Dominik Hasek

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Hope someone can help with this, being from Australia we never got any real coverage apart from the 30 minutes of NHL powerweek but i stumbled across an old DVD that Don Cherry released after the 05 lockout and it showed highlights of old playoff games with a few on Hasek when he was with the sabres.

Anyway one thing i noticed on the DVD was after game 7 loses / playoff OT loses all the goaltenders showed some kind of emotion but not Hasek, he just stood up, not emotion at all and just skated away like it wasn't a playoff game and more of a mid week training drill
was this just a Dominik Hasek thing or did he really not care in the final couple of seasons while playing in Buffalo?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Hope someone can help with this, being from Australia we never got any real coverage apart from the 30 minutes of NHL powerweek but i stumbled across an old DVD that Don Cherry released after the 05 lockout and it showed highlights of old playoff games with a few on Hasek when he was with the sabres.

Anyway one thing i noticed on the DVD was after game 7 loses / playoff OT loses all the goaltenders showed some kind of emotion but not Hasek, he just stood up, not emotion at all and just skated away like it wasn't a playoff game and more of a mid week training drill
was this just a Dominik Hasek thing or did he really not care in the final couple of seasons while playing in Buffalo?

a simple answer to your question would be "sort of" to both imo

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Dom was raised in Czechoslovakia behind the iron curtain - he behaves as many other Western Europeans/Soviets of his generation... He is tough as nails and rarely showed much emotion on the ice... He is generally pretty lively off-ice but not during gameplay.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
joshjull has posted at length on that play / end of series. Pretty sure it still irks him.

We always look back on 99.... but it was that 2000-2001 team that I always thought really was the one that could've/should've won one in the Hasek era.

tehinternet

Jul 6, 2012
Like others have said, he was not too emotional on the ice, but played mentally solid (best in the NHL) every game. Maybe towards the end of his last season he might have had some issues with coaching/GM but I question if that really showed on the ice when he was actually playing.

That man truly has a slinky for a spine and has made legendary saves that I'll be telling my kids about.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I think it was just his way of dealing with dejection. Stoic, abrupt, get out of there.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think the man deserves a statue out in Alumni Plaza .. Hopefully one day.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We always look back on 99.... but it was that 2000-2001 team that I always thought really was the one that could've/should've won one in the Hasek era.

Dom may have felt that way too -- it's the non-movement of (or non-signing of) Peca by the deadline that year that was a factor in Hasek wanting out. I still wonder what Peca as a checking presence against either of Mario or Jagr would've done in that series.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I'm not sure how you understand "being emotional".

Nevertheless, he sure as hell wasn't anything like robot - he was really temperative and competitive. Like flipping the goal while failing to clear the puck ( :laugh: ) (and being able to block the shootout that was the result of his action), throwing his blocker to Peter Bondra's head and so on. :laugh:

Damn, he was so entertaining while being such a great goalie at the same time. :amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad