Dominique Ducharme. Interim head coach of the Habs thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Mathieu Darche as GM candidate? Is that really how low we have to go? Lord save us all...

Won't surprise me.....another familiar name with a familiar face and no experience for the job.
They did this mistakes so many time, never worked, never will.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well, he's given Danno a couple of games with high ice and it hasn't paid off. Let's see what happens from here. He can certainly say he gave him the opportunity to do something. Now he has every right to start giving ice to the others.

He should also play Price next game. If Price doesn't play well, then he's really opening the door to more games for Allen.

It's smart for a new coach to give vets some rope. But if they don't grab hold and pull the team then not much can be said from that player. Esp given the schedule we have and how badly we've played. If vets aren't playing right then others have to be given ice at this point.

It's not about "punishment" either. It's about survival for the season and earning icetime. Vets should get first chance but they have to earn it like everyone else.

That smart strategy lead to 0 win.
I think if you were a newcomer outside the organization, then ya..makes sense. But when he's been here for years...knows exactly what the players are going through, how they've been playing, etc...I don't quite understand.

Ducharme had a chance to come in and completely mix the lines. The team is going through a skid, our three top centers combine for 7 goals, our defense is messed up, you know the history of the team/players...there's no need for you to come in and use Danault as much just cuz he's a vet.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
i hope you are right... but the extent to which he's leveraged his personal relationship/influence on Molson to keep himself in the job this long, despite the obviously and emphatically poor performance across just about every metric one would use to evaluate a GM, gives me little confidence he won't manage to leverage more excuses to extend his tenure

I liked the forethought you have for this, but definitely not the outcome :help:

Reactions: Miller Time

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I don't know how you can play Suzuki and Drouin for 20 min for the most ice time amongst forwards and then NOT start them in OT. Not only that, but he used 2 of the worst options possible. Jets used 3 forwards, but most importantly, they used 3 skilled players. Stevie Wonder could even see how that is more important than positions.

He wanted to shelter them. It’s Jets with last change. Probably wanted to start a D pair and get a better matchup. It didn’t work.

Reactions: swimmer77

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
Same level of experience as MB was with Hawks when hired - recall the plaudits from all corners of hockey including Scotty’s 1-page review translated by Marc DeFoy in Journal de Mtl...
Actually bergie had better experience as scout, head scout and assistant GM, but the main requirements are speaking French and some nhl experience

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Is Larry Robinson available??...at least as a Habs HHOFer, he might get a bit of leeway
Please no, can we just move on from all of these dinosaurs? I'd rather have someone from this board running the show instead of Larry Robinson.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Or...he's a junior coach. Being good there doesn't mean you'll excel in the NHL.

Philosophically though, Ducharme always played to win in Halifax, he was one of the most aggressive coaches I've seen at that level

You can not excel at the NHL level and your fundamental coaching principles stay in tact. The point here is that it is a departure from his normal decision making.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
McDavid is actually doing it right now....just saying. Koskinen has 90.1% with a 3.26 GAA.
But it takes more than McDavid, he got Draisaitl to help him do it.

Just like it took more than a goalie to help that sucking team that we have.
Look at Allen, never had more than 2 goals to help him in his last 4 starts and that's why he got 3 lost in those 4 games.

I honestly don't care that much about Price.
Just like I didn't care at all about Julien either.

I didn't think a coaching change would change anything
I don't think a goalie change would change anything either.
Fix the real problems first.

Trade Price all you want, that team won't win with Chiarot or Edmundson on your top pairing.
This team won't win with Danault playing top 6 minutes cause the other center are too green.
This team won't win if their top line winger score 2 goals per 20 games (8 goals a year)
This team won't win without a good PP and that won't happen without a good D-men to QB the PP
And this team won't win if they keep taking 5 penalties every games.

I can tell you did not watch the Oilers lately , the success is coming from Mike Smith whos 6-1 in 8 games with a .934 2.04 GA
Also Koskinen has still better stats than Price and the Oilers are running on a 5 player teams right now and have much worse dman that habs. Perhaps Mcdavid and Draisailt are unique but still , Edmonton lost to Chicago in 4 games even tho he had 9 points in those 4 games. Just shows you that you can't win the cup without a goalie.

Let me tell you that Chicago was god tier trash during that bo5

Reactions: DAChampion

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I can tell you did not watch the Oilers lately , the success is coming from Mike Smith whos 6-1 in 8 games with a .934 2.04 GA
Also Koskinen has still better stats than Price and the Oilers are running on a 5 player teams right now and have much worse dman that habs. Perhaps Mcdavid and Draisailt are unique but still , Edmonton lost to Chicago in 4 games even tho he had 9 points in those 4 games. Just shows you that you can't win the cup without a goalie.

Let me tell you that Chicago was god tier trash during that bo5

Lately, Smith seems to have the upper hand.....but Koskinen still has been in front of the net twice as much than Smith since the start of the season, and he's allowing more goals a game than Price by the way.

As for D-man.....I take Nurse/Barrie anyday of the week compare to Chiarot/Weber.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Philosophically though, Ducharme always played to win in Halifax, he was one of the most aggressive coaches I've seen at that level

You can not excel at the NHL level and your fundamental coaching principles stay in tact. The point here is that it is a departure from his normal decision making.

It's clear to me it isn't his team...
yet.

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Everything is different at the NHL is different, you're not dealing with kids with no pull who are all just trying to make the NHL.
Now you're dealing with NHL veterans who have more pull than the coach, it's very different and can influence your decisions.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Lately, Smith seems to have the upper hand.....but Koskinen still has been in front of the net twice as much than Smith since the start of the season, and he's allowing more goals a game than Price by the way.

As for D-man.....I take Nurse/Barrie anyday of the week compare to Chiarot/Weber.

Smith was injured to start the season and Koskinen had a rough start.

Ducharme has a tough road ahead. The habs beat up on the Oilers while they had crappy goaltending and on Vancouver, so they made MB look like a genius for going all in. Now other teams are taking the habs seriously, they don't have any proven scorers or gamebreakers, the D is slow, they have terrible special teams, and they take more penalties than anyone.

The players just got one coach fired, the GM knows he's gone if they don't win this year and will go backward due to the cap unless some prospects make the jump suddenly and successfully. Ducharme will have to be very good to come up with a style this team can win with that he can also sell to the players.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
That smart strategy lead to 0 win.
I think if you were a newcomer outside the organization, then ya..makes sense. But when he's been here for years...knows exactly what the players are going through, how they've been playing, etc...I don't quite understand.

Ducharme had a chance to come in and completely mix the lines. The team is going through a skid, our three top centers combine for 7 goals, our defense is messed up, you know the history of the team/players...there's no need for you to come in and use Danault as much just cuz he's a vet.

I am not defending the 3 vs 3 but the guy is going to change alot of things in the system so maybe he felt more comfortable doing all these changes while the players are with their regular linemates.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Actually bergie had better experience as scout, head scout and assistant GM, but the main requirements are speaking French and some nhl experience
I dont mind the no experience, dont mind the french either, but hiring from within no thanks, its not like they learn from an astute gm or a great hockey mind...

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
After two games, I'm getting the impression that Ducharme wants to break Tatar/Danault/Gally, but he can't do it because they don't want to be broken. Increased d-zones starts, couple of offensive shifts with KK for the wingers, more defensive jobs for Danault. Just by how the two Jet games went, I don't think Ducharme sees Danault as 1st line material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad