheap dirty player. Garland x 10, hard working, skilled and a joy to watch.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I love Domi, but Garland has the ability to be a much different player, and his shot is amazing. Domi is a great playmaker, Garland is a scorer. We need that more than anything. I feel more comfortable that Garland will choose to stay with the Yotes more than I ever did with Domi, so there’s a security factor as well.

I was thinking about this the other day, I don’t really know of a current NHL player that I can compare Garland to. He’s basically his own mold. The closest I think I can get to his Brad Marchand. Someone recently compared him to Mat Barzal as well, and I can see that, but truthfully he plays so different than them at times. His work along the boards is elite.

With nhl.tv, you get the option to switch over to the opposing teams broadcast. I have done that pretty much every game that we have played against the Blues. The Blues announcer described it the best, said “there goes Garland along the boards, spinning like a top.” :laugh:

Reactions: Canis Latrans

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I love Domi, but Garland has the ability to be a much different player, and his shot is amazing. Domi is a great playmaker, Garland is a scorer. We need that more than anything. I feel more comfortable that Garland will choose to stay with the Yotes more than I ever did with Domi, so there’s a security factor as well.

I was thinking about this the other day, I don’t really know of a current NHL player that I can compare Garland to. He’s basically his own mold. The closest I think I can get to his Brad Marchand. Someone recently compared him to Mat Barzal as well, and I can see that, but truthfully he plays so different than them at times. His work along the boards is elite.

With nhl.tv, you get the option to switch over to the opposing teams broadcast. I have done that pretty much every game that we have played against the Blues. The Blues announcer described it the best, said “there goes Garland along the boards, spinning like a top.” :laugh:
It’s interesting how he uses whatever open ice he can get to work with, in order to create scoring chances. It’s not just the primo stuff. He uses ANY space in the zone as a weapon.

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

It’s interesting how he uses whatever open ice he can get to work with, in order to create scoring chances. It’s not just the primo stuff. He uses ANY space in the zone as a weapon.

agreed, he’s a different breed and I’m so glad he got his chance. Was it Hinostroza that got injured, leading to the Garland call up? If so, Vinnie played a bigger role than he gets credit for :laugh:

Found the full interview with Garland. Good stuff, really a unique personality. I highly recommend watching it. This is the podcast that drew the Barzal comparison. Interview starts at 7:13

Reactions: lanky and Grimes

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018

Theo Flury

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I wish I could remember where I read someone breaking down Garland's skating style - it's not just the quick changes of direction he makes, it's that he gets so low to the ice (yeah, he's already close to begin with, hyuk, hyuk), sometimes even putting his free hand down like a speed skater to make his turning radius smaller. And yes, that low CG does help him get past bigger guys who can't get close enough to have anything but a stick in his way.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I wish I could remember where I read someone breaking down Garland's skating style - it's not just the quick changes of direction he makes, it's that he gets so low to the ice (yeah, he's already close to begin with, hyuk, hyuk), sometimes even putting his free hand down like a speed skater to make his turning radius smaller. And yes, that low CG does help him get past bigger guys who can't get close enough to have anything but a stick in his way.

Here's an example of that in his shootout goal Monday.

nsuCrnL.jpg

Last edited:

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia

Marchand comparison is spot on. I think it's just a youth thing for Garland, but he winds up off his skates often. Part of it is self-induced, so that's not going away, but my guess is he'll get stronger and be able to add the ability to shield the puck on top of his spins to free up space, and then the sky's the limit. His shot needs to improve too according to something else I'd read recently that was comparing him to Marchand. As a bonus, I think Garland knows exactly how to go up to the line, but not cross it unlike Marchand, when pestering, so that's nice.

I'm not sure what the recent deal with him getting a coincidental minor when Gibson went at him, or I think it was Faulk went after him at the end of the last one. I don't know how he could be getting a negative reputation with the refs that's getting him dragged into these phantom calls instead of just drawing a power play. There's also that cross-check to his back from earlier this season when he was skating it freely into the zone on the power play, but that's probably more a case of the refs refusing to call penalties while a team is already down a man. I'm sure there is more, but I don't like entertaining the possibility that the refs aren't giving him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps it's just a youth thing and once he's a veteran they'll give him more leeway.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm a long time booster of Domi's rookie season, it's way better than remembered and it's remembered pretty fondly.
If we're talking Domi's best season here vs Garland it's Garland though.

Domi's best season in Montreal vs Garland is probably pretty comparable tbh with a slight edge to Garland if he maintains this pace.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Sorry best thing about Domi is that we traded him. Look at the news he's been bringing to the Blue Jackets, very limited offence and high amount of Drama. I think it was vr Florida where he jumped another player. The player didn't want to fight and still had his gloves on. Domi is a cheap dirty player. Garland x 10, hard working, skilled and a joy to watch.
Nah maybe if we traded him for Josh Anderson, but we got Alex Galchenyuk who then became Phil Kessel minus POJ.

But yah Garland is becoming the player that I wanted to Domi to be.

Reactions: RemoAZ

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Garland hands down.

And if we're looking for a comparable player, I personally see a lot of Chris Drury in Garls. Drury was a little bigger, but not much. But he had that ability to slip away, drive possession, find his teammates and drive the play. Also see a lot of the intangibles too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad